Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Patrol wont Accelerate

Hey Guys,

I seem to have an issue with my Patrol and just wondering if anyone has any advice on what it may be...

I have the 2002 4.8L Petrol Wagon with auto box. It's done 199,700km. Yesterday when I went to work I noticed that it was idling a tad low (enough to make it shake just a little). It didn't concern me that much as I have it booked in for it's 200,000 service and thought I would just get them to have a look at it when they did that. However when I went to go home from work, I noticed that the engine light was on. Then when I went to accelerate nothing happened. I put my foot down and it revs to a max of 1500rpm. Essentially just a little more than idle. Nothing I could do would change that.

Now, I am the first to acknowledge that I am not that mechanically minded. I love my baby (I call her Natalie), but when it comes to DIY, I can do the simple things, but anything more complicated usually I leave for the mechanic (almost sacrilege on a forum like this I know ). So I didn't really have a clue. I thought it may be the computer or something, so I tried disconnecting the battery for 30secs or so to see if that may "reset" any weird thing going on, but that didn't work. And apart from that I have no idea. So it's still booked into the service but just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what it may be that I can either try myself or let the mechanic know to check?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm could be a pump failing. ...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    disconnect it for 1/2 hr and see how that goes
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After speaking to my brother (who is mechanically minded), he reckons that it's gone into limp mode..... Didn't even know this mode existed....

He reckons that you can diagnose the problem and that it's probably electrical. Know someone with a diagnosis tool, so may give that a go.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Super cheap can put a tool on and tell you of any codes, ring first eh to make sure
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    O2 sensors, or crank angle sensors

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, cannot get it to supercheap to get them to check. Plugged my mates one in and it came up with "There are no codes stored in...." Annoying as. And now the car wont start. So unhooked the alarm, unplugged the battery and we will see what the deal is when I go back on Monday morning. May just have to get a car trailer and tow it to the mechanic.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi my name is glen I've got a 02 4.8 patrol had no start put cranked ok ended up key reader mobile auto electric looked at it with scan tool and said ecu but nissan came up with key reader I am on the road again some times bite your teeth the dealer has the codes other's don't have 4 weeks i was of the road and half a day with them it was fixed good luck

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Glen,

I got the not starting issue sorted. It was apparently an issue with the alarm. I did not find out what was wrong with the limp mode. Thanks threedogs, I left the battery unplugged for the weekend, then when I came back to work on Monday, it was working fine. I plugged a computer reader into the ecu and it said, "There are no codes stored in the module". Weird. Oh well, if it's working, great. Will get it fixed if it happens again and I can figure out what the issue was.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Caledwvech For This Useful Post:

threedogs (8th February 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By disconnecting the battery for that amount of time you cleared the computer of any fault codes. If you want to know what caused it plug the diagnosis tool in before disconnecting the battery.
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast