Thread: Pre Cleaners

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pre Cleaners

hi guys, im going on a trip around easter to robe and im wondering whether it is worth getting a pre cleaner? wouldnt it reduced power and increase fuel consumption?
    pre cleaner.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the idea is to use them when you are doing slow work on dusty tracks so the car does not suck in too much dust. Usually its low revs in low range. Could be wrong though.

But out on the highway when the engine is sucking in air as hard as it can, any restriction in air flow can affect egt and fuel economy.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just put one on mine as we're doing a trip soon, (I'm hoping to decrease the amount of insects and dust my air cleaner collects), haven't noticed any decrease in power or increase in fuel consumption, I don't know if this would be the same with every truck, but that's my experience so far.
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only worth doing in a Convoy and dusty environment.. Take a spare element. Check it every day. Beach driving I see no need at all.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

dom14 (7th March 2016)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys dont think i will use it then

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A workmate with a nissan snorkel on a GU7 used a sock type (actually took 2) on a recent trip, clogged it, swapped it, cleaned it. Obviously stopped lots of crap getting to the filter.
    If you can turn the top to face backwards (very noisy) when on tracks you will stop a lot of debris, but if you can turn it around you probably can fit a centrifugal pre filter, I have one that I used for the GQ (steel snorkel) that I swapped over as we left the black top.
    Graham

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeYou8 View Post
    A workmate with a nissan snorkel on a GU7 used a sock type (actually took 2) on a recent trip, clogged it, swapped it, cleaned it. Obviously stopped lots of crap getting to the filter.
    If you can turn the top to face backwards (very noisy) when on tracks you will stop a lot of debris, but if you can turn it around you probably can fit a centrifugal pre filter, I have one that I used for the GQ (steel snorkel) that I swapped over as we left the black top.
    Graham
    I turned my genuine Nissan top around as much as I could (about 120/130 degrees) and it helps heaps in reducing crap in filter and no noticeable change in performance as turbo will suck as much air as it needs. A bit more noise with passenger window down.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would just turn the head around or go but a proper Donaldson pre cleaner
    not sure how effective they on a TD engine
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there