Thread: Where have you been - camping/bike riding/river with boys under 10

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where have you been - camping/bike riding/river with boys under 10

Just thought of putting this out there if this helps me/others in finding new places to go..

We are a family of four with two energetic boys (10 and 8), we do mostly bike riding, bush walking (as I have sold my kayak for a future jetski).

Our favorite places so far are Jamieson and Bright.

Jamieson - good for a relaxed time, beautiful greenery, fantastic river to have a bath or catch a fish. When we were in the caravan park the kids enjoyed riding the bikes all around no worries for us as it was very safe.

Bright - excellent bike riding paths, fabulous food, beautiful scenery if you are visiting in Autumn or Spring.

We love places like these to spend our kids' energy and for us to have a good time.

Have you guys (family with young kids) been anywhere that you would like to share....!

Thanks,
    2012 CRD:
    DIYs;
    RedArc Dual battery
    Hifonics audio amp
    Reverse camera

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MyGU8 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (9th January 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, great question, very keen to hear for others what they do with their Kids, I have a 10y/o son and he comes everywhere with me. We have crossed the Simpson together twice including the Northern Madigan Line when he was 7. Loved it. He loved swag trips with me and enjoys the Extreme side of stuff in the GQ when i haven't wrecked it.

My Daughter is 4 and loved to camp. They both love 4wdriving but we don't get out enough. They really love seeing other members from here and when there are kids on the trip its even better. When i tell the kids we are going away with "The Guys" its all great.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,714 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any good sandy banks on the Murray are some of my favorites with young kids under 5.

Most of the spots in and around Strathmerton and Tocumwal have sandy banks and shallow entry to the Murray and you can camp right on the banks to watch the kids play.

Close to town, good fishing, no mud so the kids stay relatively clean, camp fires on the banks, bushwalking, motorbikes and push bikes, etc.

Kids love it!

Just need to do a solid clean up of any idiots leaving broken glass around campsites from previous camp fires, thats all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Sprock (9th January 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    They both love 4wdriving but we don't get out enough.
    Exactly..
    We used to go every school holidays and in between, but after building our own house things changed a bit, but now getting back on track. Hoping to get to Tassie and Brissie.
    The kids aren't going to stay on that age too long aren't they.. so wanted to make good use of that...

Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post

around Strathmerton and Tocumwal have sandy banks and shallow entry to the Murray and you can camp right on the banks to watch the kids play.
    I am going to give this a go next week AB, it's not too far from my place.

Thanks,
    2012 CRD:
    DIYs;
    RedArc Dual battery
    Hifonics audio amp
    Reverse camera

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Any good sandy banks on the Murray are some of my favorites with young kids under 5.

Most of the spots in and around Strathmerton and Tocumwal have sandy banks and shallow entry to the Murray and you can camp right on the banks to watch the kids play.

Close to town, good fishing, no mud so the kids stay relatively clean, camp fires on the banks, bushwalking, motorbikes and push bikes, etc.

Kids love it!

Just need to do a solid clean up of any idiots leaving broken glass around campsites from previous camp fires, thats all.
    Great spot
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    X2 any whare along the Murray where there is a beach is area nice and safe.
    Even where we go at Bearii some spots you can walk half way across the river and its only up to your knees.
    Plus there is always a rope hanging down somewhere lol
    The spot Bob and Roofy go is safe to swim IMO Carters Beach I think its called
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Escix,

Heaps of spots around ... here are a few to get you started.

Anywhere on the Wellington river above Licola is great .... not as good for bike riding, but we end up there at least once a year.

Pineapple Flat on the King River isn't bad, and not too far from you.

Sheepyard Flat on the Howqua is also pretty good with a huge flat are for bike riding, but gets packed out on a long weekend.

Wonangatta would be another location that would be good, with a big flat area and nice river for fishing and swimming.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

MyGU8 (9th January 2016), Sprock (9th January 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mic,

Some very good places which I didn't know before (except Sheepyard Flat).

Pineapple Flat interests me for a possible boys trip next week
    2012 CRD:
    DIYs;
    RedArc Dual battery
    Hifonics audio amp
    Reverse camera

Thanks
    Thanked 12,385 Times in 6,249 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Otooles campground in Aberfeldy would be a good one too, huge flat campsite with a track that goes right around it which would be great for the bikes. A few big swimming holes too.
    Talbotville would be good too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

MyGU8 (10th January 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,260 Times in 6,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah theres a good little day track that follows the King river too. I take it the bikes are push bikes, not trail bikes...
    If they are trail bikes dont bother with Sheepyards or Pineapple flat or anywhere around that way for a fact. The cops are like flies to shit. They wont go away and are a real pain in the butt.
    A bit further down the King river is the King hut. Usually not as busy as Pineapple flat though and good space for kids.
    Further down stream of Sheepyards is Fryers hut. Its larger than a footy oval sized area, no tree's through the middle and good for bikes. Good swimming there too.
    But again, the cops are always there hassling everyone.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MyGU8 (10th January 2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast