OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unusually high EGTs after a full engine rebuild?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Imo I would just do the lifters easy to do and valve set is not a big drama only because if you use hyd lifters you change the duration of the cam moving your power band up the rpm range also you will find there will be a loss in power and torque I could go into details on this but it will probably get to confusing
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimbo63 For This Useful Post:

SiberianPatrol (7th February 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo63 View Post
    Imo I would just do the lifters easy to do and valve set is not a big drama only because if you use hyd lifters you change the duration of the cam moving your power band up the rpm range also you will find there will be a loss in power and torque I could go into details on this but it will probably get to confusing
    Thanks, Kimbo! From my research, the head and hyd lifters that were put on it are the same as are on the GQ RD28T, but the cam is mine from the GU RD28Ti. I assume the lifters should be interchangeable without any problems?

Can you give me some more details about the differences in the lifters causing the torque and power loss? I'm a shade-tree mechanic and know my way around a vehicle, but some of the details on how things exactly work are unknown to me.

1999 GU RD28Ti; mechanical injector pump, 5kBt Webasto circulation heater, 33" Yokohama Geolander I/T, SaaS boost & EGT gauges, 2" Ironman suspension...more to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sure A solid-lifter cam has acceleration ramps that take up the valve clearance gradually, then start lifting the valve. By running the hydraulics, you've effectively increased the duration of the cam lobe by lifting the valves on the acceleration ramps.Due to it having 0 clearance this change in valve timing will make you lose power as it is also the same profile on the down ramp of the cam lobe so if your exhaust valves are open sooner and longer you will loose power out the exhaust hence the higher EGT hope this helps
    Another point regarding boost it would not hurt to increase boost this will only help running your engine in however I would sort the lifter issue first as this can have serious consequences ie valve float
    Hope this clears things up a bit
    Cheers Kimbo
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimbo63 For This Useful Post:

dom14 (8th February 2016), SiberianPatrol (7th February 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure A solid-lifter cam has acceleration ramps that take up the valve clearance gradually, then start lifting the valve. By running the hydraulics, you've effectively increased the duration of the cam lobe by lifting the valves on the acceleration ramps.Due to it having 0 clearance this change in valve timing will make you lose power as it is also the same profile on the down ramp of the cam lobe so if your exhaust valves are open sooner and longer you will loose power out the exhaust hence the higher EGT hope this helps
    Another point regarding boost it would not hurt to increase boost this will only help running your engine in however I would sort the lifter issue first as this can have serious consequences ie valve float
    Hope this clears things up a bit
    Cheers Kimbo
    Makes sense. Thanks for the info. I'll take it back to the shop that did the rebuild and get them to replace the lifters. Is that the only thing that will need to be swapped out?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I found this site read the section on cam profiles
    http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2012...d-lifters-101/
    Cheers Kimbo

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimbo63 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let's start there mate and see how it goes as you have no dyno let's use that big hill of yours as the mobile dyno will be good enough for me to help you out
    Cheers kimbo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimbo63 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What sort of boost controller do you have?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of boost controller do you have?
    Just a simple inline controller that I got from Mudski a while back

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That cool is it sort of like this
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Genui...-qExceapIWsVwg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same idea. This is the one I have http://m.ebay.com/itm/Dawes-Devices-...590?nav=SEARCH

1999 GU RD28Ti; mechanical injector pump, 5kBt Webasto circulation heater, 33" Yokohama Geolander I/T, SaaS boost & EGT gauges, 2" Ironman suspension...more to come

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast