OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: whats this king pin shim preload marlarky?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats this king pin shim preload marlarky?

Hey guys

i got leaky hubs, wobbly wheel bearings and my mechanic is flat out like a lizard drinking.

so i want to give it a shot, armed myself with work shop manuals, poured over many internet threads and stacked the shed fridge full of beer. all i gotta is order the seals and the bearings.

so i got my head around it, or so i thought. but everyone talks of king pins, shims, and preloads. i know the shims set the preload. (i hope im right on that assumption)

my question is this, when i replace the king pins do i just reuse the old shims or do i need new ones, and how do i work out if i have to add more and swap to thinner ones to get the right preload. am i going to be right, with just swapping my shims from the old bearings to the new one?

and the next question. considering im not a shUt hot mechanic and im not a completely mechanically clueless, how long should i allow to strip and rebuild the hubs and do the bearings ? 1 day, 2 days a week ? a month or should i just set fire to it and buy a vespa? :P

lol cheers guys

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check out this thread for most of what you need mate

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Rebuild-Thread

You should allow a weekend mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

dom14 (5th March 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers mud runner

that was the the thread i was pinning my hope on lol i must of missed the part on preload, ill give it a re read

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct. The only way to adjust the pre-load is by putting in different thickness shims. So, to do this correctly, you'll likely need several different sizes on hand before you start. Patrolapart has some sizes, but I ordered four (2 per side - top and bottom, 2 sides) of about four different thicknesses from http://partsouq.com (you could also check out http://nissan.epc-data.com). The shims from partsouq were pretty cheap - but you do have to factor in shipping cost and time for delivery.

Don't forget that you should put identical sized shims both top and bottom - this centres the axle vertically and will give your axle seals a better lifespan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dybo For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (5th March 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumped as Dybo's post went into moderation
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The king pin bearings run moly grease do to the limited movment these bearings do and the load they are under.