Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let There Be Drawers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct. Damnit... :-)

Not sure I need one anyway - I may even have enough clearance under the two small drawers for a small "make a sanga" sized slide-out. Will see.

I have just ordered the draw and fridge runners and catches etc. All up $400. But they are good quality stuff from IRS. Could probably have saved a few $ on eBay...

If it works out and people like the result I might make the cut-list and CNC DXF files available for a small fee (to buy beer for my mate that draw them!). That way peeps can DIY their own set!

Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    With a big door drop down table you won't be able to access your fridge when its in use.
    Looking good though. If it all works out make a few kits for$
    2015 GU ST 3.0CRD Auto Wagon, 2" EFS Lift, 5 x Procomp 16s with MT ATZ P3s, TJM Outback Bar and 12000lb Winch, 80l Sub Tank, Redarc 40A DC-DC with Optima Battery and 180w Solar, ARB Compressor On-board, 3" EXHAUST, Rhino Pioneer Platform and Darche Awning, DIY Drawers to come!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my gq system I had a pull out table which took up 50mm of height..
    I had my recovery gear above that and pantry on the other side..
    Fridge was ontop..
    The beauty was you could have everything on the table and if you forgot something you didn't have to clear the table to get it..
    One way to get around your table on large door issue is to flip the draws..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then he can't open 1 draw through the small door with big one shut

5. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

Boinzo (12th March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then he can't open 1 draw through the small door with big one shut
    You'll always want the thing outta the other draw though lol
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put it in the right draw then lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (11th March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha. You guys! :-)

I did originally have it the other way around. But I do like the idea of only opening the small barn door to get my stuff.

Anyone know a good plywood supply and laser cut place in Brisbane?
    2015 GU ST 3.0CRD Auto Wagon, 2" EFS Lift, 5 x Procomp 16s with MT ATZ P3s, TJM Outback Bar and 12000lb Winch, 80l Sub Tank, Redarc 40A DC-DC with Optima Battery and 180w Solar, ARB Compressor On-board, 3" EXHAUST, Rhino Pioneer Platform and Darche Awning, DIY Drawers to come!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boinzo View Post

I did originally have it the other way around. But I do like the idea of only opening the small barn door to get my stuff.

Don't know a supplier but 12mm regular ply is enough..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boinzo View Post

Get creative mate, buy a table saw and go nuts

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always confuse measure twice - cut once with measure once - cut twice.
    If I got a table saw I reckon I'd lose 2 fingers by sundown!

A screw driver I can work fine...

Get creative mate, buy a table saw and go nuts

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boinzo For This Useful Post:

Avo (19th May 2016), BigRAWesty (13th March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok - so I thought it was about time I did an update on this project!

The original plan of having the ply CNC routed fell through. Some of the quotes were just totally shocking. Best quote was $500, worst was $1600. Just for the ply - cut up. So I went to plan B and busted out the trusty jigsaw... as a carpenter I make an awesome photographer...

Anyway - so I just went and picked up 3 sheets of 12mm ply from Bunnings for $120... and got stuck in.

Here's the first step! Trying to get this stuff square was pretty tricky. And very important if you want your drawers to run nicely.

IMG_1723.JPG

I joined stuff with some dowels for extra strength and just glued and screwed.

Starting to take shape.

IMG_1726.JPG

Once I had the cabinet together I cut out loads of 100mm circles to reduce the weight without making too much impact on the overall strength. I also painted the bits that would end up with no carpet over them.

IMG_1727.JPG

Then I got stuck into making the drawers. I can't stress again how important it is that everything is square. In every dimension. As I say I'm a crap carpenter, but I managed to get close enough. Making the cabinet took only a few hours. But fecking around with my messed up, not quite square drawers to get the runners working was a mission. A better woodworker would have this sorted easily!

Here's a test fit to make sure they held what I wanted them too!

IMG_1729.JPG

I also managed to fashion a slide out table between the sets of drawers. This is re-inforced with ally strips for strength and just slides in the gap. Fine for making a cup of tea and a sarny on. I'm still sealing and estapolling that...

The fridge is a tight fit but ok. The circular cutouts help with ventilation so I'm not concerned about that ...

IMG_1734.JPG

So then it was time to cover them up. I used a product called Vertiface. It's the same stuff that is used to cover speaker cabinets etc. It's a little more expensive than marine carpet - but it's easier to work with, lighter, less rough and doesn't pile. It took 5m at $29 per metre to get the job done. I just glued and stapled it.

IMG_1751.JPG

Now - into the truck! I got a bunch of old sharp speaker spikes that co-incidently had M6 threads on them and screwed them into multiple holes in floor - after removing the tie-down points etc. Then I put some cardboard in there that I had cut to the same size as the base of the drawers. The spikes made holes in the cardboard and gave me a sweet template to make holes in the actual base. Then I threw the cabinet in the back and bolted it down with high-tensile bolts. I also fashioned some L brackets that went into the 3rd row seat mount holes and onto the sides of the drawers.

Then I set to work on making the wings. I used some corflute and cut it down until it fitted the gaps perfectly. Then I cut out holes for the electrics etc and whacked the carpet on. The tops are attached with 600mm piano hinges.

The left wing has my ARB compressor and an air outlet. A Waeco 300w inverter (for charging my cameras/laptop). Rocker switches for lights and to the side is a host of ciggie and USB plugs and a voltmeter. I used the Baintech GU panel but repositioned everything onto the original factory panel.

Inside that wing is also a fuse block. And plenty of space for spare parts etc.

The right wing has a 240v inlet to my charger. And a water pump and a tap.

IMG_1753.JPG

All up I'm pretty happy with the result. the drawers weigh around 45-50kg empty I reckon.

A custom cargo barrier from Autosafe has gone in above the cabinet and I've just installed a custom made water tank from Award Tanks in Caboolture. A big shout out to Mick up there. He's a great guy. If you want a tank - he's your man.

IMG_1786.JPG

I'm amazed I managed to do all this myself! In 3 weeks I leave to take it all over the Simmo.... hopefully it all holds together!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Boinzo; 20th May 2016 at 04:16 PM.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Boinzo For This Useful Post:

blocko05 (2nd June 2016), Clunk (19th May 2016), gubigfish (20th May 2016), NissanGQ4.2 (20th May 2016), Woof (20th May 2016)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast