Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disabling traction control in 2014 Y61

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is really odd the TCS is an issue, maybe the TCS in the Patrol is a tad tricked up over what I am used to.
    Suspension mods and the like usually affect ESC not TCS.

TCS should sense a spinning wheel via the ABS sensor and be selectable by the driver
    ABS should always be functional unless you pull a fuse IE cannot inadvertently be disabled by the driver

Are any of you guys with the lift in the TCS equipped patrols running adjustable steering arms?
    If the arm is adjusted to recentre the steering wheel does the issue not appear or go away?

As a point of interest an ABS vehicle will out brake and out handle a non ABS twin on bitumen but it is the other way around on Sand or Soft Surfaces.
    That's why advanced off road driving techniques may include pulling the ABS fuse as part of the course.
    Whatever you do... Don't forget to put the sucker back in tho
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
    Now this is strange as TC should not come in to play unless one of the wheels is spinning. Have you modified anything on the suspension, different tyres or added things like roof rack etc? Otherwise you should take it back to Nissan to have it corrected/checked. I have a suspicion that this is a result of Nissan making "VDC" (Vehicle Dynamic Control aka Electronic Stability Control) too sensitive to body roll and also since they use this system accross the whole range of cars something is amiss in the Y61. Do you get the amber light VDC flashing on the dash when that happens? Any chance these problems have started after you disconnected the battery for some electrical work etc.
    It is entirely possible the EPS/VDC steering wheel sensor needs to be reset/recal again.

BTW, we can thank Victorian government for this crap in the first place as Nissan would not fit tech like that to what is essentailly obsolete, dying vehicle platform/series. It looks like Patrol's body roll is simply incompatible with this shyte however these things can be tweaked so it appears another feck up by famous Nissan.

If it was mine I know what I'd do, out comes the fuse which powers this entire nonsense (better trip the fuse and insert it back in case insurance company decides to look in case of accident).

IMHO if one needs ABS/EBS/VDC/ESP or other electronic crap to stay on the road then return the drivers licence. People crash their cars because the do stupid things behind the wheel and no amount of technology can fix that, it just makes worse for everyone else. Fark the cars which park themselves or worse drive themselves what a future, time to walk again....

Regards
    Was happening standard from showroom

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    It is really odd the TCS is an issue, maybe the TCS in the Patrol is a tad tricked up over what I am used to.
    Suspension mods and the like usually affect ESC not TCS.
    I think in the new models the two systems are somewhat integrated. The Nissan documentation I read said that TCS will limit engine output if it detects loss of traction. Interestingly I've never had any TCS warning lights flash up on the dash when the system has kicked in :/
    I believe ESC is supposed to apply brakes to individual wheels to counteract body roll on hard cornering.
    Whatever the case, my car drives a million times better on winding roads when I have the TCS turned off. Kind of defeats the purpose really...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2013 model with 2" OME kit.
    I have no issues except in the rain usually when going around corners too fast.

Some people have issues lifting more than 2" as the extra body roll tricks the Yaw sensors into thinking you are losing control.
    Another issue seems to be with the steering wheel. If the steering wheel is out this will cause issues. As the patrol does not have an adjustable draglink you may have to remove the steering wheel, and reset it. Not ideal, but hopefully should fix the issue. Or spend the coin and get a adjustable draglink from superior

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further to this ............. I have recently fitted a Superior Engineering adjustable draglink & steering damper. I have also adjusted the steering wheel to dead center. It has made some improvement. I now think that it's the yaw sensor that is causing the issue. If I go around a "round-a bout" at normal speed, no problem, but do it with some speed & body roll it kicks in the traction control. I think I can live with this as it is now predictable. For tight bendy roads I just switch it off.
    Now if I can just fix the steering wobble between 70 - 80 klms .......
    Last edited by bazzaboy; 10th February 2016 at 08:55 AM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2013 Y61 that has the traction control in it and have done almost 55,000km in it. It is lifted a smidge over two inches, on 285/70R17 has bull bar & winch and 95% of the time roof racks & awning etc too.

Reading your symptoms, I don't think it has anything to do (or minimal at most) with your modifications and is an issue with your system is not working correctly unless you are driving like a maniac. I have never had an issue with it being over invasive. The only time it kicks in is when you hook it through a corner way too fast and it pulls the car back into line far better than I could even with plenty of years experience driving in various motorport events. The other time is when on balder tyres and you are accelerating hard and a wheel starts to spin but in this instance usually it doesn't kill power, it only brakes the spinning wheel.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if it is an issue with the system. I have had issues with mine on several occasions including off the showroom floor where the traction control side of the system wasn't working but the VDC side still did. I think it took Nissan two or three goes under warranty to get it and my diff lock to work as they should. I had my 2in lift, bullbar and winch on the vehicle at the time and these were not even mentioned as issues. Keep on at your dealer to fix it!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ( QUOTE=coiled;658712]I have a 2013 Y61 that has the traction control in it and have done almost 55,000km in it. It is lifted a smidge over two inches, on 285/70R17 has bull bar & winch and 95% of the time roof racks & awning etc too.

Reading your symptoms, I don't think it has anything to do (or minimal at most) with your modifications and is an issue with your system is not working correctly unless you are driving like a maniac. I have never had an issue with it being over invasive. The only time it kicks in is when you hook it through a corner way too fast and it pulls the car back into line far better than I could even with plenty of years experience driving in various motorport events. The other time is when on balder tyres and you are accelerating hard and a wheel starts to spin but in this instance usually it doesn't kill power, it only brakes the spinning wheel.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if it is an issue with the system. I have had issues with mine on several occasions including off the showroom floor where the traction control side of the system wasn't working but the VDC side still did. I think it took Nissan two or three goes under warranty to get it and my diff lock to work as they should. I had my 2in lift, bullbar and winch on the vehicle at the time and these were not even mentioned as issues. Keep on at your dealer to fix it![/QUOTE]

Let me assure you that this is a more common issue than you think. I know friends with the exact same vehicle and mods that experience no similar issues, and others with the exact same issues. My problem with the dealer I purchased it from is that they refuse any responsibility whatsoever, claiming ANY modification to lift, steering, or tyres, makes any warranty claims for steering or any associated issues void. It's got to the point that I no longer have them service my 1 year old vehicle. I got sick and tired of listing to customers arguing about bad service and warranty issues every time I took mine in. "If you washed it, you void all warranties", that was one customer's moto I overheard at the dealership. Luckily my son is a qualified mechanic and now does the "log-book" servicing on my Patrol using only genuine Nissan parts & products. This has saved me a lot of money and lost sleep.

If I ever have a major mechanical problem during the warranty, I have no problem engaging a barrister and fighting the fight, because I'm sure that's what it would take.

Getting back to the plot ...... no I do not drive like a idiot. As I mentioned, it is now a lot better than it was, although it will still "cut in" on some sharp corners, round-abouts, and bends. If or when this happens I just switch it off, but as said, it is happening less frequently. I will have to live with this until I can "pin-point" the cause.

Bazza.
    Last edited by bazzaboy; 11th February 2016 at 02:20 PM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzaboy View Post
    ( QUOTE=coiled;658712]I have a 2013 Y61 that has the traction control in it and have done almost 55,000km in it. It is lifted a smidge over two inches, on 285/70R17 has bull bar & winch and 95% of the time roof racks & awning etc too.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if it is an issue with the system. I have had issues with mine on several occasions including off the showroom floor where the traction control side of the system wasn't working but the VDC side still did. I think it took Nissan two or three goes under warranty to get it and my diff lock to work as they should. I had my 2in lift, bullbar and winch on the vehicle at the time and these were not even mentioned as issues. Keep on at your dealer to fix it!

Let me assure you that this is a more common issue than you think. I know friends with the exact same vehicle and mods that experience no similar issues, and others with the exact same issues. My problem with the dealer I purchased it from is that they refuse any responsibility whatsoever, claiming ANY modification to lift, steering, or tyres, makes any warranty claims for steering or any associated issues void. It's got to the point that I no longer have them service my 1 year old vehicle. I got sick and tired of listing to customers arguing about bad service and warranty issues every time I took mine in. "If you washed it, you void all warranties", that was one customer's moto I overheard at the dealership. Luckily my son is a qualified mechanic and now does the "log-book" servicing on my Patrol using only genuine Nissan parts & products. This has saved me a lot of money and lost sleep.

If I ever have a major mechanical problem during the warranty, I have no problem engaging a barrister and fighting the fight, because I'm sure that's what it would take.

Getting back to the plot ...... no I do not drive like a idiot. As I mentioned, it is now a lot better than it was, although it will still "cut in" on some sharp corners, round-abouts, and bends. If or when this happens I just switch it off, but as said, it is happening less frequently. I will have to live with this until I can "pin-point" the cause.

Bazza.[/QUOTE]

Bazza,

Sorry if you took offence. My post wasn't intended that way. I too have had ongoing issues with mine (seemingly now resolved) albeit on the TCS side rather than the VDC but it is all the same system so I wasn't implying it is rare. I am implying that I think it has absolutely nothing to do with your modifications. With regards to driving like a maniac that was tongue in cheek I should have perhaps put a smiley after it.

I have an ongoing issue with mine of a funny noise in the front right just after you start moving forward. It happens more than daily but is intermittent. I have had it back to the dealer and they don't want a bar of it. Basically wait until it gets worse or live with it. The service they provide can only be described in censored words. I find it amusing that the private import laws are changing in 2018 which the dealers etc are up in arms about and raising after sales service and warranty matters. When you get the little service Nissan seems to deliver it isn't much to give up for the $$ to be saved.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coiled View Post

Bazza.
    Bazza,

Sorry if you took offence. My post wasn't intended that way. I too have had ongoing issues with mine (seemingly now resolved) albeit on the TCS side rather than the VDC but it is all the same system so I wasn't implying it is rare. I am implying that I think it has absolutely nothing to do with your modifications. With regards to driving like a maniac that was tongue in cheek I should have perhaps put a smiley after it.

I have an ongoing issue with mine of a funny noise in the front right just after you start moving forward. It happens more than daily but is intermittent. I have had it back to the dealer and they don't want a bar of it. Basically wait until it gets worse or live with it. The service they provide can only be described in censored words. I find it amusing that the private import laws are changing in 2018 which the dealers etc are up in arms about and raising after sales service and warranty matters. When you get the little service Nissan seems to deliver it isn't much to give up for the $$ to be saved.[/QUOTE]

Coiled,

No offense taken or implied. Sorry if I came across a bit heated, it was not my intention. I appreciate everyone's views & opinions including yours.

I am in total agreement with you about the complete lack of costumer service about their product. I'm just not used to it. This is my first Patrol after 10 years in two Prados and there is just no comparison between Nissan & Toyota's costumer service. In those 10 years I never had an argument or heated discussion with Toyota about service or warranty issues. Their method was to check it out first and then discuss if it's a warranty issue. My Nissan's dealers method is complete denial if you have done ANY mods at all, with no inspection. I had a conversation with their head mechanic about the traction control kicking in. He agreed with me and thought that there may be an issue and that he would investigate. When I went back to collect it he told me that he was directed by the service department manager not to investigate and to say nothing.

I'd like to think that only my dealership is this way and that there are many/some good ones out there. In my case, they will never see my Patrol again, unless it a fight over a major warranty claim. My experience has put me off ever buying another new Nissan again.

Bazza

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add my Y61 2016 model to the list of Patrols that are affected by this. I have a Pedders 3505kg GVM Upgrade kit fitted that gives about a 2" lift and also have 33" tyres and have been chasing a problem for a while that I though was related to a lack of boost at low revs. Thanks to bazzaboy suggesting in another thread that it could be the VDC system cutting power, it seems that this is the case. I've been driving it the past day and a half and switching off VDC every time I start the car, so far so good, no power cuts or hesitation on the usual suspect corners. I don't drive it hard and it wasn't happening on every corner or roundabout, but it seems like it is certainly related to an issue with the VDC.

I also have an adjustable drag link fitted and the steering is centred, so no worries there. It definitely seems like something to do with the yaw sensor, but I don't think I'll bother asking Nissan for help fixing it, as I can guess what the answer will be. I've seen references on other forums to simply adding a switch to the 12v power wire to the G sensor, but not sure if these are applicable to the Patrol. For now I'll live with turning it off when it annoys me, but hope someone with a bit more electrical knowledge can work out where to cut and add a switch into the system, so it doesn't need to be done every time we start the car.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12