Thread: Negative Switching Headlights?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Negative Switching Headlights?

Hi Guys

My son brought a 2006 Toyota Hilux Ute (that was the first problem) and then he wants to install two spotlights (second problem) because the wiring is negative switched which has me buggered, so after explaining the facts of life to him for buying a Toyota he said it was all my fault because i would not sell him my TDi42....?
    Anyway after trawling the internet trying to find out how to do it right(to many conflicting idea's) i came upon this two solutions

Option 1.
    Relay ports:
    30 > Battery +
    86 > Battery +
    87 > Spotties (i assume the positive)
    85 > Rear of headlight, red wire with yellow stripe. (yep i found that one)

Option2.
    Toyota headlights are switched negative.
    3 wires - 12v+, low beam, high beam

with head lights off you will meter 12v to ground on all wires
    with low beams on the wire that meters 0v to ground is the low beam switch
    with high beams on 2 wires will meter 0v to ground
    the high beam wire will have 12v on low beam & 0v on high beam
    wire your spot light relay from battery positive, through the dash switch, through the relay and onto the high beam wire.

I was hoping an electrical guru here can confirm if either of these are good to go or do i go back to searching the internet.
    Now i know why i got a Nissan )
    2006 Y61 Nissan Patrol TD42Ti Modified Turbo & 3' Exhaust Compliments of United Fuel Injection Perth WA
    Great White Spotties and Bar Light, Ironman Barwork the rest is standard "What more do you need it's Already a Nissan Patrol"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    send yendor a pm he's the man
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

4. The Following User Says Thank You to my third 256 For This Useful Post:

mojo53 (9th February 2016)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Mojo,

Your second option will work as long as the vehicle does't have HID headlights fitted.

The 12 volts that switches on with high beam on at the back of the headlight plug is actually the low beam circuit. This is how negatively switched lights work. This doesn't matter you can still use this feed for your spot lights.

So find this wire. It should be the wire going to the only horizontal pin in the back of the headlight plug. Join your wire to it and connect the other end to your spotlight switch in the dash.

Other end of spotlight switch goes to 85 terminal of the relay.

Pin 86 of the relay connects to earth.

Pin 30 of the relay connects to battery positive via a suitable fuse.

Pin 87 of the relay connects to the positive of your spotlights. Don't forget to connected the negative of your spotlights to earth.

There is another way to wire the spotlight relay using the negative switching but the above will work fine.

Cheers Rodney

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

mojo53 (11th February 2016), MudRunnerTD (11th February 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for that Yendor that solves my problem, i am assuming they are standard halogen headlights but as he only got it recently i will check them first, i know he has 2 sets of spotlights 1 LED and 1 Halogen is that diagram good for both or will the LED be a problem.
    You say there is another way to wire them as well? makes you wonder why they would make it so complicated.
    Anyway cheers for the help, i will make a start on them when the weather cools down a bit, had 3 days of 45 so far...not doing anything in that temp except hibernate.

Regards
    Mojo
    2006 Y61 Nissan Patrol TD42Ti Modified Turbo & 3' Exhaust Compliments of United Fuel Injection Perth WA
    Great White Spotties and Bar Light, Ironman Barwork the rest is standard "What more do you need it's Already a Nissan Patrol"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Yendor

Decided to work at night as it is cooler, fitted the LED spotties wired up as per your instructions and away they went first time, no smoke no flames no problems so i must have got it right.
    I reckon you deserve a six pack for that help, but as you are not here i will personally make sure they don't go to waste.
    I will file those instructions away for next time some idiot buys a Toyota and wants to fit spotlights....

Cheers mate and thank you.
    Mojo.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojo53 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (11th February 2016), Yendor (11th February 2016)

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you got it sorted. I'm sure the beers went down real nice.

He can run what ever type of driving light he wants to via the relay. It will work fine.

He will only run into problems if he fits HIDs or LEDs in the headlights.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Yendor

I didn't realize you were so thirsty, those first 6 didn't even touch the sides.
    I tested the spotlights and they worked fine on high beam and went off on low beam as normal so i left it at that.
    My son's girlfriend was checking things out as she brought a new sound system for the car and discovered that she could switch the spotlights on with no headlights running, low or high beam, nothing (yes she is blonde).
    So i thought i better check to make sure she wasn't having a dizzy spell, and she was right the spotties came on when she hit the switch and no other lights were on.
    I assume that has nothing to do with negative switching or does it, and how do i get rid of it.

Cheers mate

Mojo

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm always thirsty lol.

What happens if you turn the spot light switch off when high beam is on?

What type of spot light switch did you use? Did you connect any other wires to the switch?

You did connect terminal 85 and 86 at the relay as I described?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

mojo53 (13th February 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Yendor

If you turn the spotlight switch off when high beam is on the spotlight turns off as normal
    The Spotlight switch is a Rocker type switch from Auto One and the only wire connected off it is the wire from the center terminal White/Black Stripe from the RHS Headlight 3 pin plug and it returns to terminal 85
    Terminal 86 connects to earth
    Terminal 30 connects to the + on Battery
    Terminal 87 Connects to the + on the Spotlight and the Negative of the spotlight goes to Negative on the Battery.
    The Spotlights are 120mm LED connected with Deutsch Connectors.
    The 3 way plug wiring looks a bit shabby and looks like it had something connected at some stage then removed and taped up, but is is taped and not shorting out and probably needs replacing in the near future.
    I will try and attach a wiring diagram of what i have done and i also have the Toyota wiring diagram out of the manual if you need it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toyota Driving Light Wiring Diagram for Rodney.jpg

I will try again with my attachment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast