Thread: Cuppa's Camper

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Cuppa,
    Awsome build mate.

Im looking at the BCDC1240 also, what brand solar panels are you running and where did you get them from, I see everyone these days advertises them, but im not sure which ones to stay away from or whats good, i'll probably only want one 120w portable setup.

Cheers,
    Shaun..
    1998 GU - RD28t > TJM Bull Bar > Dual Batteries > Boost & EGT Gauges > Turbo Timer > Minor Engine Mod's.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great mate, keep those pix coming, thinking of going that way myself down the track.
    Cheers Steve

Dents are like scratches with better stories.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...udducks-tourer

Thanks
    Thanked 7,438 Times in 3,009 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaunous View Post
    Hey Cuppa,
    Awsome build mate.

Im looking at the BCDC1240 also, what brand solar panels are you running and where did you get them from, I see everyone these days advertises them, but im not sure which ones to stay away from or whats good, i'll probably only want one 120w portable setup.

Cheers,
    Shaun..
    Hi Shaun, sorry I've been slow to answer, I haven't been here for a while & only just saw your post. My solar panels came from OzPlaza on ebay. 120w folding units for $290 each. I bought two from them, but one was damaged in transit. They replaced it after a minor drama. Panels seem fine & others I know have bought them too & are happy. Another seller on Ebay that folks seem happy with is 'Bit Deals' who also have good prices. That's where I'd go if I were buying again. The folding panels come with lightweight cabling & an el cheapo regulator attached to the rear of the panels. I'll junk the reg, & replace the cabling with heavier wire to avoid voltage drop. The back of the panels is not really a good place for the regulator anyway, best as close to the batteries as possible.

When the broken panel was replaced they did not want the damaged one returned, so I scored half a folding 120 watter for nix, so I now plan on having the fixed 125w panel, plus 2 x 120w folding panels & a single 60w one. The broken panel (glass completely shattered) has reduced output but is in use at home for trickle charging some old batteries I use for electric fencing, utilising one of the el cheapo regulators they came with, & with some clear film stuck over it to prevent me getting glass slivers in my hands. :-)

Regards
    Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you pick up an ex telstra ute just from an auction??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day mattyh,
    I bought from a company in Melbourne called Orix. ( http://www.orix.com.au/used-cars/moorabbin.html ). They lease the vehicles to Telstra, & then sell them to the public when they are 4 or 5 years old. As I understand it, they only sell the better ones & send any that might be a bit suss to the auctions. They are like a car yard, & were the first such place I ever bought a vehicle from, all previous vehicles being bought privately. Came with a 3 month warranty, & I got my own inspection done at a 4wd place 'cos I didn't trust the RACV report provided. It was $100 well spent as it resulted in a list of things I wanted them to fix, which they did without a quibble. I'd buy from them again. Vehicle has a full mechanical history from Telstra.

cheers
    Cuppa

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Cuppa, how did you go with the recovery points mate?
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dogman View Post
    Hey Cuppa, how did you go with the recovery points mate?
    Hi Dogman,
    The recovery points from Brett fitted on without problem thanks. I should take some pix ....... I'm due to post a few more, & having made a small start on the camper fit-out have a couple things to point the camera at now. In the past week I've pulled out all the Telstra shelving, fitted additional batteries (3x120Ah) inside the canopy & made storage arrangements for 300w of solar panels. All bolted frameworks as my only welding skills are with oxy, & I no longer have the oxy gear. I do have an arc welder, but have rarely used it, blowing holes in 1.2mm walled square tube when I had a practice run last week convinced me that wasn't the way to go & living way out of town makes getting someone else to do it impractical. Riv nuts (nutserts) are my friend having recently acquired an air operated insertion tool. Will try to get some pix tomorrow.

Regards
    Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, a little done & some pics to prove it! ;-)
    Lot's still to do.
    'House' batteries secured, Solar panel storage sorted, recovery points fitted & rooftop tent fitted. (You can see the tent is currently secured with ropes, it needs a replacement top tarp to be made up incoprporating a more convenient tie down arrangement. Tool is the air operated nutsert (riv-nut) insertion tool.

cheers
    Cuppa
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cuppa; 31st January 2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Removed Rego no from pic

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

AB (30th January 2012), DX grunt (19th March 2012), rusty_nail (20th March 2012), Woof (31st January 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,847 Times in 8,606 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm very jealous Cuppa, looks great!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yours or Rosscoe's ......... I can't decide which one i'll have when you pass on .......... Oh stuff it i'll just have both !

Top stuff Cuppa really looks the goods.
    Watch out there's a Poo "Yota" lurking in the shadows !

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark 1 For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (19th March 2012)

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast