Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let There Be Drawers

Hi All.

My recently purchased 2015 GU has now been nicely accessorised by TJM (pics soon I promise). But there's no way known I'm gonna drop $3k on a set of drawers. I looked at the Titans and I think they are just too heavy for the space they offer. I'm also vertically challenged (my wife even more so) so I need my fridge at floor level. Especially now floor level is nearly 3" higher than last week. I also want to be able to open at least 1 drawer with only the small door open. And I want a flat surface on top of it all.

So I set about designing a set of drawers from scratch. I have read every thread here going back to the stone-age. And I have borrowed ideas and tried to make it work for how I want my truck set up. My design has 3 drawers. 2 narrow ones (300mm less hardware so around 270mm internal) and 1 larger 600mm drawer. The bottom ones are shallow at around 150mm and the bigger drawer is deeper at 260mm. Above the top drawer is a space for my table and solar panel. I'll be putting a water tank between this and the rear seats so the unit is 900mm deep.

I'm also lucky to have a mate who has his own CNC Laser cutter and software - so he is going to cut this lot up for me. I did the design and he is turning it into something that can be built. At this stage I expect the all up cost to be under $500. Once I have the final cut list and plans I'd consider making them available if there's interest.

I intend to add to this thread as this project progresses. Sharing my experiences and f*#k-ups as I proceed. As a woodworker I make a very good computer programmer and photographer. So it'll be interesting for sure.

Here's the design so far. I'd be happy for any advise or input on this. It's designed to fit a CFX40 size fridge on a slide. I will be adding wings etc. But haven't designed those yet.

Patrol Drawers1.png
    2015 GU ST 3.0CRD Auto Wagon, 2" EFS Lift, 5 x Procomp 16s with MT ATZ P3s, TJM Outback Bar and 12000lb Winch, 80l Sub Tank, Redarc 40A DC-DC with Optima Battery and 180w Solar, ARB Compressor On-board, 3" EXHAUST, Rhino Pioneer Platform and Darche Awning, DIY Drawers to come!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Boinzo For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (13th March 2016), Clunk (19th May 2016), jack (10th March 2016), jay see (10th March 2016), Winnie (10th March 2016)