Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: GQ Fixing...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    This is what I want to do. There may be an easier way to do it. Any ideas?
    Cut a round hole on the dust collector body using a hole cutter and epoxy the moisture & dust bowl.
    Use a high quality epoxy like JB Weld.
    If the dust collector body is metal, you can also consider MIG welding.
    But, that would make the job more time consuming, as you have to remove any paint on the welding area of the metal.
    I think epoxy is the way to go.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130958110...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Last edited by dom14; 17th December 2015 at 11:25 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

mudnut (18th December 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Dom, thanks for the tips. I got a lot out of some of your other threads.

I am a bit short of lithium grease at the moment , (should be coming today) but the carby is already back on. I'm not sure I can be effed taking it off again.

I wasn't talking about the main air cleaner, but the pre filter (dust separator? the thing MN drew a pic of a few posts ago) and the piping from the wheel arch to it, and then to the air cleaner.

A few people seem to think it doesn't do much and it's not worth losing sleep over.
    Buying the parts is $$$ ex Japan, because Nissan hates everyone.
    I'll swing by a wrecker, if there's a decent one to grab I'll get it, otherwise some flexihose and clamps as recommended by another here.

Another option I am considering is a high-flow filter just jammed on somewhere to keep out the big stuff, leaves etc, then the main air cleaner for the rest.

I'm currently coming un-stuck with not being about to get the diff fill plugs unstuck.
    Sort of bringing my adventure to a grinding halt to not be able to undo a few bloody screws.

Edit: Just called 4 parts places - no one carries fill/drain plugs. Can't afford to destroy them in the process....
    Last edited by RedRoadRunner; 18th December 2015 at 09:45 AM.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried patrolapart for your diff plugs?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately I can't get things delivered, as I'm not in any particular place, as it were.

I'd like to go there, but I am not sure if my route takes me through lilydale (lovely place, good pool hall) this time around.

Tried to get a high flow filter to use as a pre-filter today. Nothing in either 2 1/2" or 3 1/2" (the sizes of flange, depending on where it goes)

I feel like my new truck is being deliberately difficult when I specifically bought the old thing for its simplicity, and ease/cheapness of maintenance!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRoadRunner View Post
    Hey Dom, thanks for the tips. I got a lot out of some of your other threads.

I am a bit short of lithium grease at the moment , (should be coming today) but the carby is already back on. I'm not sure I can be effed taking it off again.

I wasn't talking about the main air cleaner, but the pre filter (dust separator? the thing MN drew a pic of a few posts ago) and the piping from the wheel arch to it, and then to the air cleaner.

A few people seem to think it doesn't do much and it's not worth losing sleep over.
    Buying the parts is $$$ ex Japan, because Nissan hates everyone.
    I'll swing by a wrecker, if there's a decent one to grab I'll get it, otherwise some flexihose and clamps as recommended by another here.

Another option I am considering is a high-flow filter just jammed on somewhere to keep out the big stuff, leaves etc, then the main air cleaner for the rest.

I'm currently coming un-stuck with not being about to get the diff fill plugs unstuck.
    Sort of bringing my adventure to a grinding halt to not be able to undo a few bloody screws.

Edit: Just called 4 parts places - no one carries fill/drain plugs. Can't afford to destroy them in the process....
    Lithium grease is preferred 'cos of the white colour as well as lithium in it. But, I reckon regular grease can do the job as well.
    Don't bother to pull the carby out if you've already put it back in.
    Lithium grease is dirt cheap. It's usually the same price as normal grease.

The auxiliary filter you're referring to is not on my RB30 Patrol for years. It runs fine without it as far as I can tell.
    I'm sure it's nice to have it, but if you don't have it, I wouldn't go to the length of chasing a one.
    If you come across a one in a wrecking yard, go for it, otherwise don't worry about it, 'cos I don't think it's that critical.
    Just make sure the main air filter seats pretty well and you clean it regularly.
    I think that auxiliary filter is there to remove the dust and moisture from the intake air, 'cos the plumbing with it ends up fitting on
    to the side panel of the vehicle. I reckon if you install a snorkel, it won't matter at all.(No it does matter, when raining & heavy dust)
    Other than that, having it can help in allowing bit more cooler air into the intake from the side of the vehicle.

For removing the diff and gearbox drain and fill plugs, I made my own tool out of two bolts from hardware store(Bunnings)
    There are two sizes. One for the diffs and the other for the gearbox.
    Basically, get two bolts(10-14mm from memory) and cut them short(if they are long ones) & file the ends to square shape(drain
    and fill bungs of the diff & gearbox are square shape)
    Angle grinder or a file can do the job in no time. You can either measure the bung sizes from the diff & gearbox or just
    grind/file while checking it by pushing into the bungs, until you get it right.
    Doesn't take that long.
    Factory tool that does the same job cost a fortune.
    I couldn't justify paying that much for a tool that I only use once every five years or so.

Just make sure to remove the fill plug, before you remove the drain plug. It's not uncommon to find out the fill plug not budging after removing the drain plug and the oil.

If you are going pass Melbourne East, you can certainly borrow the above tool(s) I made.
    Last edited by dom14; 18th December 2015 at 08:33 PM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

mudnut (18th December 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After coming back from the Border track the dust/collector was chokkers with dust and the air filter was fairly clean. Also it acts as a suedo Hiclone
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

dom14 (18th December 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    After coming back from the Border track the dust/collector was chokkers with dust and the air filter was fairly clean. Also it acts as a suedo Hiclone
    Yeah, Craig. No argument it is put there for a reason. How do you clean the dust collector?
    Is it as easy as cleaning the main air filter?

Sorry, I was wrong about the dust collector being not useful with a snorkel. I guess dust and moisture/water collection cab be even more important
    with a snorkel during dust storms & raining.

Come to think of it, I'll find mine from the shed somewhere and fit it in with new plumbing.
    I do remember now, it was the badly deteriorated rubber plumbing caused me to remove it.
    Last edited by dom14; 18th December 2015 at 08:36 PM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I usually pull housing out and clean it with hot soapy water and a brush. If I know I am going on a really dusty trip, I sometimes wipe the inside of the separator and air filter housing with a clean but oily rag. A lot of dust gets stuck to the oil and it is only a little work to clean it all.
    Last edited by mudnut; 19th December 2015 at 09:36 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

dom14 (18th December 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lithium grease is preferred 'cos of the white colour as well as lithium in it. But, I reckon regular grease can do the job as well.
    Don't bother to pull the carby out if you've already put it back in.
    Lithium grease is dirt cheap. It's usually the same price as normal grease
    I am sure it is all much of a muchness, but Lithium grease is all through my Hilux, so if I do it all the same, I don't have to try to remember in future.
    There are two sizes. One for the diffs and the other for the gearbox.
    I think mine were all 1/2" square drive for the lot?
    I will check and confirm....

Got (most) of the plugs out, with judicious use of levers, heat, and persuasion. It appears the last bloke loctite'd the plugs in.

Hoping I can get replacement plugs. I'm sure I can find the fill plugs. I might have to re-use the magnetic drain plugs (they're a bit less !"£$d in any case)

I was going to do the whole lot (Gearbox, Transfer case, & diffs) with Penrite 80w90. (Again, it's the same thing all through the lux & my mate's cars*, so I don't have to think about it and try to remember what goes where.)

*Except the bloke with a Jeep, because he's a sook.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine is a '94 and it uses Auto Transmission Fluid (ATF) in the transfer case.
    Last edited by mudnut; 19th December 2015 at 01:25 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

dom14 (19th December 2015)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast