Thread: Oil warning light

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oil warning light

Howdy all,

I've just gotten home from a drive and my oil warning light has started intermittently flickering on, then going off again.

The oil pressure sender was replaced about 6 months ago as the oil pressure gauge was not reading correctly. The pressure gauge did not show any change when the oil light came on. It doesn't blow smoke or leak oil. It was serviced about a month ago so the oil and filter are relatively fresh and I checked the level and it is spot on.

It also hasn't started making any new rattles or noises, it's never done it before, any ideas?

Thanks very much
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have had oil alarms on some machinery (not Patrols) caused by the oil thinning a bit when they are hot. If you have a reliable gauge and it is not showing any issues, I would trust the gauge over the light any day. See what happens when the engine is cool.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Patrol'n (27th January 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony I'll see how she goes today, I was thinking a faulty oil warning light, but since the gauge read ok, I wasn't sure.

Thinking about it this morning, perhaps I'll investigate whether the light is fed its signal from the same sender as the gauge.
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be earth related or loose conection

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Common fault on the ZD30 motor, replace the sender
    with an OEM one and as above re-do any earth straps
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

9. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    Could be earth related or loose conection
    I was thinking dodgy connection too, I will also have a look at the earth straps.

Noticed this morning that it appears to happen mostly on takeoff and at the same time the oil pressure is rising with the revs building.

I hate electrical gremlins...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Patrol'n For This Useful Post:

Sir Roofy (27th January 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Progress (or no progress report), I have had the pressure checked with a calibrated test setup, and there is plenty of oil pressure, so at least the motors not in danger.

I have also removed an old crappy looking earth strap and replaced it with a heavier shiny new one and added another one for good measure.

End result is..... Still doing it the bas*#rd thing. It has seemed to settle down to only doing it when the aircon is switched on while idling and the thermo comes on??? If I give it just the lightest touch of revs, or switch off the aircon, it turns off the light. The pressure on the gauge remains consistent.

So I suppose the fix is switch off the aircon, but I really like aircon in summer 😜

At least I know it isn't the pump and now know it shouldn't be an earth strap problem. Next is to replace the sender I suppose, I've been told OEM ones are pricey, but what the heck, might as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Leigh, if you are getting oil light on and off when you are turning the aircon on and off, and it is changing with revs, it is almost certainly a voltage drop issue, either an earth, even though you have checked them, or low voltage from the battery. Generally when something electrical happens when another electrical switch is operated it is nearly always earth issues.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Patrol'n (29th January 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,426 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, I have a dodgy oil light in my TD42 GQ too, it has done it a few times now, the oil light will come on and stay on for a while. Both the stock gauge and my aftermarket gauge show normal oil pressure and the oil level is fine too.
    Don't know why it does it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    Leigh, if you are getting oil light on and off when you are turning the aircon on and off, and it is changing with revs, it is almost certainly a voltage drop issue, either an earth, even though you have checked them, or low voltage from the battery. Generally when something electrical happens when another electrical switch is operated it is nearly always earth issues.
    Hi Tony, yep I did have that thought niggling away, I am thinking to get a second opinion from an auto sparky, intersestingly I did just have a heavier wire fitted between the alternator and battery due to voltage drop issues about two weeks ago...

Might go back and have a further chat with him.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrol'n For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (29th January 2016), threedogs (29th January 2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast