OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine REALLY doesn't like cold start...

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the choke butterfly can be moved as you say then the shaft is not seized.
    Have you checked the choke butterfly position when the engine is completely cold?

Tony

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did this quick check when the engine was moderately cold, I'll give it a quick check in the morning. I've got a feeling its permanently stuck in the half open position regardless of the temperature...

Update:
    Given it another quick check and the choke butterfly moves around normally until I touch/pump the accelerator after which it gets stuck in half open position and have to push it hard til it clicks and then it moves freely again, touch the accelerator again and its stuck in half open again. Spring busted or something?
    Would installing a manual choke fix this problem permanently too?

Cheers,

Ted
    Last edited by Ted; 8th April 2011 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just a quick bump,
    you still out there tony?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm here.

Tony

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to know what manual choke system works for the TB42, as mine gives problems in Brisvegas, and even more when I go to the New England area of NSW where it hits -11C.

I have marked the butterfly adjustment so I have reference point to come back to, and rotated the external housing to get the butterfly to close earlier or later. However I think I also need to pay attention to the instructions for fast idle too???

I used to regularly give it all a good squirt with carby cleaner but have been a bit slack lately. Mine must be coming off a bit too soon as it leans out and backfires through carby when it's gone a k or so from cold. Not a fuel filter issue as it responds well to a boot full up a hill when warmed up.

Mechanic mate over the road also has TB42, and in common with other cars he has owned over the years, has removed the choke entirely.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah mate I've had a mechanic look at mine and its not the choke, which works perfectly fine rather its carby problems for me.
    Previous owner I bought the car from hadn't connected the carby and pollution lines properly so I've just connected em back up but am not sure if this has been done properly.
    Am kind of hoping there's someone with a 1990's model GQ with a TB42 Carby so I can see how they're supposed to connect up so I can just copy that, AND living near Newcastle NSW...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12