Thread: Remote trips - Places to go

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remote trips - Places to go

How about folk posting up some info (?description, directions, map, camp spots, links, videos, photos etc ?) about the remote trips you have undertaken or want to?

I’m ‘collecting’ this sort of info for our future travels, & a thought that perhaps a thread like this could become a resource to others too.

Just this morning I was looking at & dreaming about the Munja Track, the Karunjie/King River Track & the Carson River Track in the Kimberley.

First hand accounts particularly welcome. Could even get competitive to see who has been the most remote!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (2nd February 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They say that some relics from Leichhardt are still out there to be found.
    My friend Ron Moon has done a few expeditions to very remote outback locations.
    Never heard him mention any roads thoughs ,,,,it was all cross country with
    GPS co-ords from old journals, and finding blazed trees along the way.
    Must be still some lost part of our history waitng to be found,

@ Cuppa my mate Phils great grand father is Alfred Canning,
    Ive also emailed Ron to confirm a few spots yet to be found
    Last edited by threedogs; 2nd February 2016 at 12:50 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ive received a reply from Ron there is a book called "where is Dr leichhardt" by Darrell Lewis.
    An engraved butt plate from a rifle was found mid 1800s
    http://www.nma.gov.au/collections/hi...ardt-nameplate
    They are yet to find the good Doctor, a good starting point is the bottom
    end of Sturt Creek and around Lake Gregory
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 2nd February 2016 at 02:49 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    How about folk posting up some info (?description, directions, map, camp spots, links, videos, photos etc ?) about the remote trips you have undertaken or want to?

I’m ‘collecting’ this sort of info for our future travels, & a thought that perhaps a thread like this could become a resource to others too.

Just this morning I was looking at & dreaming about the Munja Track, the Karunjie/King River Track & the Carson River Track in the Kimberley.

First hand accounts particularly welcome. Could even get competitive to see who has been the most remote!
    Hi Cuppa
    Preparing for trip to Kimberleys via Cunnamulla, Innamincka, Birdsville, Birdsville Track, Oodnadatta Track, Alice, Gunbarrel, then to Carnarvon and then do tourist thing up the coast to Gibb River Rd. Leaving late April and be back home in October for annual trip to Fraser. Will start a new thread when I leave.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wizard52 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (25th March 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant tell you, its secret business.

Don't want the place to end up like George Street, or Bourke Street for you southern chappies.
    Cheers
    Macca

9. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

Sir Roofy (24th March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to reading it Wiz, (& seeing the pics of course). I'm envious.

Coincidentally with a bit of a lull in the shed building project I've been pawing through the maps over the past couple of days & talking with my wife about where our first big trip might be.
    We are now thinking in terms of leaving in April 2017 with no fixed return date (Unless we have everything sorted in time for a Tassie trip before then).

We were thinking up the Oodnadatta, continuing on to Alice via the Old Andado track, the Phillipson Stock route & the Old South Road, taking in Chambers Pillar & Rainbow Valley.

West from Alice via Hermansberg, Palm Valley & Boggy Hole. Maybe spend a bit more time camping & exploring around the lesser visited parts of the West Macs, before pushing westward along the Gary Junction Road until it intersects the Canning Stock Route.

We want to travel the CSR, but feel that whilst the Tvan will manage it ok, we'd prefer to do it easier with just the Patrol, which would mean leaving the Tvan somewhere with a trip of 2000kms+ to return to pick it up. So for our first trip & to get some desert miles under our belts we thought we'd basically continue west & leave the Canning for a specific trip later, leaving the Tvan at home.

Once reaching the Canning we could cross it & continue on Wapet Rd & Telfer track to Marble Bar via Punmu, but have heard read that the Talawana Track which runs along the southern side of Karlamiliyi NP (Rudall River) which has long held a reputation for being a little used, overgrown, washed out, heavily corrugated track which no one in their right mind would choose to drive on was graded last year & is being maintained because of a mine south of Parngurr somewhere. Pargurr community are now offering a fuel service to folks travelling the Canning as an alternative to the Capricorn fuel dump at Georgia bore.

So turn left at the CSR & travel south from Well 33 to Well 22, turning west onto the Talawana track at Georgia Bore. 83kms to Parngurr & a bit further into the NP. West from there to Newman via Jigalong.

From Newman south on bitumen for a bit & then west across country via Burringurrah (Mt Augustus) & the Kennedy Ranges NP to Carnarvon on the West Coast, followed by some coastal relaxing & fishing in the Francois Peron NP & Ningaloo Station for a few weeks, before heading North east via Panawonica & Milstream Chichester NP to Karijini for our second visit. Maybe Carawine Gorge too, folks tell me its a nice place to relax for a while.

After that North to the Kimberley where we hope we might find a house sit for the Wet, ready to explore the north kimberley & across the Gibb as soon as it opens early in the Dry.

All still open to change/refinement, but it's been quite good fun pinning something down. It's a bloody big country eh?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

macca (25th March 2016), MudRunnerTD (24th March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Cant tell you, its secret business.

Don't want the place to end up like George Street, or Bourke Street for you southern chappies.
    I already know..... I'm a mind reader don't ya know.

Ps. What's the Canning like between Well 33 (Kunawiritji) & Well 22 (Georgia Bore). Reckon we'd go alright with the Tvan in tow?
    Last edited by Cuppa; 24th March 2016 at 08:37 PM.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

macca (25th March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CuppaI, I followed 2 Tvans down the Canning in 2008, they did it mostly easily, only needed snatching in a couple of places. Lower tyre pressures migh have gotten them over. I reckon a sand anchor would see you through OK.

We are going up through Birdsville to the Gulf, Arneham Land, various NT national parks Ayres Rock and home via the Oodnadatta track and the Flinders for 4 months from late April. Doing it with the 4WD Club, can't wait
    Last edited by TimE; 24th March 2016 at 09:13 PM.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (25th March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    CuppaI, I followed 2 Tvans down the Canning in 2008, they did it mostly easily, only needed snatching in a couple of places. Lower tyre pressures migh have gotten them over. I reckon a sand anchor would see you through OK.

We are going up through Birdsville to the Gulf, Arneham Land, various NT national parks Ayres Rock and home via the Oodnadatta track and the Flinders for 4 months from late April. Doing it with the 4WD Club, can't wait
    Tim, if you will have internet on your trip, a thread reporting on your progress as you go would be great. Sounds like a top trip. I'm especially interested in the Arnhemland sction. If not a report on your return, (with plenty of pics of course). Whilst the rest of us will enjoy it, it also gives you a great record to look back on. You think you'll remember it all, but it's amazing how much gets forgotten. Keeping the blog of my 'Big trip' was a chore at times, but it's so good to have it now.

I know folk do take Tvans up & down the Canning, & maybe we will another time. I think it's all about weight, & because we are set up for indefinate solo travel we are not light. My thinking was to shed as much weight (comfort) as possible, using the Tvan to store it in. It's probably wise to get a good idea of how the vehicle & Tvan go in all conditions, which the trip I'm thinking about will do. If I am confident that I can manage the Canning with the van enjoyably then we'll do it, possibly even on the return leg from the Kimberley. The thought of having to reverse down dunes with a van attached is not what I think of as enjoyable, would be different if travelling with someone who could snatch us if needed. Yes we could carry a sand anchor, but that sounds like hard work. I'm fairly confident that with low tyre pressures & solo the patrol would just potter over the dunes at low revs without trouble. I've read several accounts of folk with trailers of different sorts who managed, but with far greater stress on both vehicle & it's occupants. I know suspension wise the Tvan is as good as it gets, but as yet I'm unsure of the type of dune crossing style I'd need to adopt with the van in tow. My preference is to use engine torque & low speed, rather than momentum based approaches. One account I read a bloke reported that there were two types of travellers on the Canning. The relaxed folk who when you met them talked of what they had seen & enjoyed, & those who's primary interest was 'how steep is it going to be'?. The latter were invariably trailer towers.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 641 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The very reason the GQ is getting a hubs up rebuild is for trips such as these.
    Alas I am still a year or two off actually going. Colour me green. sob sob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast