Thread: Remote trips - Places to go

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I already know..... I'm a mind reader don't ya know.

Ps. What's the Canning like between Well 33 (Kunawiritji) & Well 22 (Georgia Bore). Reckon we'd go alright with the Tvan in tow?
    I'll pour over the map later and let you know. From memory there are a few larger dunes all in a straight line for 20 odd klm. Think it might be south of 22.

Low pressures could be ok with your set up. An run down and back to 17 / Durba Springs would be a nice trip. They are outstanding places to visit. Allow 2-3 nights at Durba, you will love the place.
    Cheers
    Macca

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I know you'll probable never do any tracks in the high country,[you dont need to]
    But really recommend a 4x4 course. If you join a club they'll have heaps of ppl
    that do remote travel.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim, if you will have internet on your trip, a thread reporting on your progress as you go would be great. Sounds like a top trip. I'm especially interested in the Arnhemland sction. If not a report on your return, (with plenty of pics of course). Whilst the rest of us will enjoy it, it also gives you a great record to look back on. You think you'll remember it all, but it's amazing how much gets forgotten. Keeping the blog of my 'Big trip' was a chore at times, but it's so good to have it now.

I know folk do take Tvans up & down the Canning, & maybe we will another time. I think it's all about weight, & because we are set up for indefinate solo travel we are not light. My thinking was to shed as much weight (comfort) as possible, using the Tvan to store it in. It's probably wise to get a good idea of how the vehicle & Tvan go in all conditions, which the trip I'm thinking about will do. If I am confident that I can manage the Canning with the van enjoyably then we'll do it, possibly even on the return leg from the Kimberley. The thought of having to reverse down dunes with a van attached is not what I think of as enjoyable, would be different if travelling with someone who could snatch us if needed. Yes we could carry a sand anchor, but that sounds like hard work. I'm fairly confident that with low tyre pressures & solo the patrol would just potter over the dunes at low revs without trouble. I've read several accounts of folk with trailers of different sorts who managed, but with far greater stress on both vehicle & it's occupants. I know suspension wise the Tvan is as good as it gets, but as yet I'm unsure of the type of dune crossing style I'd need to adopt with the van in tow. My preference is to use engine torque & low speed, rather than momentum based approaches. One account I read a bloke reported that there were two types of travellers on the Canning. The relaxed folk who when you met them talked of what they had seen & enjoyed, & those who's primary interest was 'how steep is it going to be'?. The latter were invariably trailer towers.
    Cuppa

Mostly remote while away, so don't expect to be on the www for most, if any, of the trip. The Mrs generally keeps a journal of our travels, but she will only be doing the first 10 weeks (she has got to get back to work early July), I'm pretty hopeless at keeping journals/logs, but I do take 1000s of pics. With the dates on the pics matched to the itinerary (always take pics of location signs if available) I can usually match the pics to a location.

With it being a Club trip there will be a report, with pics etc, so I'll have various bits and pieces of info to post up when I get back.

Here is current route, will vary depending on current permit issues being resolved for parts of Arnhem Land.

Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

Chubba (26th March 2016), Cuppa (25th March 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The straight run is south of #44.
    Copy of maps we used, either side of Kunnawaritji the corrogations are horrendous worst I have ever been on and they just keep going!
    The rest is slow going, picking lines, pressures etc normal driving out there.
    The CSR is not a difficult track at all, its just a long drive that you need to carry so much. Being prepared and taking your time is all thats required.
    IMAG0332.jpg

IMAG0333.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg
    Cheers
    Macca

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (25th March 2016), threedogs (25th March 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    But really recommend a 4x4 course.
    Did that last year TD.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

threedogs (25th March 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Did that last year TD.
    Get out there and practise ,did missus Tea do the course as well??
    No good if you twist an ankle miles from no where
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12