OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Now The Drivers Door Wont Open!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I wouldn't wish Growler's experience on anyone there is possibly a positive to all this, at least for me. I mentioned previously in Wizard's thread that locking & unlocking my driver's door has always been a bit 'idiosyncratic' ever since I bought the car. Wizard commented that was how the problem on his had begun. However because it works each time, albeit with a bit of dicking around, turning the key in one direction & then the other, it's been easy to convince myself that it 'has some life left in it yet'.

Yesterday I was out & about & three times I had more trouble locking/unlocking than usual. Couldn't turn the key forwards or backwards, giving rise to a degree of panic that I'd 'done a Growler'. Thankfully persistence finally got the key to turn on each occasion, but three times has been enough to make me very reluctant to lock the door again. Were it not for Growler's experience, despite Wizard's warning, I'd likely have continued with fingers crossed, but have now decided that it would be very wise to fork out the $300 for a replacement latch assembly, & not to lock the door again until I do.

So thanks Wiz & Growler

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (4th May 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,411 Times in 6,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now what is your address Cuppa where you park the unlocked car??

@growler2058 are you getting better at gymnastics?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (4th May 2016), jack (4th May 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My yoga is awesome! It's do or die this weekend. I've got a new lock from Patrolapart. With forum discount it's the cheapest option I found. I've searched the Internet and it seems I need to drill the mechanism out to get to the latch to free the bastard (not the key hole) keep your ears out for some screams of anguish or joy this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler2058 View Post
    snip... keep your ears out for some screams of anguish or joy this weekend
    You haven't got time for sex... get out and fix your Patrol
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (5th May 2016), growler2058 (4th May 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My yoga is awesome! It's do or die this weekend. I've got a new lock from Patrolapart. With forum discount it's the cheapest option I found. I've searched the Internet and it seems I need to drill the mechanism out to get to the latch to free the bastard (not the key hole) keep your ears out for some screams of anguish or joy this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs

GOOD LUCK me matey.
    98' Ti, 4.5L, 2" lift, factory rear diff lock with front E-locker, 63% reduction gears
    "GO YOU CROWS"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chubba For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (4th May 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubba View Post
    GOOD LUCK me matey.
    I think I'll need it. Its gunna be as tight as a fishes arsehole getting a drill in there

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    snip... keep your ears out for some screams of anguish or joy this weekend
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    You haven't got time for sex... get out and fix your Patrol
    I think I'll need it. Its gunna be as tight as a fishes arsehole getting a drill in there
    Holy Cow... that explains why there are screams of anguish
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (5th May 2016), growler2058 (4th May 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Although I wouldn't wish Growler's experience on anyone there is possibly a positive to all this, at least for me. I mentioned previously in Wizard's thread that locking & unlocking my driver's door has always been a bit 'idiosyncratic' ever since I bought the car. Wizard commented that was how the problem on his had begun. However because it works each time, albeit with a bit of dicking around, turning the key in one direction & then the other, it's been easy to convince myself that it 'has some life left in it yet'.

Yesterday I was out & about & three times I had more trouble locking/unlocking than usual. Couldn't turn the key forwards or backwards, giving rise to a degree of panic that I'd 'done a Growler'. Thankfully persistence finally got the key to turn on each occasion, but three times has been enough to make me very reluctant to lock the door again. Were it not for Growler's experience, despite Wizard's warning, I'd likely have continued with fingers crossed, but have now decided that it would be very wise to fork out the $300 for a replacement latch assembly, & not to lock the door again until I do.

So thanks Wiz & Growler
    This sound more like a worn key, if the key won't turn it is the barrel not the lock itself. My GU2 ST had the same problem, it worked fine with the remote but was a pain with the key without a remote (I didn't take the one and only remote on the boat incase it got wet). The key wears at the same rate as the ignition barrel, but the door barrels wear less as you usually use the remote.
    Try some powdered graphite in the barrel.
    If you have a new key, get a plain key cut for opening the doors, you can get this one wet, but clean any salt off it before inserting in the barrel.
    Graham

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GeeYou8 For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (4th May 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the thought. No remote on a DX. I'd like to think you are right, but I'm not convinced. Same key operates the passenger door as perfectly. When it opens the driver it works smooth as. The key doesn't look especially worn. Car has only done 170,000 kms, mainly country/outback driving. The pattern seems to fit with what Wizard said. I'll give it a squirt of graphite, but I'm not holding my breath on it being the solution. I'll also try my spare key which is as new.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Holy Cow... that explains why there are screams of anguish
    HAH D1ckhead!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (5th May 2016)

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast