Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question HELP - Upgrading shocks

Hello All,

I just ordered full set of Koni's (82's) from suspensionstuff.com.au to upgrade only the shocks for now until I get some cash to buy King springs later on.

I am planning to do the upgrade myself just using factory jack (and stands).

Is there a particular place I need to jack up the body to get the shocks out (front and rear)?

Replies also welcome on upgrading the coils later on.

Thank you.
    2012 CRD:
    DIYs;
    RedArc Dual battery
    Hifonics audio amp
    Reverse camera

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shocks are easy and can be done from the ground ( once you get the original nuts loosened ).

I find it a little easier to lift the body a little in the rear, so as to get your body under with a bit of room to move your hands into the top shock nuts to undo them. Rear bottom nuts are the easiest of all.

Fronts can be done off the ground, but it can again be easier to swing a spanner with the wheel removed. If you want to keep the old shocks, then getting the nuts undone can be tricky, as the spanner flats to hold the shocks on the end of the pins, can twist off whilst undoing the main nuts. Use Penetrene of similar to help.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

MyGU8 (10th February 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    Shocks are easy and can be done from the ground ( once you get the original nuts loosened ).

I find it a little easier to lift the body a little in the rear, so as to get your body under with a bit of room to move your hands into the top shock nuts to undo them. Rear bottom nuts are the easiest of all.

Fronts can be done off the ground, but it can again be easier to swing a spanner with the wheel removed. If you want to keep the old shocks, then getting the nuts undone can be tricky, as the spanner flats to hold the shocks on the end of the pins, can twist off whilst undoing the main nuts. Use Penetrene of similar to help.
    Thanks HappyGU much appreciated
    2012 CRD:
    DIYs;
    RedArc Dual battery
    Hifonics audio amp
    Reverse camera

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly recommend you borrow (or buy) a rattle gun for the backs and a ratchet spanner for the front. You can do it without them, but it does make it much quicker and easier.

I presume you ordered shocks that are suitable for a lift (i.e. not standard height). Also, when you are ready to buy springs, have a good look at the flexy coil springs, they are fantastic!
    WARNING: Using a Tow Ball on any Snatch can KILL PEOPLE!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JME_GU For This Useful Post:

MyGU8 (17th February 2016)