Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fridges....

Howdy all.
    I want to throw a fridge in the truck, keep my water cool and my packed lunches fresh.

Before I rock up to Rays Outdoors and give them all my money, what's the advice?
    I know Waeco and Engel are the major brands (I guess?) but they seem to be a few $$$ more than anyone else- Do they rate it? if you had to pick what would you go for?

I'm after simplicity and reliability over any fancy functions. It doesn't need a built in GPS or play greensleaves or anything.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 Waeco's both been good.
    If i was going to buy something a bit cheaper I would still look for one with a Danfos compressor.
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can only recommend Engel. Only because I have two of them. One is 15 years old and has been running pretty much 24/7 and is still going great. Waeco's are supposed to be good too. ARB aswell...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hah, I suppose there might be a reason they sell everywhere and for the price they do.

I am sort of hoping someone will come by and persuade me the (slightly) cheaper ones are just as good.

Oh well. I think I like the look of the Engels better.

Does anyone use the covers? do they add much insulation?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ive had a 40ltr Engel running virtually non stop in two different 4x4s since about 1994.
    Still going strong and unmarked as well, No little one's so its mounted behind the driver.
    All Ive done is fit a small LED light on a tilt switch and an extra fan to cool the compressor.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 12v outlet near the rear door, so it'll probably go there. Just means I have to stop and run around the truck if I want a snack.
    I'm tempted to take out the passenger seat and put it there, but I'm not sure if that is a good plan in the long run (or even legal)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The local Engle Guru I bought mine from said that if you are hanging out in moderate to cool climates, than pretty much any of the name brands will do the trick. It's when you head north into the hot stuff that a quality fridge makes a difference. I would have loved to have gotten a lunar (they use them on deployment in the Middle East) but are just way, way out of my price range. So far, the Engle has been great. Have a think about where you will use it and go from there.

Tap tap tap
    Looking for a 4WD Club in WA that caters solely for Patrol, Safari and Maverick owners? Click here to HERE to visit the Western Patrol Club. Click HERE for the Beagle Mobile Mods!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What do you want the fridge for long trips with cyro vaced food or just some cool ones for a weekend away.
    That will determine what size you need , I only use my Engle for food if going fishing and drinks for day trips.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spend a bit of time in the central sort of region, so I should probably spend the coin on a good one (currently the esky with ice bricks is lucky to last a day).

I want to be able to keep cool for 5 days. I am looking at solar options to facilitate that.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,415 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have had an Engel for about 4 years now, my dad has had his Engel for nearly 30 years running non stop in the truck and has been repaired 3 times. Not bad I say!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast