Thread: GQ air intake question

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ air intake question

Hi guys,
    I have bought a 1992 Mav and need some advice.
    From reading around the main filter does not seem to get a great wrap.
    Can you put in place of where the pre filter is a new ZD30 style air box and run the pipe straight to an elbow directly in to the motor?
    Would seem to get better air flow.
    Is this right or am I missing something?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes you can. The GQ Prefilter is not rated for primary filtration. You can fit a GU Airfilter element into the Prefilter box and it will work for primary filtration. The gu filter is slightly bigger and there is not as much room around the element which is not ideal. I run a K&N GU filter in a pre filter box (modified) in my GQ.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    AB might have an Alloy ZD30 box from Patrol Doctor for sale soon as he has just got a new bigger box going in with his turbo. He might be selling his old one? Not sure.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yes you can. The GQ Prefilter is not rated for primary filtration. You can fit a GU Airfilter element into the Prefilter box and it will work for primary filtration. The gu filter is slightly bigger and there is not as much room around the element which is not ideal. I run a K&N GU filter in a pre filter box (modified) in my GQ.
    I was more thinking pipe running through is not airtight. And the rectangle end on the main filter box on top of engine would be crap to seal up.
    I was looking at SS box from patroldocta as it does not have a snorkel yet either and this be pretty straight through good flow and then pipe straight to engine and all air tight.
    Just not sure where to get the elbow from?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes so AB will be selling a SS air is from Patroldocta in the coming month or so for sure. Goes into the same spot. Silicon bends work ok. I have Fluted pipe on the GQ. You can seal up the Nissan pipe joints with Sikaflex.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I might be selling a safari snorkel off my GQ at some stage too as I am going a SS through bonnet job.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I might be selling a safari snorkel off my GQ at some stage too as I am going a SS through bonnet job.
    Let me know if you are. I would be going a safari anyway but things a bit tighter than before so 2nd may be the go.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit of a highjack, but people that do this to carby models - that is remove the main filter and just run a bend, what do you do with the rubber hoses that go into the main airbox? Think pcv and carby lines?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Covo71 View Post
    Let me know if you are. I would be going a safari anyway but things a bit tighter than before so 2nd may be the go.
    I have a safari snorkel you can for free... you would need to pay the postage though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

mudski (3rd February 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @ BA might be to long to post they have a 1000mm limit,
    but worth a shot
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast