OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine REALLY doesn't like cold start...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Engine REALLY doesn't like cold start...

Hi guys,

Some help needed, every time I start the engine in the morning it really doesn't enjoy the cold start. Revs will be really low and struggling not to stall, it'll run at say 200 revs or less until the temperature comes up.
    Which has me thinking there's something wrong with the automatic choke, however when the engine begins to warm the revs start to increase and once warm she idles perfectly and purs at me again running smoothly at exactly 650 revs and never misses a beat!

What gives?
    Cheers,

Ted

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Hi guys,

Some help needed, every time I start the engine in the morning it really doesn't enjoy the cold start. Revs will be really low and struggling not to stall, it'll run at say 200 revs or less until the temperature comes up.
    Which has me thinking there's something wrong with the automatic choke, however when the engine begins to warm the revs start to increase and once warm she idles perfectly and purs at me again running smoothly at exactly 650 revs and never misses a beat!

What gives?
    Cheers,

Ted
    Have you cleaned the MAF sensor? Something simple to try, but mine was doing the same after the last trip, and ended up giving the sensor a hit with some CRC mass air flow spray, and hey presto!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mines just like that too, except I have a manual choke which I pull out until warm otherwise the truck shakes like Sh!t or stalls lol I possibly thought the glow plugs arn't as good as they use to be and may need replacing, It's on the "I'll get round to it list" haha
    If you fix yours please post the solution

Cheers
    Brett

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HippoNZ View Post
    Mines just like that too, except I have a manual choke which I pull out until warm otherwise the truck shakes like Sh!t or stalls lol I possibly thought the glow plugs arn't as good as they use to be and may need replacing, It's on the "I'll get round to it list" haha
    If you fix yours please post the solution

Cheers
    Brett
    Is that TD42? mine was doin the same but started running a fuel additive to clean the injectors and its fine, on a real cold morn it'll shake and rock n roll a bit without help from the "choke" but hell of a lot better than it was

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been looking around a bit and indeed its the automatic choke stuck open (Choke off)
    Take off the air filter housing and you can see if the "butterfly" is stuck open or closed.
    Will wait for the car to cool down again and will give it another try and see if it closes, if not I'm pretty sure its dodgy and I'll just turn it into a manual choke. I've recently changed all my spark plugs etc, so I reckon its a reasonably easy fix!
    Cheers though fella's!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    Is that TD42? mine was doin the same but started running a fuel additive to clean the injectors and its fine, on a real cold morn it'll shake and rock n roll a bit without help from the "choke" but hell of a lot better than it was
    Sure is a TD42, I ran a fuel additive last week on trip I did, still on the same tank of fuel. You reckon I should keep doing this for a while to see if it cleans out the injectors? TD42's are a big solid motor so I expect a bit of shake but you could almost charge 5yro for a roller coaster ride! LMAO nah shes not that bad but not that good either. cheers growler

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ted, when you do a cold start do you pump the accelerator once before you start the engine? A lot of automatic chokes need that to reset them to the start position.

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah mate i always give the throttle a little kick when i turn the ignition, heard that little nugget of info before, cheers tony

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the engine is cold remove the air cleaner housing and have a look down the top of the carby, the choke butterfly should be closed. You may need to open the throttle once to release it to the closed position. If the choke butterfly is not closed have a look at the choke coil housing on the outside of the carby, there should be lines that line up between the choke housing and the carby body.
    If it's lined up but still stuck open then it could be either a siezed butterfly shaft or no power to the choke coil.

Tony

11. The Following User Says Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

Ted (8th April 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey tony,
    given it a once over like you said mate, everything is connected up properly, the carby and all lines up the way it should be (had this checked out by a mechanic)
    However the butterfly is stuck half open, with the engine running i gave it a little push to close the choke butterfly and the engine shut off.
    When i turn the key again to start it, it returns to half open position. It wont stay completely open nor will it stay completely shut either, any ideas?
    Last edited by Ted; 8th April 2011 at 04:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast