Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitting a CAV filter to TDi42

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    couldn't be bothered culling all the rest of the quote out but here is the CAV filter and the move i made on the GQ.

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Ok been busy under the hood over the last month. I am getting a few things sorted while it's parked up. I am getting it ready for a bigger airbox and hopefully a stainless snorkel through the bonnet at some point.

I have moved the Fuel Primer pump and the vacuum tank to the drivers side and stripped a heap of other crap off the fire wall. I removed the clutch bleed hose and tube and replace the hose and block to allow for the removal of the extra bleed.

This is a Big Job and will take some nutting out to put Humpty Dumpty back together again but it's getting there

Before.

Attachment 52115Attachment 52116

Fuel primer now attached to drivers side battery tray just above the fuel pump. The copper fuel pines across the fire wall are gone.

Attachment 52118Attachment 52119Attachment 52120

I relocated the vacuum tank and used the copper tube as the primary supply to the tank rather than from the tank just to the clutch

Attachment 52121Attachment 52122

Getting there

Attachment 52123Attachment 52124

Stripped out the clutch bleed valve as it's pointless. Phill at the 4WD Shed sells a replacement hose and block without the bleed for the win.

Attachment 52125

Removed the redundant dual battery solenoid and wiring and pulled back a few wires that were no longer being used.

I am going to move the fuse block and have to remount it and sort out al the accessories that were going to the second battery that no longer exists. A bit to do yet but it's coming together

From this

Attachment 52115

To this

Attachment 52126

To this

Attachment 52127Attachment 52128Attachment 52129Attachment 52130

Coming together.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 29th March 2016 at 12:09 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (27th March 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're fitting it in series with the factory filter, use the same size barbs and fuel hose.
    I'm also thinking of adding one of those and I currently have a lift pump which is recommended if you're running 2 filters otherwise the pump will work harder to suck through both filters
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa used a piece of angle aluminium to mount the CAV. A small piece is bolted to the flat that you see in the photo (2 bolts visible)

Also fitted an outboard motor primer in the line from the tank to push fuel into the filters.

On the OEM filter the hose on the firewall side is from the tank, that has been extended (see brass joiner) through the bulb primer to the CAV then back from the CAV to the OEM filter.

If things go all wobbly the line from the tank can be put back in its original spot and away we go... I hope!

IMAG0335.jpg

IMAG0336.jpg

IMAG0339.jpg

You might find this interesting too,

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ters-yes-or-no
    Last edited by macca; 27th March 2016 at 10:47 PM.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Darren & Matt, both very helpful ............ & I'll buy a spare bowl!

I guess it's safe to assume that the 45 litres per hour max flow rate that the 296 filter has, in conjunction wth the factory filter works ok with the pump I have.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the bowls were made from a polycarbonate now so pretty hard to break.

Your pump will work harder as the filters start to clog. A lift pump also resolves all the priming issues.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post

Your pump will work harder as the filters start to clog. A lift pump also resolves all the priming issues.
    Makes so much more sense!! My spare is also glass but again at least 10 years old.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post

What , where, how... can you give us a bit more info on the lift pump set up you have.

The set up I have has been on my Patrol for 6 years and 110000 klm, its working fine. Not sure now ???
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be a bit clearer Cuppa.

IMAG0340.jpg
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Macca, all clear now. I'll be doing as you've done, except will utilise some 3mm ally angle I have. Much better than going over to the other side of the engine bay. Ordered all the bits & pieces online this arvo. Now have to wait for the postman.

For anyone else considering fitting one of these filters as a 'pre-filter' ........ my main concern had been around the potential for a saga with priming each time the filter was replaced, but utilising a priming bulb as Macca has done will deal with that very well. Be aware that whilst there are plenty of cheap priming bulbs available, not all are suitable for for use with diesel.

I also read elsewhere where someone had written with certainty that the fuel lines on the TD42 are 10mm. Just to be sure I eased the hose part way off the factory filter housing on mine & measured the hose tail diameter. It was 8mm.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Took a couple of pics earlier and just getting back to the forum now.. Looking at the way you mounted it Macca I reckon there would only be maybe 500mm of extra hose mounting across the bay. Either way is all good though.

Here is the mounting position I used on the GUIV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

macca (29th March 2016)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast