Thread: 3.0l TD 2011 patrol 2nd fuel filter

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What R.T. said x 2 ^^^^

...and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can implicitly trust Servos BUT you can have a crack at them if you get bad fuel.
    A CRD (of any make) with a gutful of bad fuel will usually shit itself within minutes of the source.
    After the Carnarvon Floods over here most of the expired vehicles who had filled up at the local Servo didn't get further than 10 K's

If you go with a 'traditional' size pre-filter of 11 or up to 30 micron all that does is intercept the larger crap before the primary filter.
    If you go with smaller micron filters around the same size as the primary filter all that does is make the fuel pump try and suck a tennis ball thru a straw.
    If you go with mutiple filters and add lift pumps to shove the tennis ball thru the straw then it becomes a 'why bother unless you get something out if it' like savings on replacing filters less often or whatever.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MyGU8 (23rd January 2016), Rock Trol (24th January 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Father inlaw has just fitted a kit with an 11 micron filter and water trap...
    What I don't get is stock is usually 5 micron and already has an alarmed water trap..
    So my plan is to change out fuel filter every 10,000k..
    Simply by adding a second filter, even 30 micron your pump has to work harder..
    And it's only taking out large bits.. all the small stuff still gets threw. .
    Anyway..
    I'm not bothering.. I'm just going to replace more often..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Rock Trol (24th January 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I change my filter once a year which is around 10-15000 km or so. Also avoid bio diesel, or so I've heard.

The advantage of having a pre filter would be to change it more often as they are a lot cheaper than the Nissan one. $40 vs 140 is a big difference. Unfortunately my truck was sapped of power as soon as the 5 micron filter went on.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

MyGU8 (24th January 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    Hi Dean. I had 5 micron pre filter on my crd but it was too restrictive. Have since taken it off and patrol runs much better. I did not have a lift pump so the engines pump was trying to suck fuel through two filters. From my experience you would need a lift pump as well as extra filter. Problem is that there isn't a lot of room under the bonnet.

The standard fuel filter has a water trap and water watch system inbuilt. If the filter light comes on, stop car and drain filter. People with crd patrols in my club have toured all over Australia without fuel problems. Just be careful which servos you fuel up from and cross your fingers. 😄
    Thanks for that Rock, it seems that another filter seems to be more hassle than it's worth. I might save my money and spend it on a chip and exhaust. Cheers for the info.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Westy yep I'm decided on not bothering, I think if it needed two filters that Nissan would have fitted two. I'm glad I came on here, saved me some coin and the headaches.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You make a great point evil, seems pointless doesn't it. I will bin that idea and go for a bigger exhaust. Once again opinions are divided on the size, 2.75" or 3"? Back pressure being the deciding factor it seems. Hopefully you guys that have a bigger exhaust can help me decide. Also is it worth it if I have not got a chip?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps everyone, been very helpful and saved me some coin and hassle. Will bin the idea and look into exhausts and chips. Any feedback here is also most welcome.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2.75 vs 3 inch exhaust. I think very few people would have tried both on the same car/model so all opinions are subjective. I have the 3 inch and it works well, but it started to over boost so I had to put on a daws valve.

Do do the exhaust first and see how you go. You might not need a chip.
    Also think about a remap. I have one and the car really runs well. I did remap and exhaust at same time so it's hard to tell how much each is doing.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few of the top exhaust manufacturers are now running a 3" dump and 2.75 pipe..
    My plan is a 3" complete system but I'll be running a muffler..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah good point about the exhaust, doubt if anyone would put. 3" on then change for a 2.75 or vica versa. The remap might be the go with the exhaust as you suggest, did the exhaust shop do that? Any brand of exhaust to steer clear of?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast