Thread: 3 inch lift in a shorty - advice required please

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 inch lift in a shorty - advice required please

hi guys, i had the plan of throwing a 4 inch lift kit into my shorty but, have decided its probably gonna give me way more attention than i need from the pigs and is pretty complicated and expensive to do it correctly, so ive decided to go 3 inch instead. So my question for the shorty veterans or anyone who knows about shorties and 3 inch lifts in them is what are the main things i will have to lookout for and main parts i will need for it to work hassle free. i did purchase most parts to suit my 4 inch, ill list what i have so far then if anyone would be kind enough to let me know what i need and dont need out of my list that would be much appreciated and also what i need if i dont have it.

Parts i have
    - Front and rear tough dog panhard rods
    - Hel Extended braieded brake lines (suited for 4"+ lifts though so unsure these will work that well on 3 inch setup)
    - 6 inch shocks ( was meant for 4 inch flexi coils and extended bump stops)
    - extened bump stops
    - drop boxes
    - extended lower control arms, (not 100% sure on how much longer they are, parts have been sitting there a while and ive forgotten lol)
    - upper extendable control arms
    - genuine castor bushes with no offset
    - bolt in drop out cones + coil retainers
    - tough dog return to center steering dampner
    - extended sway bar links

The list above is just off the top of my head atm, will double check when im home and update!

Also my gearbox has already been spaced down 10mm, would that be beneficial to the famous tailshaft issue? or would a space help out too?

Any input to point me in the right direction is more than welcome
    cheers alex!
    Last edited by Porkeh; 24th March 2016 at 11:28 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will need to do a rear tail shaft flip with the slip joint at the gearbox end so the tail shaft has more clearance above the cross member when at full droop.
    The gearbox output flange ( were the tail shaft bolts to ) and the rear diff tail shaft flange angles need to be the same this is reduce tail shaft vibration.
    You will also need an adjustable drag link ( from the pitman arm to the passenger side hub ).

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Porkeh, honestly sounds like a beast of a project mate, would love one myself if you could please build it for me in your spare time:-)! Please do forgive my old fart worries but I have personally had very scary experiences in SWB 4x4s in my youth on quite steep tracks! They definitely do slip over rises better than any other but when gravity takes over your inches raised suggested and no doubt power to boot behind it all becomes very real!! At best we can clutch drop her down and bend front axles , worst case, gravity sends us toppling backwards:-(
    On the beach, 350 Z28 under my hood in a shorty with the roof off was some of the best memories I honestly do have :-) !!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You tube still appears to be working in HK, will be behind the Mainland Iron Curtain tomorrow. I truly hope this is not someone we all personally know and honestly hope they're unharmed :-(
    https://youtu.be/SW5v9V9a4YU