Thread: Hi new GU TI 4.5 owner here

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi new GU TI 4.5 owner here

Hi, after a lot (and I mean a lot) of umming and arring about which 4x4 to buy I picked up a 99 GU 4.5 TI with 207k on it from Panania with 8 months of unused rego I should get about 600 back from Govco. I wanted something that was big, tough and reliable because I want to do a trip to the top of the Cape later on in the year. Coming from a complete diesel obsessed family I am now a relative outcast haha, but I chose the 4.5 because in my price range the only diesels were di zd30s or td42s with mega km on them. Having learnt to drive on my parents gq td42, its lack of grunt up hills swore me off them for good, and I'm too scared to own a zd30. Some newer CRD ones were also in the mix but they looked to have had a very hard life and many also had bubbly dashboards which is more $.

The 4.5 on injected gas should be ok for my purposes. I'm happy with the way it drives, but there are some small issues I need to address and would happily take people's advice on;

1 - Previous owner has split soft drink into front passenger power window switch, disabling it. WIndow still works from driver control. Will ring wreckers to get a replacement switch. Has anyone changed window switches before? Is it hard?

2 - The front belts on the engine (I think alternator) have some small surface cracks. I think I should change it before the cape. It looks hard because of the lack of space. Has anyone attempted it?

3 - Has slight case of the death wobbles around 85 - 90 km/h. No where near as bad as my parents old GQ which had my Mum scared to drive it at one point, but it is there.

4 - The auto aerial is busted just like on my parents old GQ TD42, but every time I turn the car on or off the motor still works to put it up and down. Is there a way to disable it completely? Radio can still be picked up with it down so its kinda pointless anyway

Wanted a wagon because I hate the look of dual cab utes with canopies. Landcruisers were out because the petrol's LPG tanks were too small, and the only diesels in my price range were 1hz's which have the gutlessness as the TD42's up hills.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoo hoo another gas blower.

Welcome about mate.

You wanted big, tough and reliable? You get it.

I know where your coming from with the diesels.Bad experience with the last 4x4 and was in the same boat, couldn't afford the 4.2 and didn't want a zd30, Yes the 4.2 is the ants pants, but at a cost. I ended up with a 4.5 direct injected. I'm happy with mine as it suits my needs, was completely stock and still have a lot of plans for it.

Doing a cape trip you will need a long range tank and probably a jerry or 2 depending on your fuel range.

1 Window switch, never had to remove one, even tho the rear left window only works from the driver door.

2 You don't know how old they are, change all of them and keep them as spares

3 What kind of condition are the wheels like, if good get them balanced and see how that's goes.

4 Don't worry about it

Enjoy the ride mate.
    Last edited by jay see; 7th March 2016 at 12:12 AM.
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day and welcome to the forum mate.
    1 Never done it but did one on the work Mercedes Vito the other day. Bought it on Ebay. Removed skin on the inside of the door, unplugged the old and plugged in the new. Replaced skin and away. Wouldn't think Mr Nissan would be much more difficult.
    2 Change them and keep old ones, as Jay see said.
    3 What jay see said. Mine has had a gentle wobble 80 yo 90 Kph for two years. Never gets any worse or better.
    4 What jay see said.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate.
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome to the forum , jack it up and check the front wheel bearing.
    and jump in anytime you like and enjoy
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday mate welcome aboard

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, patrol newbie myself, best of luck with that lot. Some of the older hands will help I'm sure.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 4.5 for exactly the same reasons.

You could try and clean the switch with electrical contact cleaner, it worked for mine.

You can replace the aerial mast, but your GU has two aerials, one retractable and one in the passenger side rear window (it kind of looks like a demister) If you plan on replacing your factory stereo head unit (the display is probably playing up) then you need an aerial adapter as the two aerials require a different plug.

If you are doing the cape you should probably replace belts and both radiator hoses. It is easier if you do all at once (I did the clutch fan and radiator too) but it really isn't that hard, the alternator and power steering belts are easy but the air con was a bit fiddly. Also consider extending the rear diff breather (it's really easy) as there are a few deep water crossings. I wouldn't worry about the front diff, gearbox and transfer case breathers as they are already in a good spot.
    WARNING: Using a Tow Ball on any Snatch can KILL PEOPLE!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate