OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Another coil spring installation HELP...!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another coil spring installation HELP...!

Hi All,

To avoid worrying about stock spring popping out with Koni 82 2" shocks, I bought King Springs to get it installed myself.

REAR: I undid sway bar both sides, and shocks and bring the diff as low as safe the stock springs are keep on extending and not coming out.

I think I was almost there but chickened out of popping a brake line.

Can I go lower, not worrying of brake lines (getting it replaced) but how low I have to go to get the springs out and if I managed to get the stock springs out will I b e able to get the kings (KDRR-45) back in with the same space...?

Thanks all for your hep..
    2012 CRD:
    DIYs;
    RedArc Dual battery
    Hifonics audio amp
    Reverse camera

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do one side at a time and remove the wheel and drop it to the ground. I can fit a 5" spring without spring compressors.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MyGU8 (18th February 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Undo the brake distribution block off the diff housing too, and unhook it off the mount by flexing the solid lines a bit ... this will give you a bit more room to move. Undo the diff breather hose, and you will be away

Fronts are the hardest, but you needn't have paniced .. your springs wouldn't have fallen out just driving around ... they wouldn't even move.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    Undo the brake distribution block off the diff housing too, and unhook it off the mount by flexing the solid lines a bit ... this will give you a bit more room to move. Undo the diff breather hose, and you will be away

Fronts are the hardest, but you needn't have paniced .. your springs wouldn't have fallen out just driving around ... they wouldn't even move.
    Yep, diff breather already out. Haven't unhook the brake lines for LH side which is in for now.

I may have to do the RH tomorrow and thinking of getting the fronts done by the guys.

I have planned to go to Adelaide for Easter so didn't want to end up middle of the road somewhere with my family. That's why I thought of getting it done.

Thanks for the help HappyGU and MD
    2012 CRD:
    DIYs;
    RedArc Dual battery
    Hifonics audio amp
    Reverse camera

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by escix View Post
    Yep, diff breather already out. Haven't unhook the brake lines for LH side which is in for now.

I may have to do the RH tomorrow and thinking of getting the fronts done by the guys.

I have planned to go to Adelaide for Easter so didn't want to end up middle of the road somewhere with my family. That's why I thought of getting it done.

Thanks for the help HappyGU and MD
    You don't have to undo any of the brake lines at the ends of the axles ... they should all be good.

Only the block which you took a picture of to ask where the spacer went ..... and you only need to undo this, as you have undone the shocks, which are the limiting factor for the suspension travel, and pushing the diff housing down past the normal length of travel may put stress on the flexible brake line from the body to the diff. Undoing the locating bolt just means that it can pop up a little if you stretch it too far.
    Remember to bolt it back down when you are done, as you don't want it vibrating unnecessarily, or getting snagged by a stick in the bush

Mic
    Last edited by happygu; 18th February 2016 at 11:05 PM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    You don't have to undo any of the brake lines at the ends of the axles ... they should all be good.

Only the block which you took a picture of to ask where the spacer went ..... and you only need to undo this, as you have undone the shocks, which are the limiting factor for the suspension travel, and pushing the diff housing down past the normal length of travel may put stress on the flexible brake line from the body to the diff. Undoing the locating bolt just means that it can pop up a little if you stretch it too far.
    Remember to bolt it back down when you are done, as you don't want it vibrating unnecessarily, or getting snagged by a stick in the bush

Mic
    Mic, cannot thank you enough Mate.

I will give it a crack tomorrow and see how it goes.

My 140k service coming up so thought of doing all this so I can ask the guys to have a quick look too (under extended warranty so need the authorized service).
    2012 CRD:
    DIYs;
    RedArc Dual battery
    Hifonics audio amp
    Reverse camera

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I was able to fix the RH rear spring this morning, but decided to get the fronts done by the guys (cost me $60, although later found out the shock bushes were tightened too much which Koni not recommending to do, so I had to loosen it up a bit, but the guys were helpful to get it done first thing in the morning, kudos )

When i installed the RH rear I popped a hose from rear diff lock, hope that's not an issue.

I would have done the fronts as well if I had the right tools and plenty of time (this time wifey wasn't grumpy, so it took a bit of stress out).

All I had was a bottle jack, a scissor jack, two jack stands so it was a bit of a trouble and time consuming to get the springs in, so I think I have achieved something remarkable here.

I also noticed that the lift wasn't really 2" more like about 1" (KDFR-42 and KDRR-45).

The car drives beautifully now, really happy with the outcome, would be excellent if raised 2".

To anyone looking on doing this yourself, I wouldn't say it was difficult, but if you don't have the right tools it may be troublesome and time consuming.
    For me it was more of a panicky and timeconsuming thing, without the right tools.

MuDRunnerTD/Mic thank you so much for your timely response, which helped me to relax a bit and get the rears in on time and properly, thanks guys.
    Last edited by MyGU8; 19th February 2016 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Almost forgot
    2012 CRD:
    DIYs;
    RedArc Dual battery
    Hifonics audio amp
    Reverse camera

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MyGU8 For This Useful Post:

Clunk (19th February 2016), happygu (19th February 2016), MudRunnerTD (19th February 2016)