Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Hi Ross,
    Monitor
    Camera

The tap came with the truck, but needs replacing 'cos it drips too.

I did rip out a number of Telstra wires when running the cable for the camera. Behind the glove box was an antenna (small nextg type), & several similar cables that had been cut. These ran down the passenger side pillar behind the plastic trim, down to the floor & out through a large grommet to the canopy.

Does yours have these switches on the canopy doors (See pic below)? Any idea where the wires from them go to?

I note on the power distribution box in the canopy the andersen plug is rated at 35amps continuous. Have you looked at the wiring behind yours? If not I'd suggest you do before plugging too much into it. I reckon the main supply cable from the 2nd battery in the engine compartment, is way too light for the job. I intend to upgrade it.

regards
    Cuppa
    g`day cuppa
    if yours is extelstra the cabling will be fine behind the board
    iv`e had mine apart for additions and the cabling is 6mm i believe
    all to govt standards
    HELL NO !!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    On mine, the door alarm wires end up on the dash on the right hand side of the steering wheel, where there's a big yellow light and a loud buzzer. I can have the doors closed but not locked and the alarm goes off, or the doors can be open and the alarm goes off. Don't know where they start, but if you work backwards, it'll probably help.

Ross
    g`day Ross there is a reid switch behind the cover plate on the door handle inside the back compartment on all locks ,if you want to silence them pull the light out on the dash you will see the wiring to the alarm remove 1 wire and no more noise ,
    i have just had to replace the all the door handles on the rear compartment and the switches would`nt match the new door locks so they got replaced as well
    cost for 4 door locks $688.00 .....ouch hay
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowoolies View Post
    g`day Ross there is a reid switch behind the cover plate on the door handle inside the back compartment on all locks ,if you want to silence them pull the light out on the dash you will see the wiring to the alarm remove 1 wire and no more noise ,
    i have just had to replace the all the door handles on the rear compartment and the switches would`nt match the new door locks so they got replaced as well
    cost for 4 door locks $688.00 .....ouch hay
    Yes. ouch! I'm happy to leave the alarm on.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looking great Cuppa, well done mate
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What?? A trip to the UK versus finishing the trol?? Nahh .. cancel mate!! LOL

Safe travels and look forward to seeing the progression when you return!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long post

Well time for an update on my camper fit out.
    Little has actually changed since I last posted, but I have been doing some collecting & soon will have to start fitting the stuff I've collected.
    Firstly thanks to The Dogman & Dx Grunt I now have a pair of front recovery points to fit. I was amazed at how difficult it was to obtain them, but the guys knew someone over in the west, & they arrived in the mail today. See DX Grunt's pics of the same recovery points. I also got one of those recovery points that slide into a HR tow hitch receiver.

Ok so what goodies have I acquired: Firstly I bought two ARB fridges, a 60litre & a 35litre model, each with a slide, transit cover & tie down kit.
    To run these two fridges (using the 35l one as a freezer & the 60l as a fridge) independently of mains power, I've bought 3 x 120Ah Ritar AGM batteries, 1 x 130w solar panel (mount on cab roof) & 2 x folding 120w solar panels. In addition I got a Redarc BCDC1240 DC to DC multi stage charger & solar regulator. When travelling the Redarc unit should keep the batteries charged, but when stopping for more than 2 or 3 nights we'll get the folding panels out. My experience is that even on bad solar days you still get some input & bearing this in mind have sized the batteries to give us a 'buffer' of 3 to 5 days of crap weather. I'll keep the existing dual battery setup (winch) as is except for adding a cable with a switch in it beween the winch battery & the fridge batteries for emergency use.

I have also got together with 5 other folks from another forum for a group buy of some Nasa Marine battery monitors from the UK. This has saved us around $65 per unit compared to buying off the Aussie distributor. Monitor comes with wiring kit & 100amp shunt, to allow measuring of power going in & out of the batteries. My one gripe about the BCDC1240 is that it has no readout other than a few flashing LED's. I like to know what my batteries are doing. Note: In the wiring diagram below, it is only an 'outline', there will need to be a more detailed one with all all cabling, fuses, relays & wires sizes etc at some point.

