Thread: Fitting a CAV filter to TDi42

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fitting a CAV filter to TDi42

I'm thinking of fitting one of these to my car, in-line before the factory fuel filter.

mJv_VT3crkz5mPkNNa5ZW5A.jpg CAV filter.jpg

Can anyone answer some or all of the following questions:

1. If you have fitted one to a GU with the same motor where abouts did you fit it? (pic would be good).

2. Why do the filter housings have two inlets & two outlets (Just to facilitate fitting in different situations?) & does it matter which inlet is used with which outlet?

3. What are the two bolts screwed into the top face of the filter housing for?

4. On the factory fuel filter which is the inlet - firewall side or front of the car side of the housing?

5. The easiest & most accessible spot I have to mount it is on the wheel arch on the passenger side of the vehicle (where the aux battery used to be). Is there any problem extending the fuel lines to the opposite side of the engine bay & back again?

6. Do I need 8mm (5/16ths) or 10mm (3/8ths) hose tails to screw into the housing?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I'm thinking of fitting one of these to my car, in-line before the factory fuel filter.

mJv_VT3crkz5mPkNNa5ZW5A.jpg CAV filter.jpg

Can anyone answer some or all of the following questions:

1. If you have fitted one to a GU with the same motor where abouts did you fit it? (pic would be good).

2. Why do the filter housings have two inlets & two outlets (Just to facilitate fitting in different situations?) & does it matter which inlet is used with which outlet?

3. What are the two bolts screwed into the top face of the filter housing for?

4. On the factory fuel filter which is the inlet - firewall side or front of the car side of the housing?

5. The easiest & most accessible spot I have to mount it is on the wheel arch on the passenger side of the vehicle (where the aux battery used to be). Is there any problem extending the fuel lines to the opposite side of the engine bay & back again?

6. Do I need 8mm (5/16ths) or 10mm (3/8ths) hose tails to screw into the housing?
    1 - never done it

2 - Yes & No IE you can use any combination of Ports for single/dual tanks, single/dual power plants, in/out same side etc as long as flow is with arrows and any unused ports are blanked

3 - Bleeding the filter and holding the assy together so the bottom 1/2 doesn't fall in the dirt

4 - Dunno

5 - Functionally no but not desireable

6 - Depends on the housing thread size :-)
    Last edited by the evil twin; 27th March 2016 at 08:41 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (27th March 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have one fitted to the GQ as a replacement of the original rather than in series. I fitted it about 10 years ago at least.

Note the factory fuel filter on a GQ is on the passenger side with fuel lines from the drivers side over and back on the fire wall so placement on passenger side don't be an issue at all.

I gave just fitted a similar filter as a prefilter on the GUIV. I fitted in on the passenger side where factory ABS unit would be fitted. Might have a pic.wull check and post it up. I just extended the factory line before the filter over to the passenger side the back again to the filter.

No dramas at all.

Yes I think the other screws and bolts are for alternate figments on other vehicles.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (27th March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry no pics! Surprised I didn't take any?? Odd! Normally all over that!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problems sealing relacement filters & priming them Darren? Have read some folk have these problems but the alternative of spin on filters with a glass bowl is ridiculously expensive.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No dramas sealing them at all. I tell you though....Once i dropped the glass bowl while replacing the filter.....It DID NOT BOUNCE! I now have a spare in my rear drawers as a spare.

Even fitting it on the passenger side in the GUIV i then had to use the standard primer to pump up, across, fill the second filter, pump back and fill the factory filter and it did it with ease. I just left the hose off until it was primed like i always do. Pump it into a cup until all the air is gone.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (27th March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And to answer 6.

take the new filter with you to pirtek and test fit the barbs you need.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    GQs also came out with the fuel filter on the drivers side...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1. Fit in the main line from main tank. Anywhere as long as its easily accessible for service.

2. Just multiple ports allowing for different mountings. As long as you use 1 inlet and 1 outlet all will be fine.

3. As et said the bolt closest to the mounting flange is the bleed screw. The central one holds the assembly together.

4. The factory fuel filter head has arrows on it. But the one closest to the battery I believe is the outlet.

5. No problem but you are adding quite a bit of line to the system. You could mount it on the drivers side where the lines come up over the coil tower. Have seen a few mounted here attached underside of the tray.

6. Use the largest one you can fit. Make sure the id of the fittings is also larger between 5/16 and 3/8 some cheaper fittings wont be.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (27th March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    GQs also came out with the fuel filter on the drivers side...
    yeah by 1992 was on the Passenger side, not sure what year they moved it over the drivers side. I have just moved mine on the GQ to the Drivers side attached to eh side of the battery tray.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast