Thread: Westy's Provent install

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westy's Provent install

So I've noticed a fair few people struggle with finding a nice space to fit the rather large catch cans and I think I may have found the answer and a very simple way to install it..

I wanted to mount mine next to the abs setup but typical nissan have bloody vacume lines running in very bloody direction..
    So the solution. To make room for the provent can I simply took the vac line closest to the abs unit off, flattened the bend on the fire wall so the pipe end went from being middle side of abs to outside of abs, rotated the hose 180 on the vertical alloy tube and then plugged it back in..
    *note- do not reverse this hose as it has a one way valve in it..

Next can be done a couple of ways..
    I made a backing plate to mount the can to from a bit of 40x5 flat steel, 160 long.
    I centered the holes (122 centers from memory) and drilled to 10mm..
    Now if you have a welder I made the plate flush with the top and the hole inline with the stud that is on the plate..
    (when using a 40mm plate you have to remove the top stud)
    But you can add a bolt to the middle to secure the plate if you don't have a welder..

So pipe work..
    All you need is 700 mm of 13mm vac hose and a short bit of self gluing heat shrink..
    Trim 30mm off each end of the stock tube, this is your feed line.
    Clean ports and pipe ends with turps and insert the pipe into the provent ports untill snug..
    Slip the heat shrink over each port and heat as per normal..

Add your choice of 10mm drain hose and clamp..
    Before installing insert the elbow which inserts into the intake pipe into the provent exhaust pipe..
    For some reason this 14mm lol.. So I found some lube and some choice words got it done lol..
    Anyway run pipe work to where it needs to go, bolt up the provent and done..
    Cheers

Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Bacho86 (1st May 2016), Bigcol (29th January 2016), Cliffy (18th January 2017), Clunk (29th January 2016), dom14 (24th July 2016), GeeYou8 (20th July 2016), gubigfish (1st February 2016), LaughingBeagles (30th January 2016), MudRunnerTD (30th January 2016), mudski (29th January 2016), SiberianPatrol (30th January 2016), SupRob (2nd February 2016), Toy-Eta (23rd July 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit hard to see the pics on my phone but I think mines similar - that vacuum tank that was in front of the abs block on the L/H side I just relocated to the R/H side in front of the bonnet hinge - bent the pipe away a bit as you said then mounted the catch can in there next to abs valve thingy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sprock For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (20th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprock View Post
    Bit hard to see the pics on my phone but I think mines similar - that vacuum tank that was in front of the abs block on the L/H side I just relocated to the R/H side in front of the bonnet hinge - bent the pipe away a bit as you said then mounted the catch can in there next to abs valve thingy
    Yea early models have a vac canister.. later don't.
    They can be placed anywhere in the line.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the write-up and pic's Westy, Has given me something to think about as this is something I'll have to tackle in the very near future,

Nice neat job too btw,

Cheers,
    -Westie
    Last edited by Toy-Eta; 23rd July 2016 at 09:29 AM.
    '09 3L CRD Gu Wagon - 3" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, 2" OME, Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bull Bar, Warn Winch, Side steps, Safari Snorkel, ARB Alloy Rack, ARB on Board Compressor, Dual Batteries, Kaymar Rear Dual Bar, EBC, Reversing Camera, Outback Drawers, Fridge Slide, ARB Cargo Barrier & Divider, Rear Door Diner, Long Ranger Tanks, GME 3350s/6.6DBI, 240 Lightforce XGT's, 42' Roof Mounted Illuminator Light Bar.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toy-Eta For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (23rd July 2016)