The Shippshape rooftop tent is now mounted on top of the canopy, but I had a little mishap with it recently. It was bought secondhand, & the elastic straps that secure it's outer cover had perished. On a particularly windy day the elastics let go. Other drivers waved & pointed at me so I stopped to see what the problem was. The whole tent was open & billowing in the wind. Luckily a good samaritan stopped to help me get it under control & tied down. I need to get a new outer cover made up anyway, because it folds out to be a wall, & at the moment doesn't reach the ground because the Patrol's canopy is quite high. We got full annexe walls with the tent, that make up a small room, but not one that is mossie & fly proof, something we think is important , especially when cooking. The annexe walls are also a bit of a pain to zip on (probably why they look unused). So we've decided we won't bother with the annexe walls, & instead will get an Oztent (RV-3) for use as a windproof living room & haven from flies & bities when needed. It will fit into one side (the long side) of the under tray compartment if we store it in a slightly wider bag than the one it is supplied with.

Hot water is an essential item to keep MrsTea happy. In the bus we have a Sigmar Marine 20 litre heat exchanger HWS (calorifier) with added insulation. 15 minutes driving gives scalding hot water, which remains hot enough to shower under for up to 3 days. A tempering valve enables safe tap temperatures to be dialled in. It also has a 240v element for when 'shore power' is availlable. Longer stops saw us use the kettle on the stove or the billy on the fire for hot water. It suits us so I decided we'd do much the same thing in the Patrol. However I sourced a 22 litre calorifier (pic below) direct from the UK manufacturer & around half the price of any similar units (Sigmar Marine & Isotemp) available in Oz, & these come standard with a tempering valve, one way valve & pressure relief valve, all fitted. On the others these are expensive 'extras' you have to fit yourself. I'll box it in & add extra insulation. The make is Surecal, & I found them good to deal with. Because in the bus I always get a slight drip from the PRV once the water is hot & the tank pressurised, for the Patrol system I also got an expansion tank to prevent this.

Haven't got the stove yet, but planning to get a Lido Junior low pressure stove with a griller.

I have a rough layout in mind, but I'll need to play around with some cardboard to see what feels best in use. I did a similar mock up for the bus, & would've made a couple of silly (but difficult to reverse) mistakes if I hadn't.

Still not sure about how much water we'll be able to carry. I'm hoping we can manage 120 litres in addition to the existing 30 litre tank, but will have to watch the weight.

Geez I've rambled on a bit, hope it's of interest to someone!

Regards
    Cuppa
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cuppa; 18th November 2011 at 11:10 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

3kids (25th March 2013), Clunk (19th November 2011), Dark 1 (29th November 2011), Finly Owner (18th November 2011), FNQGU (17th January 2016), frenzy (24th March 2012), NissanGQ4.2 (24th March 2012), nowoolies (23rd November 2011), Old Wal (22nd September 2012), ripper (25th April 2012), rusty_nail (29th January 2012), Silver (19th November 2011), Woof (19th November 2011)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's one cool camper!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maaaate they are awesome mods; so much power, cold storage, days of hot water and one of the better roof toppers.
    She is a beauty.
    Interesting to follow yours and Rossco's work up of your pods.
    Mine is quite primative compared to you two.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Maaaate they are awesome mods; so much power, cold storage, days of hot water and one of the better roof toppers.
    She is a beauty.
    Interesting to follow yours and Rossco's work up of your pods.
    Mine is quite primative compared to you two.
    Cheers
    Macca
    Awesome, Cuppa. I love pics. Looking forward to seeing pics of the inside set up when it's all opened out.

Macca, Macca, Macca. Realistically, mine really doesn't have any frills. When we pull up, up goes the annex/awning, everything gets pulled out and the only thing left in the pod is the mattress.

I like to keep it simple. At the moment, the only thing I'm settling on is the solar (tomorrow) and getting measured up for a shelf or two so that I can put all my sheet on, and an roof mounted DVD.

Love the rooftop tent. Was going that way, but the missus said "no." I've fallen from my pod and landed on all fours - twice now! So It was a good move. Plus, we're not spring chickens any more. Happy to climb into bed using a 3 step ladder. lol.

Bring on the pics!

Well done, and take care out there.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another top ute setup, keep the pics coming.
    Watch out there's a Poo "Yota" lurking in the shadows !

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast