Thread: Dash Lights flickering

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dash Lights flickering

Am sure its been done before, but i couldn't find anything relevant.

My alternator died taking with it both my batteries

no problem, replaced alternator with a 100a, swapped out starter battery for a working one, then off to shops a week later to buy new stater battery and replaced secondary battery under warranty

now i drives off and the sub tank, seat belt and battery lights flicker on off continuously, then stay on, then flicker! no big deal ill check when get home. I open bonnet, starter batter negative terminal wasnt bolted on tight, ok a little mishap, i ll tighten her up, i check secondary battery, hmm, the ground is loose from battery to engine (i thought the fella was pulling and tugging and banging alot whilst he was working in here) ok no problem, ill tighten that up, ok all is tight.

start her up, no flicker niiiicceeee, drive down the road, and yep, it starts again. lift the bonnet, all is good here.

eventually get it down to auto sparky again, thinks he has found the issue, two clips, one has a wire hanging out and says to me this was hitting the frame causing a short causing lights. ok so he cuts the clips off and put on a plug. run the motor, all seems good.

get down the road and low and behold, it happens again. i didnt go back to auto sparky as i had to be other places.

does anyone one have any ideas?

i have spoken to company i bought the alternator from, they have been awesome, they are going to ship me a new one over night to replace the current new one to rule out this is the fault and at their expense ship current one back to them once ive swapped it out.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like an Alternator issue to me... some of the symptoms are classic for that.

If you are getting a new Alt then I would wait and see if it fixes it
    OR
    if you can get the symptoms when you are stopped but engine running check the voltage at the battery terminals

I have assumed that fuses, connections, terminals for security etc etc have all been checked... at least twice
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, the auto sparky shop checked the fuses. Just seems odd that it only started when they put the 2 new batteries in.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure, whatever the reason that might have caused the old alternator to fail is still not there. There might be some sort of short circuit in the alternator lines which might have caused the alternator regulator/diodes to cook. The same problem might be causing trouble with the replacement alternator as well.
    Anyway, wait for the replacement and see how it goes. In the meantime check the alternator wires to make sure none of them are damaged.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach