Thread: Public camping- what is your toilet options

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    A cautionary follow up tale to my previous posts suggesting the use of napisan type products.

This past weekend we ‘christened’ our new portapotti over a few days.
    We used the previous method of one spoonful of napisan type product per ‘deposit’.

Today we had a one hour drive to get home, but prior to packing up made a couple of fresh deposits
    Not remembering how long it took for everything to become liquid & being a tad concerned that the one hour drive home may not be sufficient I decided to throw in a few extra spoonfuls.

Back home approximately 4 hours after the last deposit & just prior to emptying I thought it a good idea to pull out the slide out to inspect the contents just to ensure I wasn’t going to have a blockage problem. (It had all liquified).

BIG MISTAKE! You know what happens when you shake up a can of beer & then open it wit your face over it?

Well what else could my wife do other than cackle & call me Sh*tface!!!

At least it didn’t stink!

This exemplary explanation does not deserve my famous saying......."Words not pictures, words not pictures".

I nearly sprayed my lappy with coffee. BWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

When I get my camera back, I'll send in a pic or two of my dunny set up.

This 'moment' reminded me the time I was that cold, that when I was putting the dipstick back into the hole, it flexed that much that I arked it on the battery, sparks flew everywhere, and I set fire to the oil on the stick!

I wonder if age has anything to do with these 'Kodak' moments. lol
    Last edited by DX grunt; 1st May 2016 at 10:15 AM.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (1st May 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In the past we used a similar idea, with one of these types of toilet seats & some compostable bags. (Maybe worth trying some with the Bog in a bag seat) We found that one of the larger bags easily lasted two of us for up to 5 to 7 days if camped in one spot. (We also had a supply of smaller bags for overnight stops). A small container of lime (very cheap) with the equivalent to a handful sprinkled after each use ensured smell was not an issue. A piece of cardboard (or similar) laid over the top of the seat when not in use kept flies away. We buried ours, but would have had no problem putting them into a long drop. Only issue with bags was transporting them when full. Ok with solids only, but when full of liquid not so easy. We only pee'd in the bags when we were able to bury them without needing to transport them.

We had planned to use this arrangement for long term travel to avoid the need for being tied to camp sites with toilets, or the need to squat. (Old knees). However as it was, as soon as we gained a little extra storage space when we bought the Tvan we changed to a Portapotti. Altogether far more civilised & environmentally sound when the chemicals they sell for them are avoided.

This is the first thing I tried. I have to say it is simply THE WORST thing I have ever tried!!! Better off squatting next to a tree. I can confidently say that these are suitable for Kids and other humans 5'6" or shorter and less than 70kgs. If you are not in this category leave it at home.

The first time I used it the seat cracked. The seating position is so low to the ground that you have no choice but to put all your weight on it. Half way between a seat and a squat. Hideous thing. There is another thread somewhere on the forum where this particular seat was discussed at length.

HIDEOUS!

The thunder box type unit on the first page is hands down a superior design. It fits in my rubbish bag for transport touring or day tripping, set it up over a deep hole in a tent for static camping. Winner.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boinzo View Post
    I just picked up one of these. Bog in a Bag. Looks to be a great solution. The compositable bags include polycrylate crystals that absorb any moisture so things dry out and don't get stinky.
    Although I'm yet to make a curry and use it in anger!

http://boginabag.net.au/
    Is it just me or this design has a big problem???? Ummmm? You bog down the centre of the hole! It's a 3 leg stool joined in the middle? Either the bag sits on top of that knuckle and BLOODY CLOSE to the action or hangs down the side?

Stropp basically made one of these out of a heap 4 legged camp chair for Meetup in the Middle. It worked great BUT IT HAD 4 legs!!

And yeah bags seem bloody expensive!!!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote "BoginaBag folds out into a convenient stool" . . Hahaha. . .

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Quote "BoginaBag folds out into a convenient stool" . . Hahaha. . .
    So you can stool while you stool

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Might be ok for occasional use, but it looks like the special bags you have to use are 'single use', & they are not exactly cheap. So just for a three week trip for two people you'd be needing to carry a supply of say, 45 bags, at a cost of $72! I note that the bags are compostable (as opposed to biodegradeable which can take up to 2 years to degrade), BUT they say 'can be disposed of in rubbish bins...... you'd have to hope those bins were going to be emptied pretty regularly! Compostable bags can be disposed of by burying, or in long drop toilets, but it is not clear how compostable the polycrylate crystal sheets are.

In the past we used a similar idea, with one of these types of toilet seats & some compostable bags. (Maybe worth trying some with the Bog in a bag seat) We found that one of the larger bags easily lasted two of us for up to 5 to 7 days if camped in one spot. (We also had a supply of smaller bags for overnight stops). A small container of lime (very cheap) with the equivalent to a handful sprinkled after each use ensured smell was not an issue. A piece of cardboard (or similar) laid over the top of the seat when not in use kept flies away. We buried ours, but would have had no problem putting them into a long drop. Only issue with bags was transporting them when full. Ok with solids only, but when full of liquid not so easy. We only pee'd in the bags when we were able to bury them without needing to transport them.

We had planned to use this arrangement for long term travel to avoid the need for being tied to camp sites with toilets, or the need to squat. (Old knees). However as it was, as soon as we gained a little extra storage space when we bought the Tvan we changed to a Portapotti. Altogether far more civilised & environmentally sound when the chemicals they sell for them are avoided.
    We used these in our thunder bucket with biodegradable kitty litter
    http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/p...ecommendations

Might stock up on the ones you posted though..... much much cheaper and not doubt will break down far quicker.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pffft... just take a dump near the Drivers Door of the nearest Prado.

Try and hit a spot 18 inches out and 12 inches back from the door handle.
    This is where the driver will usuall stand to open the door.
    Sprinkle a light dusting of sand/soil or scatter a very thin layer of leaf litter over the turd.
    Do NOT leave any tell tale bits of dunny paper in the are or that will tip them off.

If there are no Prados' then a Great Wall or Kia are a reasonable substitute
    Be aware that if they are more than 12 months old the Drivers Door may have DX disease so you may need to 'land mine' the other doors for best effect
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

gaddy (7th May 2016), Touses (1st May 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 641 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Pffft... just take a dump near the Drivers Door of the nearest Prado.

Try and hit a spot 18 inches out and 12 inches back from the door handle.
    This is where the driver will usuall stand to open the door.
    Sprinkle a light dusting of sand/soil or scatter a very thin layer of leaf litter over the turd.
    Do NOT leave any tell tale bits of dunny paper in the are or that will tip them off.

If there are no Prados' then a Great Wall or Kia are a reasonable substitute
    Be aware that if they are more than 12 months old the Drivers Door may have DX disease so you may need to 'land mine' the other doors for best effect
    This, Evil, is why you should never be employed in the Human Resource sector!
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (1st May 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our caravan has an ensuite, we use the same chemical treatment as we use in our portapotti when tenting it. Napisan or equivalent - Aldi is ok, not perfumed enough though - I add a few drops of eucalytpus oil to both tanks. You MUST smear a little on a non-structural part of the toilet to test that the plastic can handle the presence of the oil first or you could be in for a disastrous surprise. Not so bad if you've got a ute, but if the portapotti is in the back behind your back seat, and you hear waves rushing towards you as you apply the brakes ... grab the door handles and prepare to bail.

I should add that I never add Napisan to the top tank - there's no point. The top tank lasts for days and days - sodium percarbonate breaks down within about 24 hours. May as well just use plain water (or perfumed, as long as the perfume doesn't damage either tank).

I only ever empty in a dump point or septic/composting/long drop toilet (have only used a dump point since starting with the eucalyptus oil, not sure what the oil will do to a septic/composting toilet). I refuse to go "behind a tree" - digging a hole there is either impractical, or I'll just be uncovering someone else's nuggets, of a kind that I doubt will turn the place into the modern-day Hill End.

Quite disgusted by some rest areas - there's one on the Putty Rd (Boggy Swamp, I think it's called) that was littered with stained toilet paper. We stopped at one in Victoria not far from Balranald on the Murray Valley Hwy and couldn't sleep for the stench of human faeces, we had to move on. Long drop/composting toilets are a good attempt to fix this, but places like the rest area on the corner of the Golden and New England highways are proof that it doesn't always work, or at least the toilets are not capable of handling the "load".
    Last edited by Old.Tony; 7th May 2016 at 06:29 AM.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Old.Tony For This Useful Post:

Touses (7th May 2016)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456