Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by escix View Post
    Hello guys and ladies,

I love to spend time in public camping spots but unfortunately the toilet makes a big issue for us.

What do you do for your toilet needs during family camping in public places.
    Thanks
    Next time Im up that way you should come fishing with us, we go to Bearii which
    I hope you're familiar with,
    Way too hot over summer to be comfortable
    A few of us go a few times a year, all going well
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

MyGU8 (17th January 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Porta loo and pop up shower tent.
    Shit is sorted...
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

jay see (17th January 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nearest river, then chuck in a line

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Clunk (17th January 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Option 3 - a portapotti. We have used these extensively ...BUT... don’t use the chemicals which get sold for them. Not only do they destroy the working of any septic system the contents are tipped in, the chemicals smell as bad, if not worse than the ‘deposits’ for what the toilet was designed. The smell of the chemicals was pervasive through our vehicle when we used them, & emptying the potti was pretty rank too. Instead like many others, we now use generic napisan, look for the ones with the most Sodium Percarbonate. 34% or better will do the job, or alternatively go to your local home brew shop & buy 100% sodium percabonate (used for cleaning beer bottles). We’ve only ever used the nappy wash, a 1 KG container will last for ages & it’s cheaper than the chemicals as well as being septic safe.

Method: When setting up the portapotti cover the floor of the lower container with water & add 2 to 4 heaped teaspoons of the powder. Add another teaspoon after each ‘deposit’ & flush. Sloshing around in the vehicle when driving helps breakdown, but if it is left at camp for a while & you get any smell, just add a bit more. Works really well, & although emptying is never going to be a job you look forward to, it is much improved.

Do not buy nappy washes with added fragrances etc- just the cheaper ‘oxy action’ stuff will do. Only put plain water in the top tank. Once in a while lubricate the sliding seal with a little olive oil, spray on is easiest. An aerosol bought for the purpose will last for years.
    Thanks Cuppa, need 2 purchase more chemical so will try your method instead
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggqwesty View Post
    Porta loo and pop up shower tent.
    Shit is sorted...
    Saw that in Carters Beach and thought that was THE public toilet, but was told (not when I used it, but when I asked) it was private.
    2012 CRD:
    DIYs;
    RedArc Dual battery
    Hifonics audio amp
    Reverse camera

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Option 1- a seat over a hole where possible, but obviously in well utilised camp spots holes full of crap everywhere are not on.

Option 2 - seat over a container containing compostable (not just biodegradeable which can take 2 years to break down) bags - can be disposed of in long drops or buried. Wheel bags are useful for carrying used bags to disposal points, avoiding any smell inside the vehicle. Best if used for ’solids only’.

Option 3 - a portapotti. We have used these extensively ...BUT... don’t use the chemicals which get sold for them. Not only do they destroy the working of any septic system the contents are tipped in, the chemicals smell as bad, if not worse than the ‘deposits’ for what the toilet was designed. The smell of the chemicals was pervasive through our vehicle when we used them, & emptying the potti was pretty rank too. Instead like many others, we now use generic napisan, look for the ones with the most Sodium Percarbonate. 34% or better will do the job, or alternatively go to your local home brew shop & buy 100% sodium percabonate (used for cleaning beer bottles). We’ve only ever used the nappy wash, a 1 KG container will last for ages & it’s cheaper than the chemicals as well as being septic safe.

Method: When setting up the portapotti cover the floor of the lower container with water & add 2 to 4 heaped teaspoons of the powder. Add another teaspoon after each ‘deposit’ & flush. Sloshing around in the vehicle when driving helps breakdown, but if it is left at camp for a while & you get any smell, just add a bit more. Works really well, & although emptying is never going to be a job you look forward to, it is much improved.

Do not buy nappy washes with added fragrances etc- just the cheaper ‘oxy action’ stuff will do. Only put plain water in the top tank. Once in a while lubricate the sliding seal with a little olive oil, spray on is easiest. An aerosol bought for the purpose will last for years.
    Cuppa, most useful post, thanks.
    2012 CRD:
    DIYs;
    RedArc Dual battery
    Hifonics audio amp
    Reverse camera

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For family camping we use a kookaburra bush dunny (almost the same as the ironman fold up type as the missus WILL NOT squat behind a tree), with a pop up shower tent. If we can we can dig a hole with a compostible bag as a liner, otherwise if not then a double garbage bag and take the waste out, we then use saw dust to put in over the waste as it pretty much cancels any smells and seems to prevent any leakages at least so far for us.

We do make sure in those circumstances that we use good quality strong bags that can be properly tied up, and don't store them inside the vehicle before disposal, just in case....... Wheel bag seems the best option for us thus far, then dispose of at suitable disposal point.
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    im sorry but can i just ask, why is using public toilets a problem? is that what you mean? or are you saying when there are no toilets available? if thats what you mean tegan and I take a pop up toilet tent and have a fold-able toilet seat, its made from woven plastic so when we get home we just hose it off to clean it. we dig a decent hole and make sure that everything gets buried nice and deep.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    im sorry but can i just ask, why is using public toilets a problem? is that what you mean? or are you saying when there are no toilets available? if thats what you mean tegan and I take a pop up toilet tent and have a fold-able toilet seat, its made from woven plastic so when we get home we just hose it off to clean it. we dig a decent hole and make sure that everything gets buried nice and deep.
    It's a women thing..
    I don't understand my wife's fobia either..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    It does seem that some people have a ’thing’ about using public toilets, & especially ‘long drops’.
    Not us though. Our Portapotti is for when camped at places where there is no public toilet & digging holes is inappropriate or as is not uncommon - impossible because of hard/rocky ground.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (18th January 2016), micknor51 (30th April 2016)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast