OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone made the treechange move?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone made the treechange move?

Been a white collar worker my whole life, other than the odd Summer stint in factories when I was young.

Has anyone (specifically, people in IT/middle management) made the treechange? I'd love to live rural, and having two small kids (almost 3, and 4 1/2), I think it'd be great for them to grow up with a bit of land.

Problem for me is that there's not too many jobs for my experience (and buggered if I want to start removing spyware from people's computers for $30 a hit). I considered doing a trade a while ago, but my body is knackered (arthritis + a lifetime of riding motorbikes = painful to do anything for an extended length of time).
    Last edited by pjhsv; 16th February 2016 at 04:59 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My original career was IT based, and then jumped ship onto a trade, now I'm climbing towerlines and playing with high voltage... But at the time had plans to move north... Career swap was the best thing I ever done, but the treechange never eventuated unfortunately... Still have hopes to some day make it happen though... Everytime we drive to high country for example, gets the juices flowing. "Would love to live here, would love to live there.....".
    One day.
    2005 TD42TI

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!

I went out to Emerald yesterday to pick up some rear seats for my GU, and the guys house was amazing. From his driveway, which was still only 3 car lengths long, you could barely see his house because of the forestry between the dirt road and the front door. Made me very jealous

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would move to Bright or surrounding areas in a heart beat. Problem is my kids are too old to move, just starting high school. So we are looking at semi rural but its so bloody expensive.
    I reckon our tree change move might be when the kids have moved out now.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (16th February 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Three aspects of the "Tree Move", are that if you get injured and become unable to continue in you current employment, your options are very, very limited.
    It is easy to move to the country, but hard to get back into the city housing market.
    Family support is diminished because of long distances.
    Pretty poor public transport.

The upside is, it is 10 minutes to the doctors, five minutes to the chemist,a 1/4 hour wait and 10 minutes home again.
    House prices are way lower too.
    Our nearest neighbour is 150 metres away.
    I get to live in a very beautiful area.
    Last edited by mudnut; 16th February 2016 at 05:46 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

mudski (16th February 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I would move to Bright or surrounding areas in a heart beat. Problem is my kids are too old to move, just starting high school. So we are looking at semi rural but its so bloody expensive.
    I reckon our tree change move might be when the kids have moved out now.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk
    Same - first it was we were newly married and she wanted to be near our Mums and Dads as I worked up north, on the gas pipeline not the recent mining boom. Then there were kids and school, then there were kids moving out with partners, then grand kids and now bloody great grandies and we are still in Perth suburbs. Good life overall though.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could work towards a plan.

If your knowledgable with I.T you could lock in a few clients to offer remote support, learn website development, Seo, graphic design, php scripting, flash designing, animation, online marketing and build a solid cliental and if stable you could work anywhere in the world if it has good interment.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    You could work towards a plan.

If your knowledgable with I.T you could lock in a few clients to offer remote support, learn website development, Seo, graphic design, php scripting, flash designing, animation, online marketing and build a solid cliental and if stable you could work anywhere in the world if it has good interment.
    Yeah, I've thought about that. Done a fair bit of penetration testing, network and server admin work, but I just don't really like IT. Currently working as a Project Manager, and it's fantastic. There's still PM roles in rural areas, but they're often short term contracts from consultants ex-Big City.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all get just one life. No good thinking ‘wish I’d done it’ when laying on your deathbed.

You don’t need as much money as you think you do ............. unless you want to live city style out in the sticks.

You may need to burn bridges to follow the dream - we could never afford to move back into the city, but we’d never want to. You gotta know what you want.

We made our ‘Tree Change’ over 20 years ago. Both of us worked & then worked harder in the evenings & weekends. Everything was expensive, mainly because we were time poor.

Then I gave up employment, we lived on a single wage & I had the time to do stuff (which I loved) which saved us heaps.

Even though our income was halved our standard of living did not drop, we ate just as well, we still did the things we liked, we just didn’t need to spend as much money to do so. . We grew our own veg, raised our own meat, collected our own eggs, firewood & water.

We lived 30kms from the nearest town & loved the lifestyle. It’s not for everyone but it was great for us. No neighbours in view. Total freedom to live & be as we wanted. Even afforded a few overseas trips - but we were largely happy to stay home. Reality is that property & stock are quite a responsibility & a tie, but if you love it it’s not hard most of the time. When it’ is hard it can be bloody hard, but you get through it. (e.g.. delivering dead calf late at night , by torchlight, in a howling gale). All forgotten when the freezer’s full, the wood’s collected & the fire warm & toasty. Always something to do.

I miss it, but we’ve now had a town change (or at least as close as we are ever likely to get to living in town). We are now ‘blockies’ on a mere 2.5 acres, 10 minutes from town, can see the neighbours house across the paddock & even get a daily postal delivery & a weekly rubbish collection. Heck, we even have a bitumen road to our front gate!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I miss it, but we’ve now had a town change (or at least as close as we are ever likely to get to living in town). We are now ‘blockies’ on a mere 2.5 acres, 10 minutes from town, can see the neighbours house across the paddock & even get a daily postal delivery & a weekly rubbish collection. Heck, we even have a bitumen road to our front gate!
    City slicker!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast