Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breather lines on 2014 GU

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So here's how it went... Oh, and I should point out I did this when the car was cold. I got up close and personal with the exhaust system at times so would have been a bit unpleasant if the car had been run first.

Original fitting and hose
    20151127_213518sml.jpg

Removed the clip holding the hose and disconnected it.
    20151127_213804sml.jpg

Here's a comparison of the original fitting and the replacement quick connect fitting
    20151127_214517sml.jpg

This is the chassis cross-member that the other end of the original hose terminated into. There's a similar barbed fitting screwed in there too. I removed it but it could simply be left in place.
    20151127_220153sml.jpg

The kit came with 2x straight and 2x angled fittings for replacing the ones on the diffs, the gearbox and the transfer case. I think the angled ones are generally intended to fit to the gearbox and transfer but I ended up going with an angled connector on the rear diff because a) it allowed me to keep the hose well away from the exhaust pipe and b) there's little chance I'll be able to get to the transfer or gearbox ones to replace them. I decided to route the breather hose with the vacuum lines for the diff locker (marked) since they end up in the engine bay next to the other breather hoses.
    20151128_122137sml.jpg

The vacuum lines become slack rubber hoses forward of the rear axle to cope with suspension movement. I simply followed them with the breather hose leaving a similar amount of slack. The flex conduit was simply to stop any friction damage to the poly hose. If it were a rubber hose I would have been happy to leave it unshielded.
    20151128_125106sml.jpg

After that the vacuum lines follow another chassis cross-member to the other side of the car. I decided to go above that cross-member to keep it away from the exhaust pipe on the passenger side. There's a foil insulated pipe that crosses in the same place so I just used that as an extra heat shield.
    20151128_125116sml.jpg

That get's the pipe to the passenger side chassis rail. As luck would have it, there's some plastic clips that carry the metal vacuum lines down the passenger side and there's a spare slot. I used them but cable tied to be sure - plastic clips break eventually.
    20151128_130246sml.jpg

Just behind the front wheel arch the exhaust pipe gets quite close to the vacuum lines. I decided to stay well clear and crossed the top of the chassis where there is a foam-insulated pipe for the A/C system.
    20151128_133644sml.jpg

I just followed the forward end of that to inside the wheel arch and up into the back of the engine bay (pic does not show final position of pipe). This came up right in front of the firewall and I just brought it up leaving a little bit of slack and fixed the filter end at the top near the rear of the engine.
    20151128_133728sml.jpg
    Last edited by terra_australis; 30th November 2015 at 02:01 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to terra_australis For This Useful Post:

AB (30th November 2015), Dr Gary (30th November 2015), MudRunnerTD (30th November 2015), MyGU8 (25th February 2016), Toy-Eta (10th July 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Greta write up mate, thanks for sharing.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries
    I'll add to this when I do the other ones, but they are a much simpler job since I'll be utilising most of the existing pipework.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have moved your thread into the DIY section mate, keep adding to it, adds to the resource for sure, appreciate the extra time it takes to take pics etc. Good job mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The perfect thread for me to follow.
    Great effort!
    2012 GU8

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for post. Which kit did you use?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great detailed thread with lots of good photo's! Well done!

Has given me the confidence to tackle one of the to-do jobs I was thinking about palming off to the local mech,

Cheers!
    -Westie
    '09 3L CRD Gu Wagon - 3" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, 2" OME, Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bull Bar, Warn Winch, Side steps, Safari Snorkel, ARB Alloy Rack, ARB on Board Compressor, Dual Batteries, Kaymar Rear Dual Bar, EBC, Reversing Camera, Outback Drawers, Fridge Slide, ARB Cargo Barrier & Divider, Rear Door Diner, Long Ranger Tanks, GME 3350s/6.6DBI, 240 Lightforce XGT's, 42' Roof Mounted Illuminator Light Bar.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do people modify the gearbox and tranny breathers, I've not looked, but read that they are quite awkward to get to.

I was just thinking of buying some tube for my rear diff and running it up into the body rear so it can vent near that air inlet by the rear window. But I've not done any work at looking into that to see if it's possible.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gearbox and Transfer case are not that hard. Their breathers are joined together. I had to go to Pirtek and get a adapter from memory, so i can adapt the metal breather lines into the plastic breather lines. All 4 of mine go into the engine bay.
    2005 TD42TI

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terra_australis View Post
    From there they go into this plug in the left of the engine bay above the front left wheel arch. With the 2" lift in my vehicle that plug ends up just over 1m from the ground
    Attachment 62792

So what happens to them on the other side of there?
    Yeah, does anyone know what happens to the tubes on the other side ???????

I finally got around to looking at this yesterday and thought, if they go up a little bit higher they'll already be at about the height they'd be if I put them on the top of the firewall.

I'm wondering if there's much advantage to extending these from group of breathers???

The rear breather is a different story.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast