OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone made the treechange move?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    City slicker!!

Yeah. but only temporarily until we become swaggies.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (16th February 2016), Stropp (27th July 2016), Winnie (16th February 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I miss it, but we’ve now had a town change (or at least as close as we are ever likely to get to living in town). We are now ‘blockies’ on a mere 2.5 acres, 10 minutes from town, can see the neighbours house across the paddock & even get a daily postal delivery & a weekly rubbish collection. Heck, we even have a bitumen road to our front gate!
    And the occasional forum visitor!
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (17th February 2016)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    We all get just one life. No good thinking ‘wish I’d done it’ when laying on your deathbed.

You don’t need as much money as you think you do ............. unless you want to live city style out in the sticks.

You may need to burn bridges to follow the dream - we could never afford to move back into the city, but we’d never want to. You gotta know what you want.

We made our ‘Tree Change’ over 20 years ago. Both of us worked & then worked harder in the evenings & weekends. Everything was expensive, mainly because we were time poor.

Then I gave up employment, we lived on a single wage & I had the time to do stuff (which I loved) which saved us heaps.
    Ooh, feeling inspired!

Even though our income was halved our standard of living did not drop, we ate just as well, we still did the things we liked, we just didn’t need to spend as much money to do so. . We grew our own veg, raised our own meat, collected our own eggs, firewood & water.

We lived 30kms from the nearest town & loved the lifestyle. It’s not for everyone but it was great for us. No neighbours in view. Total freedom to live & be as we wanted. Even afforded a few overseas trips - but we were largely happy to stay home. Reality is that property & stock are quite a responsibility & a tie, but if you love it it’s not hard most of the time. When it’ is hard it can be bloody hard, but you get through it. (e.g.. delivering dead calf late at night , by torchlight, in a howling gale). All forgotten when the freezer’s full, the wood’s collected & the fire warm & toasty. Always something to do.

I miss it, but we’ve now had a town change (or at least as close as we are ever likely to get to living in town). We are now ‘blockies’ on a mere 2.5 acres, 10 minutes from town, can see the neighbours house across the paddock & even get a daily postal delivery & a weekly rubbish collection. Heck, we even have a bitumen road to our front gate!
    That sounds bloody awesome.

My wife hates bugs, and convinced her parents to build a house a few blocks from us, so that's another hurdle to get over - not the end of the world though.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought of moving to a country area with a big industrial site eg the Hunter Valley where you may get an IT job in a coal mine but can still live out of town. I think of country areas with mines/abbatiors/steel works etc Maybe somewhere near a power station. The other option would be to look for an IT position with a regional council. I'm sure there are heaps of options if you really want to do it. As cuppa said above, you only get one life... Make it happen.
    2014 ST Plus GU Patrol 3.0 CRDI, Nissan Steel Winch Bar, Domin8r 12000lb Winch with Dyneema, Roo Systems Rock Sliders, 2" Dobinsons Lift, 2.5 x 2.5 awning and full length steel roof rack. More to be added soon

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well a few years ago my wife and I moved from Brissy to Cairns as a tree change ... pleased to see the back end of the city ...it was a big jump to leave the security of a good job etc but after being up here in Cairns for a while you really see how regional areas have there plus and minuses I got a job related to my trade but it just didn't work out for me so we ended up buying a takeaway shop of all things, while that's going ok ...we just bought a Patrol so eyes are now looking for the next step

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    You could work towards a plan.

If your knowledgable with I.T you could lock in a few clients to offer remote support, learn website development, Seo, graphic design, php scripting, flash designing, animation, online marketing and build a solid cliental and if stable you could work anywhere in the world if it has good interment.
    ☝🏼️I didn't understand a word of that 😝

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprock View Post
    ☝🏼️I didn't understand a word of that 😝
    My Babel Fish translated it as "look out, AB is on the Piss and a PC at the same time"
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We moved from Brisbane to the Kimberley almost 3 years ago. I managed to find a great job in my field and have managed to continue to grow my experience. Small towns can provide surprising opportunities if you are willing to take a risk or two. Life is so much less stressful!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i went the other way... would like to get out of the city again...
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    You could work towards a plan.

If your knowledgable with I.T you could lock in a few clients to offer remote support, learn website development, Seo, graphic design, php scripting, flash designing, animation, online marketing and build a solid cliental and if stable you could work anywhere in the world if it has good interment.
    better not rely on good internet in the country then,
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast