OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unusually high EGTs after a full engine rebuild?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unusually high EGTs after a full engine rebuild?

Just had my RD28Ti (1999 GU) completely rebuilt and have been driving it now for about 250km and am noticing a different trend with the ol' Patrol. When climbing any kind of incline in 4th gear, my EGTs skyrocket almost immediately to 400-500C post-turbo. Before the engine rebuild, I could get part-way up in 5th before the EGTs hit 400C and if I dropped into 4th, it would finish the climb in the 300-350C range. Now, I'm having to back off in 4th to get the EGTs down to a normal temp and I can't take any hills with any kind of speed at all. This is even in sub-zero weather here in Siberia.

Is there something I should be checking for, or is the engine really running that much hotter now with everything tight and full compression?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check boost also check your cam timing could be out
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimbo63 For This Useful Post:

dom14 (7th February 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo63 View Post
    Check boost also check your cam timing could be out
    Boost is the same as its always been - cruises between 5-7psi @100kmh with it maxing out around 10.5-11psi under full load. Will check the cam timing

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberianPatrol View Post
    Boost is the same as its always been - cruises between 5-7psi @100kmh with it maxing out around 10.5-11psi under full load. Will check the cam timing
    Other thing that can lead to high EGT inter cooler and air inlet restrictions over fuelling fuel pump timing let me know how you go checking also can you fill us in what your setup is exhaust inter cooler any other mods
    Cheers Kimbo
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other thing that can lead to high EGT inter cooler and air inlet restrictions over fuelling fuel pump timing let me know how you go checking also can you fill us in what your setup is exhaust inter cooler any other mods
    Cheers Kimbo
    Intercooler, exhaust and all intake is factory stock - except for the K&N air filter. Intercooler is not leaking and radiator is stock.

I have a boost controller that I haven't fitted yet because I'm breaking in the engine first then I will fit it.

Other mods I have are a 2" lift, 33" tires. The only other thing not stock is the injector pump - it was changed over to a mechanical one 6 months back (before the rebuild). I can manually increase or decrease the fuel flow but right now it's not smoking at all.

1999 GU RD28Ti; mechanical injector pump, 5kBt Webasto circulation heater, 33" Yokohama Geolander I/T, SaaS boost & EGT gauges, 2" Ironman suspension...more to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok it dose sound like you are down on power have you had it dynoed after rebuild could still be cam timing even a bad valve set can raise EGTs maybe re do the valve clearance
    Last edited by Kimbo63; 7th February 2016 at 04:28 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimbo63 For This Useful Post:

SiberianPatrol (7th February 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    too much fuel and low boost are the only things I can think of,,
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

11. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

SiberianPatrol (7th February 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok it dose sound like you are down on power have you had it dynoed after rebuild could still be cam timing even a bad valve set can raise EGTs maybe re do the valve clearance
    No dyno after the rebuild. Haven't been able to track down one that is experienced in diesel tuning. How would I best check the cam timing? I know the mechanic installed hydraulic lifters instead of the mechanical with washer shims. Could that be the problem? Hope not, cuz that means redoing the head again.

1999 GU RD28Ti; mechanical injector pump, 5kBt Webasto circulation heater, 33" Yokohama Geolander I/T, SaaS boost & EGT gauges, 2" Ironman suspension...more to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think I have touched on this subject before was the cam changed to a hyd lifter ground cam?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I have touched on this subject before was the cam changed to a hyd lifter ground cam?
    Ok. Couldn't remember who commented in the other thread. No, the cam was not changed out. What should I do now? Try to replace the cam or swap out the lifters?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast