Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PICS - Cape York in the Wet Season

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although my experience of the Cape is extremely limited, I’m wondering if I recognise the spot in that last pic with the car parked in the water with you standing in front of it. Is it the first water crossing you come to when heading north on the Endeavour-Battlecamp road? That’s as far as we took the bikes up that road on a ‘day trip’. I suppose there are many spots that look similar.

ps. there are some suitable entries for this months photo comp among your shots
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cuppa; 7th January 2016 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Added ps

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Cuppa, no that's not it. I was up on the Desailley Range for that photo, on the crossing of the McLeod River, near the platypus research area. It is a bit off the beaten track and not many know about it unless they are local to the area.

Always happy to point you in the right direction to best enjoy the cape, although the crowds have a lot to do with that enjoyment in my book. Still, it ain't 'my' cape and is there to be enjoyed by all.

Kimberley's are next for me, so I'll be asking lots of questions on that trip soon. Unfortunately I suspect I will be limited to the 'tourist season' for that trip though.

Ben
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (8th January 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 3,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FNQGU View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Cuppa, no that's not it. I was up on the Desailley Range for that photo, on the crossing of the McLeod River, near the platypus research area. It is a bit off the beaten track and not many know about it unless they are local to the area.

Always happy to point you in the right direction to best enjoy the cape, although the crowds have a lot to do with that enjoyment in my book. Still, it ain't 'my' cape and is there to be enjoyed by all.

Kimberley's are next for me, so I'll be asking lots of questions on that trip soon. Unfortunately I suspect I will be limited to the 'tourist season' for that trip though.

Ben
    You will love the Kimberleys, I can give you a few tips when you are planning for that.
    I read Cuppa's blog from when he went to the Kimberleys and that helped me decide on a few places to visit.
    I am planning to go up the cape next year so I will be after advice from you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (8th January 2016)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thanks. Might go and dig up that Blog and have a read too.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are great pictures,love the top one with the dark story clouds

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hi-psi-patrol For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (27th November 2016)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had these and a bit of a story published in 4wd Touring Australia magazine! April edition if anyone is interested.

Ben

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

MB (10th April 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done! You’re gonna be making a lot more folk jealous now & no doubt sowing the seeds for a few more dreams.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (9th April 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FNQGU View Post
    Just had these and a bit of a story published in 4wd Touring Australia magazine! April edition if anyone is interested.

Ben
    Congratulations, is that the Yanky guy Carlisle Rodgers ? Love the spots he goes to but geez he needs an interpreter or captions on the bottom of the screen for his tv show .
    I've tried but can't keep up with the thesaurus.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (10th April 2017)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, yeah that's the one. Apparently been here 20 years but still has quite an accent.

He gets a bit philosophical for me on occasion but I like what he does and what he is about. Sometimes though I have no idea what he means, even after reading the same sentence three times and getting out the dictionary. He takes great photos though and I think he is spot on when it comes to the travel being the most important part, not the actual destination. It is bloody hard for some of us to slow down and just enjoy being out there but it is something I think we all need to put more conscious effort into doing. Once you stop thinking about how many kilometers per day you need to travel to stay on schedule, all sorts of experiences and vistas will find you.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (10th April 2017), threedogs (10th April 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Although I went to the Cape way back in 83 I remember it like yesterday still.
    After opening and closing a few gates we were on the CREB track, being green
    we walked all river crossings great fun and refreshing in the heat [sept]. Came
    across a guy washing his Jeep at one crossing and thought WT heck. continued on
    a guy and his family in a Landy said better get over this next hill as there is rain
    coming yeah right its 32 degrees, Yep he was right a sun shower stopped us half
    way up this huge mountain track, 3 hrs later the track dried enough for us to get mobile
    again we told the driver dont stop till you get to the top. Lucky we were fit back then as it
    took us 3/4hr to walk to the top what a hill what a climb. waiting at the top a Jeep towing a trailer
    came hurtling up, Just shows you how conditions changed. Across the top of the Plateau
    was nothing but bulldust till we reached the Anna river. Awesome trip great memories lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

19. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (10th April 2017)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast