OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling a car without RWC what are my obligations?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selling a car without RWC what are my obligations?

I am planning to sell my old Camry without RWC (Victoria).

Is there anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks
    2012 CRD:
    DIYs;
    RedArc Dual battery
    Hifonics audio amp
    Reverse camera

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cancel the rego if still registered & just remove the plates & provide the buyer with a receipt for payment which has the VIN number on it, so they have proof of ownership for when they go to register it.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Irish (26th March 2016), MyGU8 (25th March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You reminded me of some thing I heard about a few years back in WA, Cuppa. Apparently you need a transfer paper, even though the vehicle is unregistered. There was a reason behind it, some thing like proof of purchase and to help make sure the vehicle wasn`t stolen etc etc. No idea if it applies any where else in Australia.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bush Ranger For This Useful Post:

dom14 (26th March 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bush Ranger View Post
    You reminded me of some thing I heard about a few years back in WA, Cuppa. Apparently you need a transfer paper, even though the vehicle is unregistered. There was a reason behind it, some thing like proof of purchase and to help make sure the vehicle wasn`t stolen etc etc. No idea if it applies any where else in Australia.
    In WA it gets complicated. generally if you want to transfer ownership rather than scrap/part out or wreck then the vehicle must be registered prior to the transfer.
    If you want to sell it for parts or scrap or whatever then no problem

In Vic you don't need to do that, only a receipt etc showing details but make sure you have handed in teh plates etc.
    https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...stered-vehicle
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a bit of googling, the recommended process is to keep one plate and let the buyer know of the timelines (say 10 days) to produce a RWC for registration transfer, if not then I can go to VicRoads with the other number plate and cancel the rego.

Is one plate enough to cancel the rego?

Cheers,
    2012 CRD:
    DIYs;
    RedArc Dual battery
    Hifonics audio amp
    Reverse camera

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by escix View Post
    After a bit of googling, the recommended process is to keep one plate and let the buyer know of the timelines (say 10 days) to produce a RWC for registration transfer, if not then I can go to VicRoads with the other number plate and cancel the rego.

Is one plate enough to cancel the rego?

Cheers,
    Why would you want to do that... that is a HUGE risk to you and none to him
    Just do it the way Cuppa and Vic Roads suggest, hand in the plates and sell it unregistered.
    Selling on the presumption that he will get RWC, complete the transfer etc is fraught with danger.
    The car is still registered to you if something goes pear shaped
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MyGU8 (25th March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Just do it the way Cuppa and Vic Roads suggest, hand in the plates and sell it unregistered.
    Selling on the presumption that he will get RWC, complete the transfer etc is fraught with danger.
    Even if the car's registration is cancelled, it will still have your details at vicroads as the last registered owner.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What safety guarantee does it give you even if you sell the car with the RWC?
    RWC is valid for good thirty days.
    Buyer driving off your car(now his car) with the RWC and transfer papers can still keep it driving under your name for thirty days.
    Lot can happen in thirty days, or at least the day the car was sold.
    Only safety I can think of is to put the date and time of the sale on the transfer papers and a receipt and make sure the buyers signature and details are in those papers. If the buyer commit some criminal activity, etc with the car still registered under your name can still get you into trouble, but you can at least produce the paper to prove your innocence.
    The best safeguard I can think of is to go to the Vicroads with the buyer and complete the transfer process there, which non of us paranoid enough to go through.
    That is the only way I can think of guaranteeing the seller's safety, though it's a fair bit of an overkill.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I sold a car with no RWC and it still had registration. The buyer filled out and signed the transfer forms. He said he would get it transferred asap and I didn't think about it again.
    The next year I got the registration renewal in the mail. Took the transfer forms in and straight away they put it in his name and sent him the bill for the rego. They gave him something like 14 days to come up with a RWC too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

dom14 (27th March 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I sold a car with no RWC and it still had registration. The buyer filled out and signed the transfer forms. He said he would get it transferred asap and I didn't think about it again.
    The next year I got the registration renewal in the mail. Took the transfer forms in and straight away they put it in his name and sent him the bill for the rego. They gave him something like 14 days to come up with a RWC too.

You were lucky. If during that time the buyer had scored any fines they could well have come to you & then you have the hassle of convincing the authorities (not VicRoads) that you were not responsible.

A number of years ago I drove our bus up to Melbourne & camped the night outside a factory ready to get a 6 metre awning fitted the following morning. Unknown to me, whilst I slept, some scumbag stole my rego plates. I managed to drive home to Gippsland none the wiser & parked the bus in the shed. First I knew of the plates having been stolen was when I received an infringement notice for parking somewhere I had never been. It was then I realised the plates were missing. I jumped through all the hoops & eventually after 2 or 3 months of letters back & forth the case was dropped. What really peed me off was that I was never told ‘found innocent’, only that I had been let off with a warning!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

dom14 (27th March 2016)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast