Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyre wear

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyre wear

Just interested in what people have experienced with tyre wear on their Patrols. Is the front harder on tyres than the rear or do tyres on the rear experience faster wear. The reason I ask is that I did not rotate my tyres for 30000km (I know, me bad) and the fronts have 5mm of tread depth whilst the rears have 8mm left. The fronts have worn evenly so there is no problem with alignment.

I do have a lokka in the front but I unlock the manual hubs when on the road so would the extra wear be caused by the locker when off-road? Or is it just when cornering as the car is quite heavy and with all the weight pushing on the outside tyre it causes more wear.

Has anyone noticed a difference in wear between front and rear?
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting you mentioned that as I had excessive wear on the front wheels when I had my lokka which completely changed my off-roading techniques.

I ended up doing the majority of my off-roading in 4H and on the fly back to 2h every single time 4wd wasn't needed which meant 40 times a day in the high country, no exaggeration!

I also live in the hills and spend 80% of my driving on hairpins so I couldn't pin point the exact cause and now I have km2 and air lockers.

Haven't noticed any excessive wear on the fronts so it may be the cause of leaving the lokka in regularly but can't confirm.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Rock Trol (28th December 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not a tyre guru but my fronts wear faster than the rear. Maybe it is weight distribution.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    Not a tyre guru but my fronts wear faster than the rear. Maybe it is weight distribution.
    Neither am I and I agree...
    My fronts wear quicker unless I am towing then the backs wear quicker
    I notice the difference because when I tow it is usally a 10 to 12,000 K trip
    Mine is a ute with a Chev in it tho so the weight is def forward around town

Rotation wise mine rotate clockwise on the drivers side and anti-clockwise on the pax side
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Interesting you mentioned that as I had excessive wear on the front wheels when I had my lokka which completely changed my off-roading techniques.

I ended up doing the majority of my off-roading in 4H and on the fly back to 2h every single time 4wd wasn't needed which meant 40 times a day in the high country, no exaggeration!

I also live in the hills and spend 80% of my driving on hairpins so I couldn't pin point the exact cause and now I have km2 and air lockers.

Haven't noticed any excessive wear on the fronts so it may be the cause of leaving the lokka in regularly but can't confirm.
    I am guessing AB that you have not had the air lockers in long enough to confirm that the Lokka was the problem with the tyre wear?
    How do you find going from auto to selectable lockers? Is it worth the price?
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    I am guessing AB that you have not had the air lockers in long enough to confirm that the Lokka was the problem with the tyre wear? How do you find going from auto to selectable lockers? Is it worth the price?
    definitely not long enough. Check the happy thread mate. It is well worth it!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    definitely not long enough. Check the happy thread mate. It is well worth it!!!
    Just read the thread. Sounds like a definite improvement. The only things that really sh1ts me about my locker was losing the ability to drive at high speed in 4WD on dirt roads. I don't mind it too much apart from that.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

AB (28th December 2015)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rock Trol arent your lockers selectable ie air or electric if they are you can go back to a open diff with the hubs in cant you ?
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dads tractor View Post
    Rock Trol arent your lockers selectable ie air or electric if they are you can go back to a open diff with the hubs in cant you ?
    No, I have an auto locker (lokka brand) in the front and the LSD in the rear. Works well enough.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah now I see said the blind man !
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast