Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portable BBQ

G'day guys,

So I'm on a mission to buy a bbq that'll do a better job than our current little butane gas job. Everyone seems to think that a Baby Q is the way to go but my wife says she doesn't want one for a few reasons, mostly it just isn't very friendly for fitting the maximum amount of gear into the patrol.

She is wanting something like this:
    http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Gasmate-Adventurer-Portable-BBQ.aspx?pid=368130&menuFrom=571613#Recommendation s

I don't have any problem with it except that I could probably bend the hotplate with my bare hands if I tried hard enough. Doesn't seem conducive to good even cooking (I was a chef in an earlier life (haha, at 27 I have an 'earlier life!'...))

Wondering if anyone has any other thoughts other than building a thicker hotplate for that bbq?

I'm looking for something that runs on gas, has a decent hotplate, folds down as flat as practicable, etc.

Thanks guys.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got one of these a bit over a year ago.

http://www.anacondastores.com/campin...e/p/BP90005376

Best stove I've ever purchased. Never fails me. Can use small canisters as shown in the pic, or a bigger bottle (I take the 9kg away on longer trips).

Great heat output from it, if anything trying to get it on a low temp can be a bit fiddly to get them even. Electric start, packs up easy, and the griddle thing packs up inside too. Mine's been in all sorts of conditions and is yet to let me down. Keep an eye out for their sales. We got ours for around $150 from memory. It packs up flat so it's easy enough to store as well, much more space friendly than the Baby Q.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Throbbinhood For This Useful Post:

michaelgreeny (14th January 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,716 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelgreeny View Post
    G'day guys,

So I'm on a mission to buy a bbq that'll do a better job than our current little butane gas job. Everyone seems to think that a Baby Q is the way to go but my wife says she doesn't want one for a few reasons, mostly it just isn't very friendly for fitting the maximum amount of gear into the patrol.

She is wanting something like this:
    http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/p...ecommendations

I don't have any problem with it except that I could probably bend the hotplate with my bare hands if I tried hard enough. Doesn't seem conducive to good even cooking (I was a chef in an earlier life (haha, at 27 I have an 'earlier life!'...))

Wondering if anyone has any other thoughts other than building a thicker hotplate for that bbq?

I'm looking for something that runs on gas, has a decent hotplate, folds down as flat as practicable, etc.

Thanks guys.
    Ok the Weber won't cook unless the lid is down and they do take up a lot of room, gas mate are just cheap Chinese although some of their product is good but I would scour the gumtree ads for a good one cheap.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

michaelgreeny (14th January 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    I got one of these a bit over a year ago.

http://www.anacondastores.com/campin...e/p/BP90005376

Best stove I've ever purchased. Never fails me. Can use small canisters as shown in the pic, or a bigger bottle (I take the 9kg away on longer trips).

Great heat output from it, if anything trying to get it on a low temp can be a bit fiddly to get them even. Electric start, packs up easy, and the griddle thing packs up inside too. Mine's been in all sorts of conditions and is yet to let me down. Keep an eye out for their sales. We got ours for around $150 from memory. It packs up flat so it's easy enough to store as well, much more space friendly than the Baby Q.
    Same as mine. I love it, only ever use the small cannisters on mine.
    Better than the other cans for other stoves as they don't freeze in the high country in winter
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lucus30 For This Useful Post:

michaelgreeny (15th January 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers guys, any idea how much time you might get out of one of the small canisters? How many would you need for a trip say a week long?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelgreeny View Post
    Cheers guys, any idea how much time you might get out of one of the small canisters? How many would you need for a trip say a week long?
    Honestly Depends. I would probably use about 2 myself for a week, but thats just cooking for me and the wife
    Most meals on it, no coffees and probably one camp oven meal on the fire
    Maybe a hot water bottle or two for the Ms in winter and obviously doing some hot water for dishes
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lucus30 For This Useful Post:

michaelgreeny (15th January 2016)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We find we go through probably a couple on a weekend trip, though we do cook a fair bit and if we can't use the fire for the camp oven we'll happily put it on the stove. At $10 a pop for the canisters, they can get a bit pricey. Since I've been taking the 9kg bottle, I'm yet to refill it, going on 12 months now - camping on the weekend every 2-3 weeks - so if you can squeeze the bottle in, or even a 4.5kg one, it's worth it. The 4.5's aren't that much bigger than a couple of canisters anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    First off that link you posted doesnt work,
    What type of cooking do you do is it just for chops, sausages and a cup of tea in the morning
    or something more complex like a roast maybe??
    For a cup of tea/coffee I have a Ghilli kettle works a treat IMO

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ghillie-K...gAAMXQlgtS8h2F

Factor in about 1.5hrs per can as a safety margin.
    Are those cookers legal again ???
    Last edited by threedogs; 15th January 2016 at 11:01 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 4,658 Times in 3,123 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had my time again I'd get a petrol cooker over the gas..
    It's not a huge issue carrying around the 4kg bottle but it is just an extra thing..
    But in saying that once I make an outlet on the van for the gas it'll be one less thing needed unless we go tent again..
    I usually strapped the gas bottle to the cargo barrier..
    We have the Primus high output twin stove..
    25000 btu per burner..
    Boils a liter of water in a minute..
    And I've made a full size 600x300 plate to utilize the full surface for the family..
    http://www.anacondastores.com/campin...e/p/BP90033056
    Last edited by BigRAWesty; 15th January 2016 at 11:02 AM.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    We find we go through probably a couple on a weekend trip, though we do cook a fair bit and if we can't use the fire for the camp oven we'll happily put it on the stove. At $10 a pop for the canisters, they can get a bit pricey. Since I've been taking the 9kg bottle, I'm yet to refill it, going on 12 months now - camping on the weekend every 2-3 weeks - so if you can squeeze the bottle in, or even a 4.5kg one, it's worth it. The 4.5's aren't that much bigger than a couple of canisters anyway.
    Here try this to re fill your cannisters,,

,http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161312351...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast