Thread: Heavy Duty Clutch Gu

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heavy Duty Clutch Gu

hi guys, i have a 2001 manual and im running out of clutch travel, i want to change to a heavy duty clutch but i dont want to break the bank too much but i am willing to pay a bit extra for a good clutch, also is it a possible job to do in the driveway over a few solid days?
    cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If your strong as an ox to lift the box out and can lift your Patrol up high enough yeah it can be done. Should you do it. No way. I did it once before on the floor of my garage. No way Jose! Never again. We even had an engine crane going inside the cab and through the transmission tunnel to lift out the box. And had the Patrol siting on another set of tyres just to get the clearance. And we only just did then.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What engine have you got mate? The GU Gearbox is Bloody Heavy.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As for clutch types and brands. There is the Clutch Industries 4Terrain, the Safari Tuff Clutch, Viper, UFI etc etc
    Last edited by mudski; 29th February 2016 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    If your strong as an ox to lift the box out and can lift your Patrol up high enough yeah it can be done. Should you do it. No way. I did it once before on the floor of my garage. No way Jose! Never again. We even had an engine crane going inside the cab and through the transmission tunnel to lift out the box. And had the Patrol siting on another set of tyres just to get the clearance. And we only just did then.
    Sounds like you over thought it a bit lol. I did mine in the garage by myself with an engine crane. The patrol only had a 2" lift and 31s. Plenty of room to slide the box back. The hardest bit is lining it back up. Which I did need assistance with for that bit. It is hard work though. Sometimes the ease of paying a mechanic is certainly worth it.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its a 2001 3.0l i was thinking mabye i could use 2 trolley jacks

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Sounds like you over thought it a bit lol. I did mine in the garage by myself with an engine crane. The patrol only had a 2" lift and 31s. Plenty of room to slide the box back. The hardest bit is lining it back up. Which I did need assistance with for that bit. It is hard work though. Sometimes the ease of paying a mechanic is certainly worth it.
    No... We just wanted plenty of room under the truck. The more the better. Removing the box is the easy part. I did that part by myself. It was the refit that was a pain in the butt.
    I have to do mine, again, I think my clutch has a busted spring or something in it. It jingles every now and then. Lol. I can't afford to get a mechanic to do it at the moment but I have too, as theres no way I'm doing this again on the floor.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The 4 Terrain comes in a handy wooden box. Ideal for either some camping gear,
    or some recovery straps ,shackles etc,
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there