Thread: swivel hubs bearings replacement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face swivel hubs bearings replacement

Big G"Day to every one out there: plan to replace the swivel hub bearings very soon on my 2005 patrol, very bad wheel wobble now and then. took the left bottom one out and there was play in the bearing on the small shaft.
    my question is can i replace all 4 swivel hub bearings by taking top and bottom plate off, take off bearings and replace with new ones??
    also i have taken off shims from left side and ran the patrol for a while which reduced the wobble, i think i will have to put them back after the new bearings are installed??
    my mechanic has quoted me bout $1200!!!!!!
    i hope to fix this myself so any advice would be gratefully excepted.
    many thanks to all

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate to do your swivel bearings it is a complete strip down as you cannot just swap the bearings without replace the cups.

If it is the first time.you are attempting this i would set aside the whole day.

The swivel bearing are hard to get off if you do not have the right puller but can be removed with a cold chisel with a lot of effort.

The job overall is not difficult it is just messy.... very messy and there are some tools that will help make it easier.

My mate just had his 80 series done with complete rebuild and both cv's replaced for $990.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

dom14 (5th February 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,503 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Mate,

If you were keen you could just replace the king pin bearings top and bottom but you would have to replace the bearing outer races also. Note in the pic below they are in the knuckle. they are easy enough to get out and you could punch them out with the CV in place...maybe.

It is possible to not strip down the rest and remove the whole hub assembly just by removing the king pin caps and bearings. Quick and simple. you would need to strip to the snap ring on the end of the CV only then leave the wheel bearings in place.

The bearings will come off with a couple of techniques, sometimes easy sometimes note. If you have a good lot of tools then you might pop them off. I find using a pair of pointy nose pliers as a taper lifter and a flat screw driver as a 3rd point of contact and they tend to pop off with ease.

If it was my car and i knew the rest of the front end was as old as the king pin bearings i would put a kit through it bearings and seals. Full Swivel Hub rebuild kit and Wheel bearings.

See this thread for everything you need to know. DIY-CV-and-Swivel-Hub-Rebuild-Thread

If you take on the job then post any questions you have in that thread and you will get plenty of support.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

dom14 (5th February 2016)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I advise against just attempting the swivel hubs mate.... firstly you have had a quote for $1200 (very high quote) to do a full rebuild so why would just swapping out swivel bearing solve your problems...

You could be opening a can of worms with parts needed and your cars front end half apart.

I suggest if you are going to do this do it properly and go the full rebuild and follow the link above with the "How to".

That is of course you really think this is your problem.. did you check for bearing play properly??

Here is a quick way you can check wheel bearing or swivel hub bearing play...

What is your mechanical ability mate and do you have a decent tool collection.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    had the wheel bearings checked by a mechanic and he adjusted them, said they were good.
    pulled the top and bottom bearing caps off and the bottom bearings had play in them so i assume this is where the wobble came from
    also when i put it back together again i left the shims out and this got rid of the wobble 90%, i know now i have to replace said bearings
    i also have replaced the steering damper and pan hard bushes

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate you can do a bodge job if you like and just wack in the swivel bearings but if the cups are oval-shaped then this is not going to wear well..

I still recommend doing the whole rebuild kit mate for overall peace of mind.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Clunk (4th February 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie View Post
    Mate you can do a bodge job if you like and just wack in the swivel bearings but if the cups are oval-shaped then this is not going to wear well..

I still recommend doing the whole rebuild kit mate for overall peace of mind.
    I'm with BA on this one... better to do the whole lot, both sides, that way you know you've elimated any future issues.
    I'd recommend going for genuine parts too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (4th February 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,
    I am going to attempt the complete rebuild using the photo bomb provided. I have even purchased the tools suggested on the photo bomb to ensure i get a good job.
    Hope I can achieve this easily.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Check out a DIY thread by MudrunnerTD it has the lot

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Rebuild-Thread
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there