Thread: 12v power for the Kids in the back

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

12v power for the Kids in the back

So a little project I had was to sort out some charging points for the kids in the back of the GUIV for long drives. We need to charge the iPads and other devices. USB charging is all I need.

So I bought some plugs and housings off eBay with a view to fit them to the B pillar but as it turns out they may foul the seat belt for the front seats and was going to be a bugger to install.

Option 2. Into the door. I ditched the housings and fitted 1 to each door. 2 back doors and front passenger for the win.

Now the bastard was how to power them up? I had figured to run a fused circuit from the second battery via a switch. The USB points all have an LED light built in so I had to be able to switch them off via a switch.

Well yesterday I striped off a handle only for a look. Got the multi meter out and found 12v power at the window switch that had constant 12v whenever the accessories was turned on on the ignition. That will do me fine.

I gave Yendor a call to run my plan past him and confirm the window circuit could handle the extra load. All good. He recommended I grab an earth at each point though rather than the existing earth as that went back through the drivers door control circuit.

Here is a very quick and simple job that will make life easy on the road!!

The USB dual plug off eBay.

The window plug disconnected. The White wire with the silver band is the one you want. Far right.

Now note that there is structure under the trim. Drilling from the top using a hole saw in a drill press I drilled through the structure.

I broke off the tabs left using a pair of pliers so I could tighten the locking ring on the back.

Happy days.

Now I made a loom long enough to go from the underside of the plug, down into the handle, behind the trim, out the the hinge area. This is were I grabbed my earth.

Now I cut the white wire with the silver band and using a 3way crimp connector I spliced into this wire

And Bob's ya Aunties Grandma!!!

So the first one probably took 40 minutes including nutting out how I was going to do it, changing my mind, calling Yendor and finishing the job!

Wiring up through a switch from the second battery to the centre console then making a loom out to each door would have taken a good 4 to 6 hours I reckon.

The other passenger door took no more than 10 minutes!!

The front passenger door didn't miss out either

All three doors in about an hour!!! Stoked with the outcome! Thanks Yendor for your advice mate! Winner!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 7th March 2016 at 12:53 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (7th March 2016), blocko05 (18th April 2016), BrazilianY60 (11th May 2021), Family4x4 (8th March 2016), foggs (11th March 2016), gaddy (7th March 2016), Hodge (7th March 2016), Ibbo (8th March 2016), jay see (7th March 2016), lovejones (13th March 2016), MB (2nd January 2020), NissanGQ4.2 (9th March 2016), oncedisturbed (9th March 2016), Rirz (2nd April 2016), SiberianPatrol (9th March 2016), Stropp (8th March 2016), taslucas (7th March 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,385 Times in 6,249 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awesome job as usual Darren! I tried to put some USB points in the back of the centre console but there was not enough room. Door trims are a good idea.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (7th March 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thats a different place I have mine behind the centre console .
    not a fan of mounting any switch facing up but thats just me.
    Looks factory so thats a plus
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

7. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More brains than beauty I tell ya..
    Gunna steal this one.. Wife will be very happy. .
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah they have dust covers. The back of the console is exposed to damaging cords with kids feet. I think this will work really well with the kids on long touring trips. No more "dad I need to charge my iPad!" They are responsible for sorting themselves out.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (7th March 2016), BrazilianY60 (11th May 2021), rusty_nail (8th March 2016), threedogs (7th March 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My mates kids when younger used to cut apples in half using the power windows lol
    so anything facing up would have juice ,you name it in any switch
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (11th May 2021), MudRunnerTD (7th March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    My mates kids when younger used to cut apples in half using the power windows lol
    so anything facing up would have juice ,you name it in any switch
    Haha!! That would evoke an ass whooping!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (7th March 2016)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Brilliant job Darren. May definitely need to pinch this idea for my boy at the back when he begins playing with tablets etc...
    2005 TD42TI

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,260 Times in 6,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah good job mate. Nice and easy for the kids....
    I have done similar but my issue is that my phone, my tablet and the kids tablets use 3.1A outputs. I have one of those Baintech sockets, same as yours, and the anp rating is too low so i have found it takes longer than usual to charge.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah the standard 12v jack is a 2.1amp or a 1amp. That say the iPhone needs 1amp and the iPod needs 2.1amp. If you charge an iPhone on a 2.1amp charger it's like a fast charger. The iPad will maintain charge on the 2.1amp port if it is in use.

I ran hema maps on my iPad for the Simpson trip. It maintained charge and recharged on the 2.1 but took most of the day to climb back up when I drained it.

Each door got a 2.1 amp and1amp port so should handle the job. I was a little concerned with the load but Rodney was confident it would be fine. Happy days.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (7th March 2016), Stropp (8th March 2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast