Thread: Drawer system for my GU Patrol.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drawer system for my GU Patrol.

Hi All
    Im part way into my around Australia trip, I just wanted to post some of what I have done so far to the Beast.
    I got her fully serviced by my mates mechanic as I did not know anybody since I have just come back from traveling the world for the last 14 years working on cruise ships.
    My mate put me onto this mechanic who was worth every cent he check the Beast all over, full 10,000 service, put new brakes where they were needed, as well as checked everything out to make sure it was ok as he knew I was traveling Australia.
    Then he got the auto electrician to go over the GU checking all of the electrics as well as the dual battery system and all plugs and wiring, as well as putting a LED strip with a click switch above the back entrance to illuminate when I want something from the back a great addition.
    I put a 9500 TJM wireless rope winch into her, as well as making a drawer system from scratch. I then assembled a Rhino Trade rack and installed it at the shop, Thanks to the guys from TJM for the lift with the rack and all the advice, knowing I was not going to have enough room for a lot of my stuff I bought a MSA travel Bag(its large fits most of the Roof Rack) having traveled through the rain for 2 days I can tell you not one bit of gear was damp, I put all my bedding as well up there. Everything has a place as needed and I am very happy with the additions I have made.
    Sorry, Back to the drawers system.
    I based most of my design on Drifta Drawers just more to my specs as well as deciding on not having a table so that I would have more space in the drawers.
    Should have thought more about a table as I had to buy one.
    I used Marine ply from Bunnings They cut all of my sizes for a $1 a cut, saved me having to do it and gave me square cuts(wood was a bit expensive but worth it in the end)and handles and such from https://trailerpartsdirect.com.au I went for the compression handles as I wanted to get a tight seal when closed. I rebated/rabbets the majority of panels to make it very strong overall and pre-drilled them, this made it easier for me to assemble without clamps or other people.
    the drawers were sides and bottoms rebated and the bottom just dropped in and was glued and screwed, I made both drawers completely and attached the fronts later after I made sure they were ok and fully covered with marine carpet from the same place as the handles.
    each handled front was attached to the drawer after I painted them, I used spray undercoat and gloss black paint but if I had to do it again I would brush or roller it instead. as well as using Sika spray glue for the two fronts and the 2 dividers I made as well. and a can of Sika glue(paintbrush on) for the large areas. The plastic slides(teflon?) I bought from BCF for $12 each I bought 4. this is what the drawers slide on so allow for them 12mm. They are ark trailer skid strips blue, they are big but they work and are easy to install with a place to screw into without affecting the slide. the top had a rebate that the centreboard fitted into to keep it straight and allowed me a straight line to screw into. I screwed this on last after I made sure I had all the inserts and stops figured out for the locking handles, I screwed through the marine carpet in case I need to take the top off for any reason so no glue for this part of the build.
    I have a few mm of gap on each side of the drawer so that they move freely.
    I made the same side pieces as Drifta Drawers to allow me to just put side flaps on each edge and allow me access when needed. I used 90 degree quite thick drop in bars from bunnings, and just rebated a scrap piece of ply for 4 of them then used a bit of cardboard to draw and cut a template to make sure they were tight when placed in, (No Rattling)
    This all took about 9 or 10 days to make but I was not working and all my tools were hand tools. it would be quicker with a table saw and table router.
    Im very pleased with the overall look.
    please let me know what you think.

201608Feb_Chris 4x4_2935.jpg201608Feb_Chris 4x4_2936.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I admire anyone who can make something from timber, not my strong suit lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

5. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

cltchrystal (6th March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mate, It was hard but I did enjoy it

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the double up of pics this is my first time using the forum for this sort of thing

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noworrys mate good job I made some one time and looked like a set of dresser drawers
    but did the job but have since upgraded

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The drawers are unable to come all the way out as I have a spring loaded handle at the back which locks down when you want to get the drawer out for cleaning and I used 10mm or 12mm small 90 degree bent aluminium as the stops for the locking handles and the drawer stops as you can see in the very last picture. I placed velcro inside the drawers and lined them with the same marine carpet, this allows me to take out the carpet to clean the drawers. I get no dust inside as the top carpet folds over and under the top and the drawers then seal themselves when closed.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bloody nice job there mate.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Thanks