Thread: Child restraint anchor points

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Child restraint anchor points

So just bought a 2011 gu patrol wagon today and need to install anchor point in middle seats of second row and and each seat of third row. Has anyone done this yet?, I'm thinking of welding a plate to the underbody which will provide plenty meat to tap thread the anchor points to. Any thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This nasty issue has been discussed elsewhere. I think Kallen, aka biggqwesty had a solution. Not sure and no promises.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    CRAB bar....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (24th November 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would not weld and thread. Just drill through the floor and use a big washer both sides of the floor pan.

I have a centre restraint in the GQ. Not legal but I take safety seriously and have been absolutely satisfied that what I did was safe for my children.

As clunk stated a Crab bar would work and puts the restraint at the roof rather than the floor.

The problem with the second row seat is it is a 50/50 split seat. You need to stop the restraint falling down the split. I used a piece of 50 x 50 x 4mm aluminium angle 1200 long along the top of the back of the seat and set my seat in the middle. Worked a treat.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm I can't honestly say I'd recommend fitting a none tested anchor point but that's up to you. I don't know what options you have for the second seat in third row but for middle row you can have an anchor point fitted above the barn door in roof and if your model doesn't have rear ac I believe you can have one fitted in front of the rear roof light which will make it close to middle row and eliminate straps slipping down between seats as the point is high.

CRA Bar is no where near roof. It will be just below the top of middle row seats that bolts from one side of car to the other where the square tabs are in trim.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    CRAB bar....
    Thanks Clunk, you have proved you might remember things even in your old age

This is what is needed.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossko07 View Post
    Hmm I can't honestly say I'd recommend fitting a none tested anchor point but that's up to you. I don't know what options you have for the second seat in third row but for middle row you can have an anchor point fitted above the barn door in roof and if your model doesn't have rear ac I believe you can have one fitted in front of the rear roof light which will make it close to middle row and eliminate straps slipping down between seats as the point is high.

CRA Bar is no where near roof. It will be just below the top of middle row seats that bolts from one side of car to the other where the square tabs are in trim.

Sorry I may not have been clear. I have fitted proper rated restraints available from any baby store to all 3 seating positions in the back of the GQ. I use the angle to create a continuous seat head only so the split doesn't play a part. The anchor points are all the same and as designed. Basically allowing for a floor restraint rather than a Crab bar getting in the way.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I definitely want to have the anchor points certified, otherwise no insurance will cover any injury caused in an accident, of course I intend not to have an accident but you never know and it could be from someone else. Only a few mths ago I had another vehicle run up the back of me, so can't control everything.
    I was mindful of the split seats and hope putting a sleeve over the split is considered safe by those who certify the restraint.
    Does anyone know where to have a restraint certified?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scesi View Post
    Yeah I definitely want to have the anchor points certified, otherwise no insurance will cover any injury caused in an accident, of course I intend not to have an accident but you never know and it could be from someone else. Only a few mths ago I had another vehicle run up the back of me, so can't control everything.
    I was mindful of the split seats and hope putting a sleeve over the split is considered safe by those who certify the restraint.
    Does anyone know where to have a restraint certified?
    Search "Certified child restraint installer" in google for everything you need to know for each state.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way I found to have a certified anchor point for the middle seat of the middle row was to have a crab bar fitted. The problem with that is you cant use the 3rd row of seats at the same time because the bar sits right in front of the rear seats.
    You might be able to get an anchor point in the roof some where but then you may still have the ptoblem of the rear seats because of the straps going to the roof anchor point.
    There are ways around everything but im not sure many of them will be legal for insurance purposes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast