Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GQ Fixing...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not a picture of my car, but it shows where the conduit should be from the air filter (missing on my car too)

It runs fine enough picking up air in the engine bay, but i'd like to put something in there anyway.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day and welcome to the forum. Have a look at this thread: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-Helpful-Hints
    there is a picture of an RB30 engine bay.
    The Rb30 carby has a heater grid at the base of the carby. I removed mine as it was already disintergrating and bits were getting chewed up by the engine. I got better performance and economy as a bonus. I had to reinstall the preheat flap to help with warming the engine up as I live way down south, but it may not be an issue for you.
    Last edited by mudnut; 16th December 2015 at 10:07 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (17th December 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    G'day and welcome to the forum. Have a look at this thread: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-Helpful-Hints
    The Rb30 carby has a heater grid at the base of the carby. I removed mine as it was already disintergrating and bits were getting chewed up by the engine. I got better performance and economy as a bonus. I had to reinstall the preheat flap to help with warming the engine up as I live way down south, but it may not be an issue for you.

I'm wondering if someone has already tried this, and butchered it before he brought it...........
    hence the hard to start.........
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Here he is. Was waiting for you.
    How are you going for parts for yours MN
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

mudnut (17th December 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mudnut, your thread was one of the first I read. I almost stole your pics to explain the situation.

A few people have mentioned the carby heat grid, so I guess i'll check it out and see what the go is.

I'm and heading further and further south, so I the preheat think might become more relevant for me.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: Well the Carby is off (funny, they always say never work under a car only supported by a jack, but they never say never work under a bonnet supported only by rickety metal stick).

It looks like someone already removed the little grid. Plus I found a sticker that said "Johnno was here" (or words to that effect)

Anyway, while it's off I'll empty a can of carby cleaner into it. Tighten all the screws, and carry on.

I've been reading through Dom14's carb rebuild from 2013, which was quite helpful (but more than I am interested in doing. I want to be back on the road this weekend!)

Is it worth replacing these gaskets?

RB30S CARB GASKET UPLOAD 2.pngRB30S CARB GASKET UPLOAD 3.pngRB30S CARB GASKET UPLOAD 1.png
    Last edited by RedRoadRunner; 17th December 2015 at 09:01 AM.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For your airbox/air ducting - I've just run flexi hose from the end of my airbox to my snorkel.. I use a good quality air filter on the main filter unit and got rid of the pre-filter, haven't had any issues thus far. Gave my airbox a wipe out before I hit dirt last time, and whilst I could see dust on the outside of the filter, the inside part was clean (on the airbox as well).

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty much what I'm thinking, once I get the steering back together, I'll head to the shop and get a bit of hose and clamps.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggqwesty View Post
    Here he is. Was waiting for you.
    How are you going for parts for yours MN
    Going Ok thanks Kallen. As for parts, they are few and far between.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (17th December 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRoadRunner View Post
    Update: Well the Carby is off (funny, they always say never work under a car only supported by a jack, but they never say never work under a bonnet supported only by rickety metal stick).

It looks like someone already removed the little grid. Plus I found a sticker that said "Johnno was here" (or words to that effect)

Anyway, while it's off I'll empty a can of carby cleaner into it. Tighten all the screws, and carry on.

I've been reading through Dom14's carb rebuild from 2013, which was quite helpful (but more than I am interested in doing. I want to be back on the road this weekend!)

Is it worth replacing these gaskets?

RB30S CARB GASKET UPLOAD 2.pngRB30S CARB GASKET UPLOAD 3.pngRB30S CARB GASKET UPLOAD 1.png
    Retain the gaskets if they aren't brittle. I have slipped a small ball bearing into the pre-heat flap vacuum hose, for the warmer months.
    I will retain the dust collector when/if I ever get a snorkel. I am thinking of fitting a clear bowl with a tap so I can drain it and also clean out the dust regularly. Also keep the deflector can that juts down into the inlet manifold as it is there for a purpose.
    Last edited by mudnut; 17th December 2015 at 01:45 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast