2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think they would be good to have just to see work out what might be ideal tyre pressures in different situations and also if you changed tyre brands or type eg; highway , all terrain or mud tyres . there is lots of other things i need first but definately on the wish list .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello jack, visited the ppa car audio a few days ago.
    http://www.ppacaraudio.com.au/index....product_id=488

where I added a tyre pressure monitoring system to my Nissan Patrol, that involves a digital readout on the dashboard with a sensor on each tyre, I will now know what each tire pressure is on each wheel and i will know if i get a tire pressure drop, also will get an audible alarm if the wheel gets too hot.
    installation was simple the item screwed on to each valve and the device was automatically programmed.
    how good is that
    i will enjoy long trips more now with the added feature to my Nissan Patrol.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had one similar to this for a couple of years.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PREMIUM-T...cAAOSwo0JWNXDX

The beauty of it is that you don't need "ANOTHER" screen on the dash. The TPMS comes as a module that fits in series with any reverse camera video lead and everything is displayed on your existing screen. It all hides away neatly under the dash. No exposed wires and other crap.

It also has a small dipole antenna which I have hidden under the passenger side "A" pillar cover - so you always get excellent signals from the tyres.

It can be set up for 4, 6, 10, or 22 tyres. I have it set up for 10 so it monitors all 5 tyres on the Patrol and all 5 on the caravan.

Initially I had the internal valve stem sensors but they are a pain when the batteries die as they are not replaceable (the ones I had anyway) and the tyres take a while to air down - so I discarded them and now have the valve cap type.

They work great and only have to save one tyre to pay for themselves. Also when I tow the van I have confidence that all is well. On my travells I have seen a number of vans with destroyed tyres and the damage they do to the side of the vans costs more to repair than the tyre.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @ Bill how much were the extra sensors for your Van,

I only have cheapish valve caps and so far have proved ok
    They will turn red if pressure drops below 36 psi so far all have
    stayed green.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    @ Bill how much were the extra sensors for your Van,

I only have cheapish valve caps and so far have proved ok
    They will turn red if pressure drops below 36 psi so far all have
    stayed green.
    Sorry TD - I can't remember. A mate of mine was living in China at the time and he bought them for me over there and sent them over. The whole thing with the ten internal sensors cost me $140 - but I can't remember what the valve cap sensors cost that he sent over.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

threedogs (11th January 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by george014 View Post
    Hello jack, visited the ppa car audio a few days ago.
    http://www.ppacaraudio.com.au/index....product_id=488

where I added a tyre pressure monitoring system to my Nissan Patrol, that involves a digital readout on the dashboard with a sensor on each tyre, I will now know what each tire pressure is on each wheel and i will know if i get a tire pressure drop, also will get an audible alarm if the wheel gets too hot.
    installation was simple the item screwed on to each valve and the device was automatically programmed.
    how good is that
    i will enjoy long trips more now with the added feature to my Nissan Patrol.
    Congrats mate,
    surely you will enjoy your trips now with the best quality products.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Fellas,
    I just installed a tyre pressure monitoring system on the Patrol and camper trailer. It is a Steelmate Automotive TP-V2, purchased from Supercheap Auto online for $400.
    It monitors either the 4 wheels of the Patrol or all 6 including the camper trailer. It is quick and easy to install and to remove the units on the tube stems with a small spanner (included) for locking on the valve cap monitors. How it will go in the rough stuff I don't know yet, however as I am not a mud wallower it should suit my driving style etc.
    My reason for installing them was that last year I completely shredded a rear tyre (first time ever) on The Gibb River Road in the Kimberley. It was down to the rim and the joys of laying in the dirt for the hour it took me to put on a spare are best forgotten.It needed a bit more than a couple of plugs to fix it, even duct tape was out of the question!! Only one vehicle passed us during this episode, right at the start, a truck was carrying a dead 4WD (not a Patrol) and its camper out of Charnley River Station. A new Bridgestone Dueler tyre in Derby cost $350 ($269 Port Headland, WA, and $252 in Newcastle, NSW) so the economics are clear, not to mention the safety factor.
    I used the TPMS on a trip to the ST Albans Folk Fstival and did around 340 kms with no problem. On driving down to the local car mechanic for pink slip I did not bother connecting the monitoring unit to the power and 'bugger' me if I did not get a flat tyre. A nail had gone into the the rear LHS tyre. I now intend to use the system all the time and not just on long trips as I had originally thought to do.
    The internal monitoring systems that are installed in some European cars apparently can be easily destroyed by tyre changers that are not used to dealing with them and are not as easy to fit.
    It seems to be a case of 'you pays your money and hope you made the right choice' or not!
    Cheers MichaelIMGP0441.JPG
    Last edited by micknor51; 29th April 2016 at 11:48 PM.
    2008 GU DX Auto, dual batteries, Safari snorkel, Warn winch. Engine standard CRD 3L

11. The Following User Says Thank You to micknor51 For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (30th April 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Patrol is fitted with a TyreDog TPMS, had it since 2010.
    They are the cap type as we have road and off road tyres, never use the locking collar as the moment it comes loose the pressure drops, not happened yet.
    They are quick to adjust alarm parameters, so easy to use. I use long stems as that's what's on the rim, a positive is the sensor can not hit the rim on corrugations. They are also rubber so have some give when hitting sticks etc.
    As an insurance we put a plug of foam over the steam to stop the stem bouncing around too much.
    Last weekend was the first time they alarmed, a tyre had staked loosing a psi per minute, when running at 18 there wasn't much spare! The alarm went off at the set pressure of 17, dropping further as we kept going.
    We were in a bad spot to change a tyre so pumped it up to 32 psi to find the leak so it could be plugged, couldn't find the leak so continued on, had to pump it up again to 42 psi which got us out of the area we were in to a safe place for removing the tyre which we found was staked on the inside and plugged.
    What this gadget did was allow us to get out of the mud and hills without destroying the tyre, or popping it off the bead necessitating a risky change.
    So first time it worked, it saved our bacon. Well worth it.
    Last edited by macca; 30th April 2016 at 08:03 AM.
    Cheers
    Macca

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (1st May 2016), Robo (30th April 2016)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    I used to think that until I had one... total pain in the arse.
    Threw the display in the bin and told the tyre fitters to do the same with the valve sensor assy when I had new tyres fitted.
    Always losing connectivity, battery issues, forgetting the settings, slow to air down/up etc etc

Might of been a dodgy one but put me off the pricks of things for ever
    Do ya remember the brand etc? so we can all avoid it.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast