Thread: Roofys Motor Discussion thread

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Roofys Motor Discussion thread

OK Just trying to sort out what is on the table so Roofy can give things some thought. I have had little to do with this to date and happy to stay out of it, everyone is doing a great job. We just need to keep it on point. This thread will let everyone that is interested see how the discussions have gone.

Use this thread for Motor chat ONLY. no talk about fund raising. maybe updates on money only but this is the business end of this project.

At this stage there are 2 thoughts on the table.

*** OPTION 1 ***

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    pm sent ba, contact me please. None of you buggers answer your phone! And ba i only have your old number. Are you all trying to tell me something? Lol

i have found a zd30: Rebuilt 40000ks ago only swapped out for a td42. We are getting a massive discount. A once off for roofy.
    clutch kit , maybe. Fluids gaskets, tune, rear engine seal and welsh plugs. Is all i can think atm . He has the fuel pump and all the hoses etc on the vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodyaussie View Post
    just please note that i am not the decision maker with this whole process and am far from the expert when it comes to zd30's or if a td conversion is at all viable.

I am just putting the case forward and instigating what is needed to get the ball rolling.

There is no super rush so we need not make hasty decisions.

I was made another offer on top of the current offer .....

This is the offer so far from a 4x4 wreckers (will name them soon)

a zd30 with a rebuild about 40,000km ago (cannot confirm parts used) for $1000 there is a turn key warranty only.

Then there is a zd30 that was the owners son inlaws and they know more history and will do it for $1750 still only a turn key warranty.

Now i have not looked into any other options being rebuild or td conversion or 2nd hand engines from elsewhere.

$3500 was raised when i went through hell 15 months ago and can only use that as some sort of gauge.?

I have not spoken to more tech savvy as yet as i have been flat out and have a school music thing on tonight so still wont get a chance.

Now there are the facts at this stage to be seen by all.

F$#k its hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by winnie View Post
    i would be a little worried about that engine if it does not come with any form of warranty whatsoever.
    In saying that though if it has been rebuilt very recently it should be okay... Hmmmm....
    Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    providing that roofy is in agreement i would go for the straight engine swap.
    Roofy gets to keep all his gear and the mean green machine
    added bonus would be a weekend of fellowship during the swap over.
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    yeah i agree. All up to roofy i guess but the beast gets to live again and will be quickest and easiest seeing as there's no extreme rush but needs to be sorted reasonably quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    i should be able to get my hands on an engine crane if need be. What about the option of a rebuilt (probably exchange) engine and putting it in. Need to be from a reputable supplier tho. Recos can be a bit of a gamble sometimes get teething problems but should have a warranty at least.

*** OPTION 2 ***

Quote Originally Posted by pmc View Post
    g'day trendsetters,

on a serious note, if we are going to spend between $3000 and $4000 for a motor for roofy, then i think we need to discount a secondhand engine.

I have located the following motor listed below is situated in clayton south victoria, it is a fully reconditioned engine with 12 months warranty, the mob wants $4600 exchange. I think we could contact these folks they might come to the party and let us have the motor for around $3500 or $4000. Plus the motor also comes with a brand new head and 12 months warranty. The blokes business number is 0400 033 377. I think you folks need to contact this chap asap to see what deal the bloke might offer.

Hi there, up for sale i have afully reconditioned zd30 engine for sale on exchange basis. Happy to let youpickup / post this engine prior to handing over me your existing faulty engine if you are happy to pay an additional $700 core deposit (fully refundable once i receive your old/faulty engine)

this engine is only suited for standard diesel engines and is not suited for commonrail injection system.

Please read through the listing carefully to see all the added extras that’s on offer with this engine, as most of the extras are only offered by us!

This engine comes with a brand new head not a previously cracked / welded head!!

This engine has been completely stripped, all parts hydrowashed.

Cylinders are individually bored to manufacturers specifications than diamond honed & plateu finished (highest quality finish available on the market).

Cylinder head contact surface / deck has been surfaced(milled)

conrods checked for twist & straightness

cam shaft as well as the balance shafts checked for cracks, straightness than linished

crank shaft checked for straightness & cracks, journals measured than compared to factories allowed measurements, if its within specks linished, if not; journals are ground to factory specs using schou crankshaftgrinder

after the machining of all parts they were washed again prior to assembly

brand new cylinder head was assembled with reconditioned valves, springs, caps, collets and buckets, valve clearances set to manufacturer’s specifications using brand new shims.

Oil cooler has been pulled apart, hydro washed, all gaskets and seals replaced during assembly and vacuum tested prior to fitment.

This engine was assembled using all of the following brand new components:

Cylinder head

pistons, pin’s and rings

main bearings

bigend bearings

timing chain & timing chain tensioner

complete gasket set

head bolts

water pump

rear main seal

glow plugs

injector seals

glow plug seals

this engine comes with 12 months / unlimited km's warranty

please note this engine is also available on our shop floor as well as other market places, so it may be sold prior to your purchase / end of this listing. To confirm availability please contact me and i will let you know the availibility.

Item islocated in clayton south victoria, i'm happy to freight these engines atadditional cost australiawide! Any questions or simply call me on 0400 033 377.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmc View Post
    g'day bloodyaussie,

not a problem mate, that's why i stated you need to phone the bloke on (0400) 033 377 and go and check out his business in clayton south victoria. If he checks out to be ok, i personally think that this is the way to go, especial with all new parts, new head and also with the 12 months / unlimited km's warranty.

Ps, a sweetener could be giving this bloke and his business a 12 month free sponsorship to the nissanpatrol forum that if ab agrees with this proposal, on the condition the bloke gives us the engine for $4,000 cash? At present he is asking $4650.00. Tell him about the cause, we have nothing to lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

paul
    does your car have a dual mass or solid flywheel...
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    never looked into it mate wont know till we pull it out but its going to be replaced if needed
    if it is a dual mass then you should replace the fly wheel with a solid one and the cost goes up...

Mudski gets 4terrain clutch from clutch industries for cost and they are right around the corner from here..
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    yeah it does sound ok. This is where finding out what the warranty covers needs to be found out. To maintain the 12 month warranty you may have to fit a new turbo or possibly other components.

Can someone local call or visit this business to sus out the finer detail of the warranty terms?
    here is a list of parts used. ...

Etp cylinder head
    ajusa gaskets
    ndc bearings
    npr or arco piston rings
    teikin or arco pistons and pins
    austral timing chain kit
    derek or bosch glow plugs
    nissan rear main seal
    shininchy valves
    also his best price was $4200..
    Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    ok motor is $4,200
    injectors ??
    Clutch & flywheel ??
    Turbo ?? Can roofy's be used ??
    Oils etc ??

Can we get an up to date figure on the raffle ??
    the warranty covers the engine as long as the cooling system, fuel system or turbo are not responsible.

Now as i cannot see your engine or do not know what condition your components are in i could not possibly say what else you need.

Mudski is the man in the know when it comes to the zd30 and what parts might cost so maybe he could tell you more.

I have done what i can with what time and resources i have and is very limited and without looking at your car or having the strip down process happening its all guess work.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunnertd View Post
    i reckon the raffle should stay open until enough funds are raised. This is where the external opportunity lays. The fund raising is still short of the mark.

It may be reasonable to consider registering the raffle with a permit and going public. Hit facebook in a bigger way. Share on 4wd action page and 4wdtv page. Make it about the raffle with proceeds going to roofy. There is actually real potential to raise quite a bit with the quality of prizes up for offer.

At the moment there is a big gap between $ raised and $ needed to get it done right. We don't really want roofy to make up the difference if we can help it.

Giving the raffle a big push and some time might take it to a td conversion space! Well worth waiting for if its viable. Don't cut it off at the knees for the sake of time i reckon.

Everyone has done a great job and the generosity has been fantastic. Patience is our friend.

*** THIS IS OPTION 1 AGAIN ***

Quote Originally Posted by mudrunnertd View Post
    i sent clint read a message the other day and just got off the phone with him now. Here is an option that he has just put on the table.

He is in the conversion business. He pulls out zds all day and fits tds and lss.

He has a client recently that had a zd30 that blew up 40,000kms ago. The client had the motor rebuilt and recently the fuel pump crapped itself. He drove it in for a td conversion.

The zd30 is sitting on the floor of his shop. It has 40,000kms since a rebuild and at a push he could get the receipts from the previous owner. It has a blown fuel pump. He offered it to me for $1500. The warranty is this... If something is wrong with it or parts bolted to it he will send us whatever we need to get it going. Dual mass conversion, zircon pump, ps pump, whatever!

At the end of the conversation he offered it to me for $1,000 to help us out. This may even be the offered engine that mudnut mentioned on the first page of this thread? No idea?

This would be doable with the current funding.

For consideration.
    clint didn't hesitate when i explained roofy's situation. 60% off a $2500 motor is just fantastic.

We were going to thank him, heaps whichever way we go with this.

As ba wrote, clint also had another engine that they knew the history of, for a bit more.

My understanding is that Option 1 would nearly be viable with the funds raise as it stands today. Option 2 would need at least another $3k raised at a guess?

For your consideration.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 2nd March 2016 at 12:13 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bob (2nd March 2016), Sir Roofy (2nd March 2016), Woof (2nd March 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    MR, also add what Clint said about stuff going wrong to both the secondhand motors.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work Darren.... Here are my quick thoughts before darting off to start my new career..

Yes the deal from Clint is very good but there is always the worry that it could repeat the same problem in 12 months time but who knows may last many many years.

The reco engine also has its merits but higher price tag means less money for other important things.

The conversion is not on the cards as far as I see as this is about getting Roofy back on the road not pimping his ride and there is far to much work needed to get this happening.

Now the decision needs to be Roofy's as any decision comes a heavy weight and it comes down to him.

I am going to step aside as I have too much going on in my life right now and the added stress of this is not what I need right now (despite some comments about sucking it up)

And Darren looks like he is prepared to step up... I will help out of course when needed but for now need to concentrate on whats going on here.

Roofy try to keep a clear head and do not let your decision be rushed.

Good luck.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Bob (2nd March 2016), Chubba (2nd March 2016), growler2058 (2nd March 2016), Irish (2nd March 2016), mudnut (2nd March 2016), Rossco (2nd March 2016), Stropp (2nd March 2016), Woof (2nd March 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I also agree we should keep the fundraising open for as long as possible and look at other audiences if Roofy can manage without a car?

Just had another pm from a member asking bank details.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

PMC (2nd March 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [B]Quote Originally Posted by mudrunnertd View Post [/B]

i sent clint read a message the other day and just got off the phone with him now. Here is an option that he has just put on the table.

He is in the conversion business. He pulls out zds all day and fits tds and lss.

He has a client recently that had a zd30 that blew up 40,000kms ago. The client had the motor rebuilt and recently the fuel pump crapped itself. He drove it in for a td conversion.

The zd30 is sitting on the floor of his shop. It has 40,000kms since a rebuild and at a push he could get the receipts from the previous owner. It has a blown fuel pump. He offered it to me for $1500. The warranty is this... If something is wrong with it or parts bolted to it he will send us whatever we need to get it going. Dual mass conversion, zircon pump, ps pump, whatever!

At the end of the conversation he offered it to me for $1,000 to help us out. This may even be the offered engine that mudnut mentioned on the first page of this thread? No idea?

This would be doable with the current funding.

For consideration.

Seems to be the most viable option if further funds prove difficult to obtain.
    Roofy would need to be in agreeance of course

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So has this Clint bloke got any TD42's with 60% discount?

….................... On the move

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (2nd March 2016), Winnie (2nd March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshead View Post
    So has this Clint bloke got any TD42's with 60% discount?

….................... On the move
    Yeah I spoke at length with him about that and he made it pretty clear we were No where Near it. Conversions are fairly straight forward if you gave a donor car but sourcing all the parts is a massive job and time consuming. Also a TD out of a GQ into a GU is also a little more complicated without a donor car. Bottom line though it's a $10k conversion on a good day.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (2nd March 2016), Irish (2nd March 2016), Maxhead (2nd March 2016), mudnut (2nd March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now on me taking to reins... I have made this thread to clean things up cause I can and it needed to be done. I am working 70 hours a week and then Daddy Daycare for another 30 cause Naomi works Arvo shift. Definition of Hammered!

I am happy to steer a little but this is all about Roofy. It's a Crowd Funding. Go with the flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Now on me taking to reins... I have made this thread to clean things up cause I can and it needed to be done. I am working 70 hours a week and then Daddy Daycare for another 30 cause Naomi works Arvo shift. Definition of Hammered!

I am happy to steer a little but this is all about Roofy. It's a Crowd Funding. Go with the flow.
    With your guidance Darren I am willing to help out

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (2nd March 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    also happy to help out with what ever needs to be done.

my thoughts to the replacement motor (having gone down this exact path not even 12 months ago) are that the ZD30 replacement would be the best solution for now. it may only give Craig another 12 months in the driver seat but it may also give him another 5 years or longer. what ever extra time it gives him in the car will give Craig a chance to start putting pennies away for the inevitability that the motor will one day possibly need to be replaced again, the only difference would be that he would be prepared for it and can go down the conversion path.

thats my 2cw anyway.
    Last edited by rusty_nail; 2nd March 2016 at 09:34 AM.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Bob (2nd March 2016), Chubba (2nd March 2016), lhurley (2nd March 2016), MudRunnerTD (2nd March 2016), threedogs (2nd March 2016), Woof (2nd March 2016)

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast