Thread: VIC Roads inspections for out of state cars

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Far out, well that sucks balls having to pay stamp duty yet again just to transfer a car to another state
    No you should..
    You only pay stamp duty if you buy..
    If you buy in a different state you don't pay stamp duty to that state, only to the one you wish to register it in..

With our gu the yard paid for a 10 day cover notice and kept the plates.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Clunk (29th January 2016), Hodge (29th January 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Far out, well that sucks balls having to pay stamp duty yet again just to transfer a car to another state
    As Kallen already mentioned, if you already own the car and have transferred possession of the said vehicle into your own name in another state, then it is just a transfer fee, and paying for new plates, etc.

Unfortunately, Hodge had just bought his and either had to transfer here or there, and as I presume he doesn't have an address there, so then had to pay the stamp duty and transfer fee here. It is a bit of a rip-off, as the true costs would only really amount to $300 at best, but our governments need revenue to keep us all happy. Thanks for helping us all Hodge ...
    Last edited by happygu; 30th January 2016 at 11:32 AM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (30th January 2016), Clunk (29th January 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ahh yeah now I get ya

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (30th January 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Been 9 years since I bought my GU from NSW so memory may not be 100%, but from memory I only had to get a Vic roadworthy then take it to VicRoads for a quick look over and new plates. They'll take a copy of the roadworthy, check VIN and that's about it and a quick look over (from memory). No weighing or emission tests or anything like that. Seriously, the VicRoads chick who inspected my trol probably didn't know a tyre valve from a spark plug, but she did don a fluoro vest because it's apparently extremely dangerous in the carpark (she didn't warn me about me wearing thongs and singlet, but I'm a rebel you know)! You're dealing with public servants, not mechanics or highway patrol so I don't think you'll have any issues as long as the car's in good nick, the ID numbers all match and it's not stolen, which will be no issue if it's already yours. Don't stress too much.
    The RWC testers are getting tougher I have noticed these days. I suppose most realise its gonna fall back on them if they pass an unroadworthy car and the penalties are tougher too I have heard for them. As for VR inspections, like plassy said, and what I have experienced myself when getting an inspection for the engine conversion, they just check the VIN and engine number, make sure you have the roady and your set.
    Not much to worry about if your ride is not overly modified. I'd even leave the egr plate in. The mechanic wouldn't be looking for it unless you tell them....

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry folks. I completely overshot the runway. Bad memory. Mine actually came just under $2.5k. What confused my memory is, the original SA form the seller pre-filled out before I got there where he valued the car at around $40k, going by his version of market value... I quickly changed that to the price I actually bought the car off him for which was 35k...

Anyways. Rock won't have to pay anywhere near that as he is only transferring states not ownership....

2005 TD42TI

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Rock Trol (29th January 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. It all makes sense now and should be fairly straight forward.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (30th January 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ... did you notice that the bastards charge stamp duty, which is a Tax, on the GST of the Insurance as well as the Insurance Premium?

From the Government website
    What is stamp duty?
    Stamp duty is a tax on written documents ('instruments') and on certain transactions.
    It is imposed by state and territory governments.
    It can vary depending on the state or territory, and may be called stamp duty, transfer duty or general duty.
    What transactions are taxed? Taxable transactions include:
    -motor vehicle registration and transfers
    -insurance policies
    -leases and mortgages
    -hire purchase agreements
    -transfers of property (such as businesses, real estate or certain shares).

That is what irks me, how the hell can Stamp Duty be taxed on a Tax payment (GST)!!!

Rotten money grabbing mongrels
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (30th January 2016), BigRAWesty (30th January 2016), dom14 (2nd February 2016)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vic road worthy now includes a brake stop test - that is done on road the with a testing device that provides a print out of the brake test. The brake test print out must be included in the road worthy cert that you take into vic roads. The last vehicle I had road worthy, vic roads only checked that the engine number and chassis number was correct

You used to be able to go to different testers, if the first tester was toooooo picky. I had a vehicle that the tester wanted all the rubber bushes to be replaced. A second tester did not fault the existing bushes.
    Last edited by GQ TANK; 30th January 2016 at 10:58 AM.
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQ TANK View Post
    The vic road worthy now includes a brake stop test -
    This must have only just come in. Hodge hasnt had his car for long and he didnt have to do this, if my memory serves me correctly.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    This must have only just come in. Hodge hasnt had his car for long and he didnt have to do this, if my memory serves me correctly.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk
    My car had the brake test done and the report was stapled to the RWC. This was August. So not sure when this kicked in.
    2005 TD42TI

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast