OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did I do the right thing? What would of you done?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Did I do the right thing? What would of you done?

I have mixed feeling regarding this so what better way to resolve them then but on a public forum right??.... well it's cheaper then therapy . Sorry for the long post, I was trying to give a detailed explanation of events. Please feel free to skip to summary.

Some mates and I went for a wheeling session out at Glasshouse Mountains last night. For those of you that don't know the area, it has tracks ranging from easy to extreme, with most of the easy tracks being a clay like base that turns to mush after rain. It had been raining on and off for the past 3 days so our group had plotted out a rough course based on the track conditions, driver and vehicle capabilities (our group had 2x Patrols, a Great Wall and a Trition).

All was going well. After about 40 minutes we came to this hill climb. Those in our group that wanted to attempted it could and those that didn't would wait at the bottom for us to return.

I was first to go up. The hill climb was about 150 meters long steep and washed out in places but the base was firm so no real dramas. I get to the gates, that was the agreed place to turn around when I noticed a 4by sitting in the dark. All of a sudden this young guy walks up behind us and says "that's my vehicle, it has a busted CV and my mate is 30 meters over that way, hard up against a tree and can't move forward or backwards".

So I go over and have a look and they are trying to chop down this tree with a shovel. I lend them my axe, they chop down the tree and are able to drive the vehicle about another 5 meters before coming to a halt. I am unable to get my vehicle in a position to winch from the front and his vehicle has no recovery points on the rear. So we try to remove the towball so a shackle can through the hole. Once again I loan them tools, unfortunately the thread is damaged and we are unable to remove the towball.

From here the recovery became less then ideal and the risk/danger factor increased. Now, I won't going into details what we did to eventually get the vehicle out but I did try at all times to make sure everyone was safe and the risk to my vehicle was minimal.

In summary.

1. Our group gave up valuable time. (We're all old ...have family, work and life in general commitments. This makes it hard to get out 4bying). We made sure our route was suitable for our vehicles and the recovery equipment that we carried.

2. They had ill-prepared vehicles. Only had very basic recovery gear (strap and shovel) we ended up using our own axe, hand tools, electric winch, high lift jack and Max Traxs to get him out.

We lost about an hour and a half to two hours of our night helping these guys, basically because they weren't prepared for the conditions. Not to mention the unsafe recovery measures I had to use in the end to get him out.

Once again I'm sorry for the long post. Basically did I do the right thing? what would of you done?. We were split 50/50 in our group if we should of helped these guys or not.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (9th February 2016), Bigcol (9th February 2016), BigRAWesty (7th February 2016), Bloodyaussie (7th February 2016), Irish (8th February 2016), Kimbo63 (8th February 2016), my third 256 (7th February 2016), snicko (10th February 2016), Woof (9th February 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am a sucker for punishment when it comes to helping those in sticky situations. I would help as one day you could be in a similar position due to unforeseen circumstances. Hopefully they have learned a thing or two from your example. A gold star for you.
    Last edited by mudnut; 7th February 2016 at 05:27 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (7th February 2016), Kimbo63 (8th February 2016), my third 256 (7th February 2016), Woof (7th February 2016), Yendor (7th February 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You did the right thing mate, even if it did pi$$ you and your crew off.....................I would have done the same as you and would have been pi$$ed off as well hahahaha
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (7th February 2016), Kimbo63 (8th February 2016), Yendor (7th February 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ofcourse you did. I help any one out whenever I'm able. You can't just leave them there
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lucus30 For This Useful Post:

Yendor (7th February 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say you done the right thing Rodney,

Regardless of the unsafe recovery measures you might of used you got the person out, and I'm sure you done it in the safest possible manner, just think how would you feel if you left them and found out a few days later that one died from their own stupid actions trying 2 recover themselves
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry Yendor, I can't agree with you. Whatever the cause is attempting unsafe recovery is not acceptable at all means.
    You cannot risk anyone's life for material recovery.
    I would have ask them to contact professional recovery services and it would have learnt them a lesson as well without risk.

Sorry again
    2012 CRD:
    DIYs;
    RedArc Dual battery
    Hifonics audio amp
    Reverse camera

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MyGU8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately you do the best you can and recovery the needy..
    If any equipment was damaged I'd be exchanging numbers and getting the gear replaced at a minimum..
    Down this way as many now the sand can bite and take you in.. I have recovered a few now and most are very grateful and more than willing to pay something..
    We never accept (well we did accept January last year as it was bloody hot and the darren and crew saved the day and we all shared a beer).
    It's the ones that thinks it's their right that you must recovery them that piss you off..

Anyway.. I would have done the same mate.. I bet you would have felt guilty as hell had you left em there.. questioning if they were out, safe, feed or water even..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity was it the great Wall and triton drivers against the recovery??
    😆
    Last edited by BigRAWesty; 7th February 2016 at 07:34 PM.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You were not obliged to do anything at all Rodney, if you had have kept driving and left them, then that is not the wrong thing to do either.
    You did a good thing though, well done.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (8th February 2016), Yendor (7th February 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your a good man Rod , i could not imagine you not helping , yep they maybe twats , but just maybe they learned a few things too .

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaddy For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (7th February 2016), Yendor (7th February 2016)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast