Thread: Breather lines on 2014 GU

Threaded View

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So here's how it went... Oh, and I should point out I did this when the car was cold. I got up close and personal with the exhaust system at times so would have been a bit unpleasant if the car had been run first.

Original fitting and hose
    20151127_213518sml.jpg

Removed the clip holding the hose and disconnected it.
    20151127_213804sml.jpg

Here's a comparison of the original fitting and the replacement quick connect fitting
    20151127_214517sml.jpg

This is the chassis cross-member that the other end of the original hose terminated into. There's a similar barbed fitting screwed in there too. I removed it but it could simply be left in place.
    20151127_220153sml.jpg

The kit came with 2x straight and 2x angled fittings for replacing the ones on the diffs, the gearbox and the transfer case. I think the angled ones are generally intended to fit to the gearbox and transfer but I ended up going with an angled connector on the rear diff because a) it allowed me to keep the hose well away from the exhaust pipe and b) there's little chance I'll be able to get to the transfer or gearbox ones to replace them. I decided to route the breather hose with the vacuum lines for the diff locker (marked) since they end up in the engine bay next to the other breather hoses.
    20151128_122137sml.jpg

The vacuum lines become slack rubber hoses forward of the rear axle to cope with suspension movement. I simply followed them with the breather hose leaving a similar amount of slack. The flex conduit was simply to stop any friction damage to the poly hose. If it were a rubber hose I would have been happy to leave it unshielded.
    20151128_125106sml.jpg

After that the vacuum lines follow another chassis cross-member to the other side of the car. I decided to go above that cross-member to keep it away from the exhaust pipe on the passenger side. There's a foil insulated pipe that crosses in the same place so I just used that as an extra heat shield.
    20151128_125116sml.jpg

That get's the pipe to the passenger side chassis rail. As luck would have it, there's some plastic clips that carry the metal vacuum lines down the passenger side and there's a spare slot. I used them but cable tied to be sure - plastic clips break eventually.
    20151128_130246sml.jpg

Just behind the front wheel arch the exhaust pipe gets quite close to the vacuum lines. I decided to stay well clear and crossed the top of the chassis where there is a foam-insulated pipe for the A/C system.
    20151128_133644sml.jpg

I just followed the forward end of that to inside the wheel arch and up into the back of the engine bay (pic does not show final position of pipe). This came up right in front of the firewall and I just brought it up leaving a little bit of slack and fixed the filter end at the top near the rear of the engine.
    20151128_133728sml.jpg
    Last edited by terra_australis; 30th November 2015 at 03:01 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to terra_australis For This Useful Post:

AB (30th November 2015), Dr Gary (30th November 2015), MudRunnerTD (30th November 2015), MyGU8 (25th February 2016), Toy-Eta (10th July 2016)